Jonrodrii

K1 Visa Medical - Covid19 booster

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Good afternoon,

I wanted to give you a quick update. This morning, I attended my medical examination where they conducted a chest X-ray and checked my vision, ears, mouth, chest, skin, lungs, heart, and blood pressure. They also took a blood test and reviewed my vaccination records.

At the time, I went completely blank and didn’t ask the questions I now have. When the nurse reviewed my vaccination records, she mentioned that I needed a booster for Td/IPV (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio) since my last one was over 10 years ago. I have since received the booster elsewhere and sent them the certification. Now, I'm waiting for the nurse to confirm that everything is in order.

However, she also stated that I need a Covid-19 booster. I currently have had two doses and one booster, but since the booster was over 12 months ago, I require another. I’m reluctant to get the Covid-19 booster. What would happen if I decide not to get it, considering I am already fully vaccinated with one booster? If it is absolutely essential, will I need to get it done before my interview on the 18th of July?

If I choose not to get the Covid-19 booster, will they refuse to send my medical results to the embassy? Currently, in the UK, Covid-19 vaccinations are only issued to those aged 75+ or to individuals with compromised immune systems. If I were to go private, it would cost me over £100 for a booster, whereas a few months ago, it was free.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Jon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You don't need the Covid-19 booster in order to get your K1 approved and move to the US to marry, but you will need it once you are adjusting status. It is advisable that you make the most of UK NHS and/or more affordable private clinics to receive a booster before you move, rather than pay a much higher premium to receive what you need in the States.

Q. Why do immigrants (including adjustment of status applicants) have to show proof they have received certain vaccinations?
A. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii), a noncitizen who seeks admission as an immigrant or who seeks adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident, who fails to show proof that they were vaccinated against vaccine-preventable diseases, is inadmissible and therefore ineligible for admission or adjustment of status.

(https://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/vaccination-requirements)

The choice is yours.

FYI, depending on your location, Boots offer Covid boosters: https://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/covid-19-information-products-and-testing/private-covid-vaccination

They cost £98, so cheaper than most private GPs, but you may have to factor in some travel costs to get to one that offers the service.

Edited by smilingstone

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03

I-129F NOA1: 2024-04-17

I-129F RFE: 2024-06-05

I-129F NOA2: 2024-08-02

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jonrodrii said:

Good afternoon,

I wanted to give you a quick update. This morning, I attended my medical examination where they conducted a chest X-ray and checked my vision, ears, mouth, chest, skin, lungs, heart, and blood pressure. They also took a blood test and reviewed my vaccination records.

At the time, I went completely blank and didn’t ask the questions I now have. When the nurse reviewed my vaccination records, she mentioned that I needed a booster for Td/IPV (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio) since my last one was over 10 years ago. I have since received the booster elsewhere and sent them the certification. Now, I'm waiting for the nurse to confirm that everything is in order.

However, she also stated that I need a Covid-19 booster. I currently have had two doses and one booster, but since the booster was over 12 months ago, I require another. I’m reluctant to get the Covid-19 booster. What would happen if I decide not to get it, considering I am already fully vaccinated with one booster? If it is absolutely essential, will I need to get it done before my interview on the 18th of July?

If I choose not to get the Covid-19 booster, will they refuse to send my medical results to the embassy? Currently, in the UK, Covid-19 vaccinations are only issued to those aged 75+ or to individuals with compromised immune systems. If I were to go private, it would cost me over £100 for a booster, whereas a few months ago, it was free.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the update. I have my medical Friday and when I spoke to the medical place a few weeks ago they did mention about the Covid vaccine booster and like you I have had 2 doses and 1 booster so this is something that I need to arrange as well although I'm confused why I need another one as since I had my booster I have visited my partner since the vaccination requirement for covid so it's interesting that applicants are being asked to get another dose of it. Which vaccines did they give you today? 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Timeline
10 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the update. I have my medical Friday and when I spoke to the medical place a few weeks ago they did mention about the Covid vaccine booster and like you I have had 2 doses and 1 booster so this is something that I need to arrange as well although I'm confused why I need another one as since I had my booster I have visited my partner since the vaccination requirement for covid so it's interesting that applicants are being asked to get another dose of it. Which vaccines did they give you today? 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Good Morning.

so this is the checklist that the nurse will use to check if you comply with the vaccination requirement. For me, only the 2 highlighted were missing, so I had to get the 10 years booster which they charged £40 and now I need to do just the Covid vaccination booster.

hope this helps.

