permanentresident

where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status.

27 posts in this topic

You mean this is an error and if I am able to acquire the information you listed it could be changed even though his card been expired for 5yrs now ? Do I need a lawyer ? Cos I can’t afford one and if I could do this by myself I will love to . I have a USCIS online account that I just applied for a new green card for myself can I use that same account to fix this situation for My son ?

On 6/22/2024 at 6:33 PM, Lil bear said:

Mmm. Not making sense. If you have a 10 yr card so should he.. 

V long time for the divorce to be finalised ! 

What visa did the son have ? How old is he ? Was your wife a USC when she petitioned you ? 

My son came with an immigrant visa just as me accept on his green card says CR2. He entered same days as me with my ex together cos she was in my country when I got granted the visa to come

On 6/22/2024 at 7:07 PM, Family said:

If your son entered with you , they made an error on his category. You can do an I-90 with no fee for him for error. Just send in a copy of both  his and your  passport page stamped at entry , copy of your marriage certificate…and write a short explanation.

You mean this is an error and if I am able to acquire the information you listed it could be changed even though his card been expired for 5yrs now ? Do I need a lawyer ? Cos I can’t afford one and if I could do this by myself I will love to . I have a USCIS online account that I just applied for a new green card for myself can I use that same account to fix this situation for My son ?

13 minutes ago, permanentresident said:

Yes, you can do this on your own…and help your son. I definitely say teach the boy to fish …rather than spoon feed him. 
‘He needs a USCIS account on his own …and needs to understand his steps. 
‘For example, once he files the free I-90 to correct error ( delay is ok , just say he did not know) …he should immediately apply for N-400 US citizenship, if he can learn civics test.

Even you, no matter the separation, can go for N-400….What is holding you back ?
Edited by Family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, permanentresident said:

Yes it is a USCIS error. Do you have copies of both his and your GC? You can apply for a new GC for him based on documentation that demonstrated the described information.   There are probono immigration legal services available and it might be easier on you if you can access this service in your area. 

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes it is a USCIS error. Do you have copies of both his and your GC? You can apply for a new GC for him based on documentation that demonstrated the described information.   There are probono immigration legal services available and it might be easier on you if you can access this service in your area. 

I have his green card but i filed for I-90 for mine waiting to get it. I have both of our pasports with the expired immigrant visa that brought us here in them.? please whats a probono immigration legal service sorry i am new to all this . Thank you

11 minutes ago, Family said:
Yes, you can do this on your own…and help your son. I definitely say teach the boy to fish …rather than spoon feed him. 
‘He needs a USCIS account on his own …and needs to understand his steps. 
‘For example, once he files the free I-90 to correct error ( delay is ok , just say he did not know) …he should immediately apply for N-400 US citizenship, if he can learn civics test.

Even you, no matter the separation, can go for N-400….What is holding you back ?

I am not sure whats stopping me , maybe cos my green card got missing and the separation between me and my wife and also i am just getting into all this myself just a couple of weeks ago when i found out about my son's green card situation. I take ur advice on teaching him how to fish cos myself i was fed fish when it came to all this immigration stuff and now that the fisherman is not around i am having a hard time fishing myself 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, permanentresident said:

I have his green card but i filed for I-90 for mine waiting to get it. I have both of our pasports with the expired immigrant visa that brought us here in them.? please whats a probono immigration legal service sorry i am new to all this . Thank you

Probono.  Free. 

usually community legal services that help people who cant afford lawyers. 

google “ community legal services” in your area.. ask.. if they cant help, ask them if they know of anywhere you can go to get this help. May take you 2-3 calls but you will get there !!  

yes the passport with visa in it will be useful. Also your marriage certificate   It will show that you both entered the US on your immigrant visa after your second wedding anniversary  

5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Probono.  Free. 

usually community legal services that help people who cant afford lawyers. 

google “ community legal services” in your area.. ask.. if they cant help, ask them if they know of anywhere you can go to get this help. May take you 2-3 calls but you will get there !!  

yes the passport with visa in it will be useful. Also your marriage certificate   It will show that you both entered the US on your immigrant visa after your second wedding anniversary  

Thank you soo much. I will  do some leg work i will come back to update, 

On 6/22/2024 at 6:33 PM, Lil bear said:

Mmm. Not making sense. If you have a 10 yr card so should he.. 

If he was under 14 when he got his GC, then he needed to file I-90 within 30 days of his 14th birthday to get a new card. I think that's what the OP is referring to. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.