hplusj

How does getting your senator to help, work exactly?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi everyone:

I'm trying to get my state senator's help with our case being stuck at NVC but I keep being told 'only expedites and only in life or death situations'. 

We just want some assistance in investigating reasons for the delay.  Has anyone talked to their state/district reps to get assistance other than an expedite, or even an expedite OTHER than a medical emergency?  How did you go about it?

Thank you so much for your advice.

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

6 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Hi everyone:

I'm trying to get my state senator's help with our case being stuck at NVC but I keep being told 'only expedites and only in life or death situations'. 

We just want some assistance in investigating reasons for the delay.  Has anyone talked to their state/district reps to get assistance other than an expedite, or even an expedite OTHER than a medical emergency?  How did you go about it?

Thank you so much for your advice.

US senators and reps have assistants who can make inquiries on behalf of their constituents, to federal agencies.   They usually have a link on their website, often with a permission form that you sign.

It isn’t a magic fix.   They often get the same info available to you, like “this case is in administrative processing due to background checks.”  Etc.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

US senators and reps have assistants who can make inquiries on behalf of their constituents, to federal agencies.   They usually have a link on their website, often with a permission form that you sign.

It isn’t a magic fix.   They often get the same info available to you, like “this case is in administrative processing due to background checks.”  Etc.

Yeah we've been speaking with the assistant to my senator, who is asking for documentation that proves we need the case expedited.

We just want an inquiry.  Do we try another rep?

Our K-1 Journey

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

Just now, hplusj said:

Yeah we've been speaking with the assistant to my senator, who is asking for documentation that proves we need the case expedited.

Why not just provide them with documentation?   If you have a valid reason to expedite, you should have no problem providing evidence.

Just now, SalishSea said:

Why not just provide them with documentation?   If you have a valid reason to expedite, you should have no problem providing evidence.

Is your case outside of normal processing time?

Timeline
Just now, SalishSea said:

We don't have a life or death situation... we have just been seated at NVC for four months with other K1s passing us, going to the same embassy.

If there's an issue with our case being passed up, we want to know or at least put some pressure on NVC to follow through.

Our K-1 Journey

2 minutes ago, hplusj said:

To be transparent.. I wrote letters to Homeland Security, the Department of State, and even the White House..(believe it or not.. it worked for me) (Thank you for writing to President Biden about your visa inquiry.  Your letter was forwarded to the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs for a reply.  We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.  Please open the attached document for our response to your visa inquiry.) 2 days later I had  my interview date

4 minutes ago, hplusj said:

We don't have a life or death situation... we have just been seated at NVC for four months with other K1s passing us, going to the same embassy.

If there's an issue with our case being passed up, we want to know or at least put some pressure on NVC to follow through.

NVC wait times are much longer than they were years back.   Maybe that’s the trade off for the current fast petition approval times?   

4 months hardly seems unusual or atypical.

Edited by SalishSea

Timeline
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

To be transparent.. I wrote letters to Homeland Security, the Department of State, and even the White House..(believe it or not.. it worked for me) (Thank you for writing to President Biden about your visa inquiry.  Your letter was forwarded to the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs for a reply.  We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.  Please open the attached document for our response to your visa inquiry.) 2 days later I had  my interview date

Great info, thank you.  If I could DM you, maybe I can get some links as to where you sent your letters.  Were they online forms or snail mail? 

I'll pop in your messages, thanks

1 minute ago, SalishSea said:

NVC wait times are much longer than they were years back.   Maybe that’s the trade off for the current fast petition approval times?   

Doesn't seem to be universally applied, even within the same embassy.

I'd be content if K1s going to the same embassy were being taken in order.  This is very strange.

Edited by hplusj

Our K-1 Journey

15 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Great info, thank you.  If I could DM you, maybe I can get some links as to where you sent your letters.  Were they online forms or snail mail? 

I'll pop in your messages, thanks

Doesn't seem to be universally applied, even within the same embassy.

I'd be content if K1s going to the same embassy were being taken in order.  This is very strange.

https://www.dhs.gov/    https://www.whitehouse.gov/    https://www.state.gov/ 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Just a note that your "State Senator" cannot be of assistance.  You want the assistance of a member of the US Senator FROM your State's staff.  US Senator, not State Senator.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Just a note that your "State Senator" cannot be of assistance.  You want the assistance of a member of the US Senator FROM your State's staff.  US Senator, not State Senator.

It was an honest mistake and a matter of semantics, and I would really appreciate you not picking apart my attempts to work on my case when this is a very painful experience for us.  What purpose does it serve?

I also didn't petition a minor league baseball team for assistance.  Should I clarify that as well, in case people think I'm speaking about a different kind of senator?

Our K-1 Journey

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Would it kill people to show a little kindness or did that pinned topic become null and void eight years ago

If you don't have anything productive to contribute, please leave us alone.

Just close the thread, mods, it's not even worth it anymore to ask a damn thing.

Edited by hplusj

Our K-1 Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.