Jon

IMG_1436.jpeg

Timeline

I just want to post here for any future readers that it is totally worth checking with your GP to see what boosters they can offer you free of charge.

I sent the full list to my surgery and they said they could provide me with boosters for Td/IPV and MMR. I received both on the same day via an appointment with a nurse.

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03

I-129F NOA1: 2024-04-17

I-129F RFE: 2024-06-05

I-129F NOA2: 2024-08-02

Timeline
13 hours ago, Jonrodrii said:

Good Morning.

so this is the checklist that the nurse will use to check if you comply with the vaccination requirement. For me, only the 2 highlighted were missing, so I had to get the 10 years booster which they charged £40 and now I need to do just the Covid vaccination booster.

hope this helps.

Jon

IMG_1436.jpeg

Hi Jon,

That's great - that does help a lot. When is your Covid booster?

Timeline
7 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi Jon,

That's great - that does help a lot. When is your Covid booster?

I haven’t booked it yet because NHS doesn’t do it for free anymore for any below 75 years old, I tried to book it privately but seems like a shortage? Because the dates are so far away, I’m concerned because my interview is coming up soon and I will not have my Jab booster, however I’m sure I won’t have any problem doing it after my interview but just before I move to the US if everything goes well.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Jonrodrii said:

I haven’t booked it yet because NHS doesn’t do it for free anymore for any below 75 years old, I tried to book it privately but seems like a shortage? Because the dates are so far away, I’m concerned because my interview is coming up soon and I will not have my Jab booster, however I’m sure I won’t have any problem doing it after my interview but just before I move to the US if everything goes well.

Hi Jon,

I had my medical today and I had the Tetanus booster and the Hepatitis B vaccines. I need to book the Covid one as well. I did ask them whether this will delay the medical report being sent to the embassy and the nurse said they can withhold the medical report but only if I wanted them to if I want to get the Covid vaccine first otherwise if not then they can send it over to the embassy and said that I need to make sure I have got the vaccine sorted for the Adjustment of Status. I have decided to try and get the Covid vaccine before my interview but if I'm not able to then they said I can just ring them and send an email 2-3 weeks before my interview informing them to send my medical report to the embassy.

My GP surgery does Hepatitis B vaccinations (I already knew they did as I rang them about a month ago regarding it) so I will contact them regarding the 2nd dose. The only other one I will need to sort is the flu jab but they didn't give me that as it's not flu season yet.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

Hi Jon,

I had my medical today and I had the Tetanus booster and the Hepatitis B vaccines. I need to book the Covid one as well. I did ask them whether this will delay the medical report being sent to the embassy and the nurse said they can withhold the medical report but only if I wanted them to if I want to get the Covid vaccine first otherwise if not then they can send it over to the embassy and said that I need to make sure I have got the vaccine sorted for the Adjustment of Status. I have decided to try and get the Covid vaccine before my interview but if I'm not able to then they said I can just ring them and send an email 2-3 weeks before my interview informing them to send my medical report to the embassy.

My GP surgery does Hepatitis B vaccinations (I already knew they did as I rang them about a month ago regarding it) so I will contact them regarding the 2nd dose. The only other one I will need to sort is the flu jab but they didn't give me that as it's not flu season yet.

Hello, thank you for sharing this. Funny enough this morning the nurse/receptionist of the medical gave me a call requesting an update of my Covid booster situation and I explained to them how from the NHS and privately is hard to get an appointment due to the fact that apparently there is a shortage of Covid vaccines…

The closest private available is 100+ miles away from me and not until 2 weeks time where it seems that they have to pre-order/ request the dose… but since I have my interview on the 18th of July, they advised me to let them know latest Wednesdays if I wanted to send it to the embassy without the covid and to do it before change of status, so I will keep trying to see if I can get an appointment sooner otherwise I will just leave it until after interview.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jonrodrii said:

Hello, thank you for sharing this. Funny enough this morning the nurse/receptionist of the medical gave me a call requesting an update of my Covid booster situation and I explained to them how from the NHS and privately is hard to get an appointment due to the fact that apparently there is a shortage of Covid vaccines…

The closest private available is 100+ miles away from me and not until 2 weeks time where it seems that they have to pre-order/ request the dose… but since I have my interview on the 18th of July, they advised me to let them know latest Wednesdays if I wanted to send it to the embassy without the covid and to do it before change of status, so I will keep trying to see if I can get an appointment sooner otherwise I will just leave it until after interview.

