Stevephoto

ACR-I and immigration to the Philippines questions

4 posts in this topic

Here we go! My turn again to ask more questions. They are numbered for ease of reference.

1. As I mentioned in a recent post, I have retired and have my 13A Visa in hand with a sealed envelope that I am to give to the immigration officer at NAIA. Is that the same person that we show our passports to or is there a separate office to find?

I know that I need to use my 13A Visa to get my yellow ACR-I card.

2. Can I go to the local Bureau of Immigration with my visa, photos, application and receipt of payment of the fees within a few days of arrival or is there something in that packet that I need to wait for?

3. Am I correct that the ACR card is valid for 5 years but I need to “check-in” every year?

We are installing as high speed internet as possible and will add VPN once we get there. I know that I asked the next three questions before, but that was a while ago. Please forgive the repeated questions!

4. A VPN would allow us to continue using US-based remittance websites, correct? (We are going to look into the great idea mentioned in a much earlier post about depositing a a US check into a US dollar account, but we want to keep access to the remittance services for emergencies and Remitly told me that they would cut us off after 6 months in the Philippines).

5. VPN also allows access to bank, credit card, SSA, etc. websites, right? Netflix is not crucial, but a nice bonus.

6. Does anyone have recommendations for a good VPN service?

The big question now is phone service. We need our phones to access our US accounts (two-factor authentication, etc. I know one big option is porting the numbers over to Google Voice, although to be honest, I haven’t quite figured out that process.

7. Is Google Voice the best overall option?

8. My current cellular plan gets cut off once the numbers port over to Google Voice. Is that correct?

9. The question I thought of was: what happens when you are away from wifi or when the internet goes down? Local SIM card or e-sim card? Any and all suggestions are welcome. I thought about keeping one off the phones connected to a US cellular carrier, but I heard that they will also cut you off after 6 months (even Google Fi), so that does not seem to be a great option.

Salamat! I may have more questions over the next few weeks because this is now very real!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

8 hours ago, Stevephoto said:

I thought about keeping one off the phones connected to a US cellular carrier, but I heard that they will also cut you off after 6 months (even Google Fi), so that does not seem to be a great option.

I sent my wife a T-Mobile phone on my plan while she was still living there. Free international roaming. It lasted about 1 year before I got the letter that they were terminating that line because free roaming is not the same as living somewhere and it had never left the Philippines. It was nice while it lasted :D

Ok, I will give it a shot.  I've been in PH for several years using a Balikbayan. 

Q1-2:  All I remember is that there are a few step in Manila.  They should have told you the steps.  Review the info on the consulates website.

Q3:    Yes, that is my understanding.  The visa doesn't expire, but the card does every five years.  There is an annual report every Jan-Feb.

Q4:  I use a VPN showing my location as being in the US (both phone and computer).  I use Xoom, and I have not had a problem in over two years.  I transfer USD to my wife's BPI USD account.  VPN set to a US server.

Q5:  Yes, I have had no issue with any of the websites you mentioned.  I have had no issues with SSA, IRS, banks, brokerages, and etc.  However, it is important that you maintain a US phone number for verifications.  Some sites you can use email or app notifications, but some do not.  See Q7.

Q6:  Pick one.  I would use it before you leave to make sure you understand, and you are happy with it.  My VPN service is ok.  Make sure you can install it on your phone and/or tablet as well.  With Netflix, you play a game at times.  Every once in a while they will detect the use of VPN, and you will have to change servers.  My wife watches the Good Doctor (not offered in the US) on Netflix, and we have had to change the servers from Portugal to Germany to Israel to Australia to now, New Zealand.  Watch a few episodes and the proxy service warning comes on.  You change servers, and the games resets.  Your experience will be different with each VPN service.

Q7:  I don't know if it is the best, but Google Voice works for me.  I have no issues with authentications.  It acts just like a US number with calls and texts to and from.

Q8:  Yes, it will cut off.  The number is cutoff from your provider (Verizon, TMoble, AT&T, etc.) Port the number to Google (and pay the fee) before you go to make sure it works.  The number will work again once ported, but only through wifi (Google Voice app) if your phone doesn't have a data plan.

Q9:  I have a PH local number and data plan through Smart.  It is $15 for 90 days or about $5 a month.  The local data allows me to use the Google number anywhere I have wifi as well as anywhere there is cell service.  The local data plan and number will make your life easier.

The only thing weird to happen to me with Google Voice is that every once in a while it wants to re-authenticate my phone number.  I found that logging into Google voice using my computer and VPN (Seattle), it goes away on my phone.

Secondly, if you travel back to the US or visit another country like Japan, you can use an eSim service like Airalo for data temporarily assuming your phone can do eSims.   That allows the phone data as well as letting Google Voice to work.

Not mentioned in your list of Qs, but you should have a US physical mailing address.  If you don't and you have a brokerage account, they (Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.)  may hunt you down and give you grief.  I know from experience.  

Hope there is some help somewhere in all that.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

46 minutes ago, Talako said:

Ok, I will give it a shot.  I've been in PH for several years using a Balikbayan. 

Q1-2:  All I remember is that there are a few step in Manila.  They should have told you the steps.  Review the info on the consulates website.

Q3:    Yes, that is my understanding.  The visa doesn't expire, but the card does every five years.  There is an annual report every Jan-Feb.

Q4:  I use a VPN showing my location as being in the US (both phone and computer).  I use Xoom, and I have not had a problem in over two years.  I transfer USD to my wife's BPI USD account.  VPN set to a US server.

Q5:  Yes, I have had no issue with any of the websites you mentioned.  I have had no issues with SSA, IRS, banks, brokerages, and etc.  However, it is important that you maintain a US phone number for verifications.  Some sites you can use email or app notifications, but some do not.  See Q7.

Q6:  Pick one.  I would use it before you leave to make sure you understand, and you are happy with it.  My VPN service is ok.  Make sure you can install it on your phone and/or tablet as well.  With Netflix, you play a game at times.  Every once in a while they will detect the use of VPN, and you will have to change servers.  My wife watches the Good Doctor (not offered in the US) on Netflix, and we have had to change the servers from Portugal to Germany to Israel to Australia to now, New Zealand.  Watch a few episodes and the proxy service warning comes on.  You change servers, and the games resets.  Your experience will be different with each VPN service.

Q7:  I don't know if it is the best, but Google Voice works for me.  I have no issues with authentications.  It acts just like a US number with calls and texts to and from.

Q8:  Yes, it will cut off.  The number is cutoff from your provider (Verizon, TMoble, AT&T, etc.) Port the number to Google (and pay the fee) before you go to make sure it works.  The number will work again once ported, but only through wifi (Google Voice app) if your phone doesn't have a data plan.

Q9:  I have a PH local number and data plan through Smart.  It is $15 for 90 days or about $5 a month.  The local data allows me to use the Google number anywhere I have wifi as well as anywhere there is cell service.  The local data plan and number will make your life easier.

The only thing weird to happen to me with Google Voice is that every once in a while it wants to re-authenticate my phone number.  I found that logging into Google voice using my computer and VPN (Seattle), it goes away on my phone.

Secondly, if you travel back to the US or visit another country like Japan, you can use an eSim service like Airalo for data temporarily assuming your phone can do eSims.   That allows the phone data as well as letting Google Voice to work.

Not mentioned in your list of Qs, but you should have a US physical mailing address.  If you don't and you have a brokerage account, they (Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.)  may hunt you down and give you grief.  I know from experience.  

Hope there is some help somewhere in all that.

Great answers. Salamat. I will look at them very closely. Yes, I did not mention that we will maintain an address in the US for the very reasons you stated. We appreciate your input.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.