Girl777

Form I-131 and biometrics (Merged threads)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

has anyone ever filed Form I-131 in US after getting green card. I am moving to US to live with my husband but my son decided to stay in Canada. I don't want to lose his immigration in case he changes his mind in future. I found out about this form I-131 , which, as I understand, he can file from US upon entry and green card issuance and then leave back to live in Canada for two years. Then such form needs to be re-filed, etc,

Question, while waiting for biometrics, which seems to take 6 weeks or so, can he go back to live in Canada and just come back for biometrics to US when time comes  or he has to stay in US for 6 weeks? It is problematic with school in Canada, so I wanted to find out....

And in general, let me know if my understanding of how this works is wrong. Has anyone used the form or knows anything about it? I found link here.

Application for Travel Document | USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

After he immigrates to the USA, yes you can file for a Re-entry permit.  He must wait until he receives it, or at least come back to get it before he departs for any lengthy absence.  Note that any entry to the USA during the planned absence, is  likely to invalidate the permit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Girl777 said:

Thank you. Are you saying he really can't live in Canada with this form filed and visit me in US for parenting time regularly? I believe you stated that any travel of that type will annule the form filed?

I believe that is correct.  The permit is for an extended absence.  Entering the USA would end the absence.  Research more though. I'm not absolutely certain.  My only experience is with people who are definitely going to be gone more than a year.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hacking has a show tomorrow, you could ask him.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• powerpuff changed the title to Form I-131 and biometrics (Merged threads)
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
16 hours ago, pushbrk said:

After he immigrates to the USA, yes you can file for a Re-entry permit.  He must wait until he receives it, or at least come back to get it before he departs for any lengthy absence.  Note that any entry to the USA during the planned absence, is  likely to invalidate the permit.

They would be able to send the permit to the embassy in the country no need to come back for it or even wait for it to be approved before leaving. My spouse did a reentry permit when we relocated to Hungary and the permit was sent to the US embassy here with no issues. The permit took almost 18 months to process. We applied a month or so before we left the US. Did not have any issues traveling while it was processing. We took the receipt notice with us and to show  at the border crossing if needed but was never asked for. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.