Renato D

N336 or I751? Denied N400 and I751 terminated!!

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Is it worth having the OP file an I290B?

The law says the following.  I think, from the text, the OP can write a letter without having to file an I-290B.  Need to know how the denial is worded.

eCFR :: 8 CFR 216.4 -- Joint petition to remove conditional basis of lawful permanent resident status for alien spouse.

"If the alien submits a written request that the interview be rescheduled or that the interview be waived, and the director determines that there is good cause for granting the request, the interview may be rescheduled or waived, as appropriate."

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Strongly agree with CrazyCat, as I also said in my own post. USCIS isn't clear about this things and people here get too comfortable saying "everybody should assume combo and should know to take the spouse" even though it is not written anywhere, USCIS not always send a letter making it clear it will be a combo interview AND also routinely approved ROCs without the spouse present (or even the applicant, considering approvals after the N-400 interview that happens remotely).

Rooting for you Renato D, please follow up with updates when you can - whatever route you take you have a good chance to revert this decision or apply again.

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

The law says the following.  I think the OP can write a letter without having to file an I-290B:

eCFR :: 8 CFR 216.4 -- Joint petition to remove conditional basis of lawful permanent resident status for alien spouse.

"If the alien submits a written request that the interview be rescheduled or that the interview be waived, and the director determines that there is good cause for granting the request, the interview may be rescheduled or waived, as appropriate."

Will a letter work if the denial is already in the system?  The written request part seems to refer to requesting a re-schedule or a waiver. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Will a letter work if the denial is already in the system?  The written request part seems to refer to requesting a re-schedule or a waiver. 

It's within the paragraph section (b)(3) "Termination of status for failure to appear for interview."  

"The alien shall be provided with written notification of the termination and the reasons therefor, and a notice to appear shall be issued placing the alien under removal proceedings. The alien may seek review of the decision to terminate his or her status in such proceedings, but the burden shall be on the alien to establish compliance with the interview requirements. If the alien submits a written request that the interview be rescheduled or that the interview be waived, and the director determines that there is good cause for granting the request, the interview may be rescheduled or waived,"

Hopefully, there will be instructions on the denial notice if OP can write a letter.  Maybe the options are (not necessarily in this order):

A.  Write a detailed letter requesting a re-schedule

B.  I-290B

C.  Refile I-751

D.  Argue in removal court before an immigration judge

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Is it worth having the OP file an I290B?  I know, probably lawyer territory, but could be done DIY.  Based on the fact that there was no notice of the I751 interview (based on my reading of the OP and responses), how can an I751 be denied simply because a spouse was not present at an unannounced interview.

Actually, that might be the most effective route to officially push it up the ladder, so to speak. 

There's a when to file a I-290B chart, it says you cannot appeal the decision but you can file a motion to have the matter reopened or reconsidered.

The note on no appeal is:

Conditional residents placed in removal proceedings when their Form I-751 or Form I-829 is denied may seek to have an immigration judge review the denial. This review would occur during the removal proceedings.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-290b/eligibility#Note_5

event.png

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

Thanks for all your help! All posts are incredibly valuable, even more so than some legal advice I’ve received (with all due respect to the legal profession).

I wrote a letter addressed directly to the director’s office, but my hope of receiving a response is quite low, maybe 1 in 10.

I still haven’t received the denial notice for my I-751 application.

I don’t want to get involved in any legal proceedings because they can take a long time and, cost-wise, they would likely be more expensive than both the I-751 and N-400 processes combined, as far as I know.

I understand that I have the right to appeal and that things might be in my favor, but nothing is 100% guaranteed.

So, I plan to reapply for the I-751 for now, and perhaps in the future, I will reapply for the N-400.

However, I still have a few doubts and would appreciate any help:

1. Do I have the legal right to reapply for the I-751?
  2. If so, could you provide any assistance with the cover letter, which I consider the most important part of the application?
  3. If I apply again the I-751 (my wife will definitely attend the interview this time), will this second request be weaker or worthless, since the first one was denied?
  4. Attached are my case status and history, but there is no tab with notification files in my account. Is it just for me? Can you access PDF file notifications in your account?

Thanks for all help!! 

FYI, case status and case history.

_case_status_blank.thumb.png.9af86e3893308f6a53ff177592e5fa47.png_case_hist_blank.thumb.png.836dd31ac89eb21f10d57e23b9dac845.png

Timeline

I just watched the Hacking show.  @Renato D, On the show, you said you received the I-751 interview letter which had the same date and time as the N-400 interview, then received a "transferred to another office" letter.  You never mentioned any of that at all in this thread.   That changes everything about your case situation, imo.  

Refile an I-751 asap....and both attend the interview. 