Hi Jon, 

I did ask the nurse if boots could do it and she said they could. Just looking on their website now and can see appointments at one about just over 10 miles from me with availability at weekends too. I just can't see if boots provide some form of paperwork/certificate/email confirming vaccination. Think the other ones the medical place recommends are based in London

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

Hi Jon, 

I did ask the nurse if boots could do it and she said they could. Just looking on their website now and can see appointments at one about just over 10 miles from me with availability at weekends too. I just can't see if boots provide some form of paperwork/certificate/email confirming vaccination. Think the other ones the medical place recommends are based in London

I’m sure if you get it done through boots, you could ask them if they could update NHS by giving your NHS number , and if they can’t, you could go to your GP, show them that you have done the booster and ask them to update your vaccination record and then use the NHS app to get your booster certificate, the one we used to get to be able to travel back in the days, I’m assuming the medical would accept that as a proof? 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jonrodrii said:

I’m sure if you get it done through boots, you could ask them if they could update NHS by giving your NHS number , and if they can’t, you could go to your GP, show them that you have done the booster and ask them to update your vaccination record and then use the NHS app to get your booster certificate, the one we used to get to be able to travel back in the days, I’m assuming the medical would accept that as a proof? 

Hmm I'm not sure they could update the NHS as they are a private company. I don't think it necessarily has to be on your NHS record though - I think there just needs to be proof of it. I have just rang the closest Boots vaccination site to me and the person who answered said that they do a proof of vaccination but didn't know all the details that was on it as the pharmacist had gone home for the day and advised me to call back tomorrow or Monday and to speak to them then.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

Hmm I'm not sure they could update the NHS as they are a private company. I don't think it necessarily has to be on your NHS record though - I think there just needs to be proof of it. I have just rang the closest Boots vaccination site to me and the person who answered said that they do a proof of vaccination but didn't know all the details that was on it as the pharmacist had gone home for the day and advised me to call back tomorrow or Monday and to speak to them then.

I feel like what they meant was those blue cars that they gave out, and I’m sure they aren’t accepted as proof in the medical clinic, so yes, let me know once you find out please, much appreciated 

Timeline
16 hours ago, Jonrodrii said:

I feel like what they meant was those blue cars that they gave out, and I’m sure they aren’t accepted as proof in the medical clinic, so yes, let me know once you find out please, much appreciated 

Just rang boots at the one near me and the lady on the phone spoke to the pharmacist. Said that they don’t give you a print out but that the proof of vaccination will update on your NHS account.

There isn’t any information regarding this online when I looked on their website so just to make sure I am going to ring my GP surgery on Monday to see if they can confirm that is correct.

On the booking confirmation email for my medical there are 2 providers listed - Fleet Street Medical and Pharmadoctor.

Pharmadoctor doesn’t have a vaccination site near me but they do mention on their website about providing proof of vaccination for people. 

Fleet Street Clinic I tried ringing to ask about proof of vaccination but their phone lines are closed today. 

Timeline
On 6/29/2024 at 11:35 AM, SL2024 said:

Just rang boots at the one near me and the lady on the phone spoke to the pharmacist. Said that they don’t give you a print out but that the proof of vaccination will update on your NHS account.

There isn’t any information regarding this online when I looked on their website so just to make sure I am going to ring my GP surgery on Monday to see if they can confirm that is correct.

On the booking confirmation email for my medical there are 2 providers listed - Fleet Street Medical and Pharmadoctor.

Pharmadoctor doesn’t have a vaccination site near me but they do mention on their website about providing proof of vaccination for people. 

Fleet Street Clinic I tried ringing to ask about proof of vaccination but their phone lines are closed today. 

Hi,

So I rang Boots again today and they said that they don't update the NHS account for you but they have a card and they can put all the vaccination details on there for me to give to my GP surgery to update my vaccination records.

I checked with my GP surgery if they can do this and they said that they could do this. I then rang the medical place and asked if a pic of covid vaccination details or of updated vaccination record would be fine and they said that it would be. So I have booked my covid vaccine with Boots for next week. 

I need to get my 2nd Hepatitis B vaccine dose booked for later this month and look at getting my flu vaccine later in the year as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.