Renato D

N336 or I751? Denied N400 and I751 terminated!!

61 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Briefly, I applied for ROC I-751 last year, and this year I applied for N-400 Naturalization. I went to the naturalization interview without knowing it would be for both cases (I did not receive confirmation of the interview date for ROC and could not reach any USCIS assistance by phone).

The reason my N-400 was denied was because my wife was not present and they could not remove my conditions. Simple as that. The immigration officer told me she should be there, even though she continued with both interviews with me, alone.

Yesterday, I just received a notification saying that N-400 was denied and my permanent residency status was terminated (which I presume was denied also, right?).

The notice suggests applying for an N-336 request for a hearing.

I don't know what the best option. Take the risk and time for N-336, reapply for I-751...
Or if there is any other better way to proceed
Please, any help is welcome.

image.thumb.png.d7d077d629255f12bddbc78e0a7b394c.png

Edited by Crazy Cat

1 hour ago, Renato D said:

Hi everyone!

Briefly, I applied for ROC I-751 last year, and this year I applied for N-400 Naturalization. I went to the naturalization interview without knowing it would be for both cases (I did not receive confirmation of the interview date for ROC and could not reach any USCIS assistance by phone).

The reason my N-400 was denied was because my wife was not present and they could not remove my conditions. Simple as that. The immigration officer told me she should be there, even though she continued with both interviews with me, alone.

Yesterday, I just received a notification saying that N-400 was denied and my permanent residency status was terminated (which I presume was denied also, right?).

The notice suggests applying for an N-336 request for a hearing.

I don't know what the best option. Take the risk and time for N-336, reapply for I-751...
Or if there is any other better way to proceed
Please, any help is welcome.

Are you still married?   Did you really not understand that your wife needed to be there?

You need an immigration lawyer at this point, it’s now beyond DIY.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@Renato D

Can you post a copy of the I-751 denial? That is the root of the issue.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

***Moderator Note****

***OP's attachment edited to remove a personal case number****

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

When you have a pending i-751, your spouse should ALWAYS attend the interview with you - even if you don't receive an interview letter for the i-751 but only for the N-400 (this is the most common scenario, most people only get a letter for the N-400 and nothing for the i-751, but they get interviewed for both at the same time). 

I too am curious to see the denial letter/reason for the i-751 - it seems a bit extreme to terminate your status just because your wife didn't attend, when they could have rescheduled your interview instead. While yes, they absolutely CAN do that, it still seems unusual.

Are you and your spouse no longer living together?
Did you give the IO enough evidence of your marriage?
Did it seem the IO suspected the marriage wasn't bonafide? 

Your N-400 is a non-issue here, the N-400 denial is solely based on your i-751 denial. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Scandi said:

it seems a bit extreme to terminate your status just because your wife didn't attend, when they could have rescheduled your interview instead. While yes, they absolutely CAN do that, it still seems unusual.

I agree 100%.  

23 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I too am curious to see the denial letter/reason for the i-751 - it seems a bit extreme to terminate your status just because your wife didn't attend, when they could have rescheduled your interview instead. While yes, they absolutely CAN do that, it still seems unusual.

+1

Might this be a possible downside of "skipping" completing the 751 process before a naturalization interview? At least the 10 year GC would be a fallback option if a mistake was made?

Edited by Sweetdreaming

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Can you post a copy of the I-751 denial? That is the root of the issue.

I did not receive I-751 denial specifically. Just on N400 denial, saying my conditional permanet residence was terminated.

59 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

***Moderator Note****

***OP's attachment edited to remove a personal case number****

Thanks!!

42 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Are you and your spouse no longer living together?
Did you give the IO enough evidence of your marriage?
Did it seem the IO suspected the marriage wasn't bonafide? 

Your N-400 is a non-issue here, the N-400 denial is solely based on your i-751 denial. 

We are living together since I got married, 2020. 
Full of evidences, pictures, bank account and credit card, DL with same address, etc...
She doesn't show any sign she was suspecting, at all.
Just my wife wasn't there. Our mistake she wasn't there but extreme resolution.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Renato D said:

I did not receive I-751 denial specifically.

You will get a separate denial for it.

Timeline

***A quote containing a personal case number has been edited to remove attachment***

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Renato D said:

Should I apply for ROC even without it?

Personally, I would wait to see what it says.  You should see it posted on your online account soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, Renato D said:

The reason my N-400 was denied was because my wife was not present and they could not remove my conditions. Simple as that

Seem like this reason is not valid. The main reason is I-751 has been denied. However, USCIS will never denied a petition without sending RFE first. So, I-751 was denied, buy for what reason? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.