I would not sue USCIS.  You received proper notice, imo. You just failed to act.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
3 hours ago, Renato D said:

I understand that I have the right to appeal and that things might be in my favor,

From what I now know, you would not win an appeal, imho.  USCIS acted properly, imo.  Just refile a new I-751.  Good luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

57 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

On the show, you said you received the I-751 interview letter which had the same date and time as the N-400 interview, then received a "transferred to another office" letter.

Sure, here is the revised version:

---

Crazy Cat,

I was rethinking everything from the very beginning, and I realized that I am assuming (but not sure) that I received the first interview notice. After that, I definitely received the second notice (see picture) saying the office was going to be transferred to another one. Whether I received the appointment notification is a supposition at this point.

During the interview, under such pressure, I couldn't realize the confusion regarding the notifications. The IO, during the interview, printed the first interview notice and gave it to me. But after a while, she was looking at my documents and said, "this is what I am looking for...", which I now assume was the appointment notification. By the way, she kept the original document.

Anyway, the solution is what you are suggesting: file the I-751 again. No lawsuit.

For me, I was waiting for the interview, considering the confusion about the letters. And you know, USCIS help by phone is a waste of time...

---

_I-751 Second Notice.png

We were talking to a lawyer and she didn't recommend us to reapply for the I-751 until we receive a letter from the USCIS which might take a week. She said if they sent the case to the court our new application will be denied. It's all very confusing to us. Also if we reapply to the I-751 do I get a temporary extension for the permanent residency and is it safe to travel?

I have my son in Brazil and that's why this is important to me. I appreciate so much your help and time! No words!

One more question: my greencard is then not valid anymore? 

39 minutes ago, Renato D said:

Also if we reapply to the I-751 do I get a temporary extension for the permanent residency

Yes.

39 minutes ago, Renato D said:

is it safe to travel?

In your situation, regardless of what path you decide to take - lawsuit, refile, whatever - no person here would advise you to leave the United States. Jim Hacking says "no, no traveling" on your call.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Renato D said:

We were talking to a lawyer and she didn't recommend us to reapply for the I-751 until we receive a letter from the USCIS which might take a week. She said if they sent the case to the court our new application will be denied. It's all very confusing to us. Also if we reapply to the I-751 do I get a temporary extension for the permanent residency and is it safe to travel?

I have my son in Brazil and that's why this is important to me. I appreciate so much your help and time! No words!

One more question: my greencard is then not valid anymore? 

I agree with the other’s, the only option is to file a new I751, and I think it is best to file soon.  Perhaps @mindthegap will chime in again, but it appears you were denied for not attending the interview, so waiting for the denial letter seems like a waste of time.

Also, you are still an LPR, so if you have an expired CGC with a valid extension letter that is proof of your status.  If your extension letter is expired, you can get an ADIT stamp.  Only an IJ can take away your GC.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I just received I-751 notification decision and the main parts are below.
I did not received yet Notice to Appear (NTA). Should I apply for I751 immediatly?

"After reviewing the evidence and the testimony provided at the interview, USCIS records indicate that 
you are not eligible to have the conditions removed from your status for the following reasons: 

We asked that you and your petitioning sponsor appear for an interview on June 17, 2024. However, 
your petitioning sponsor did not appear for the interview. 

Under 8 CFR 216.4(b )(3 ), if a CPR or the petitioning sponsor ( if not deceased) does not appear for a 
required interview in connection with the joint Form I-751, we will terminate the the CPR's 
conditional resident status. "

Also:

"Decisions issued by USCIS in matters arising under INA 216 are final under 8 CFR 216, and thus are 
not subject to agency appeal. However, pursuant to INA 216, you may request review of this 
determination in removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge. You may submit additional 
evidence during review by the Immigration Judge.Matter of Herrera Del Orden._ 25 l&N Dec. 589 
(BIA 2011). 

If you become eligible and decide to file a waiver under INA 216(c)(4), the proceedings may be 
continued in order to give you a reasonable opportunity to file the Form 1-751 with USCIS. Matter of 
Mendeb 20 l&N Dec 833 (BIA 1994); Matter of Stowers, 22 I&N Dec. 605 (BIA 1999). This is 
because USCIS has original jurisdiction over all Form 1-751 petitions, regardless of whether the 
petition is jointly filed or a request for a waiver filing under INA§ 216(c)(4). Matter of Lemhammad, 
20 l&N Dec. 316 (BIA 1991). 

If you believe that the denial of your Form 1-751 is in error, you may seek limited motion to reopen 
rights by filing Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion. The grounds for a Motion to Reopen and 
Motion to Reconsider are explained in 8 CFR 103.5(a). You must file Form 1-2908 within 30 days of 
the date of this decision if the decision was served in person, or within 33 days if the decision was 
served by mailed. See 8 CFR 103.5(a) and 103.8(b). Please Note: You must follow the most current 
filing instructions for Form I-290B, which can be found at www.uscis.gov. "

I did not received yet Notice to Appear (NTA). Should I apply for I751 immediatly?

Thank you again for all help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.