AdventureDisdain_

K-1 leaves K-2 behind in the USA with USC parent

21 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, AdventureDisdain_ said:

Hello I am not sure if anyone remembers this thread but here is the first update (7/26/2024):

We tried to file for FOIA but found out it could/would cost like $25 and we weren't sure if my bioparent had to pay or if we had to pay. I don't know what the hell happened but we didn't get any information. I'm not even sure if my bioparent consented to having the information given to us, really pisses me off and I don't think they're reliable. I have no clue if the I-130 was filed now. I'm panicking

My stepparent sent in the I-485 a week or two ago. The I-485 was the only document sent, with supporting files like the I-797, my high school transcripts, new passport photos, my bioparent's old passport, my old passport, etc. I've heard you need to send in an I-864 too but stepparent did not do that. I have a feeling we're going to get denied... and my stepparent wants my bioparent and biosibling to live in the US with us. Stepparent keeps carrying too much on their shoulders and honestly I wish they'd just ask for help.

This last part is going to be a bit of a rant since I have nowhere else to talk about this... but I'm dreading everything right now. I feel like my only option is to get married to my partner but that's going to take a really long time since we both need to finish school, and as much as I hope we work out, sometimes things don't go the way we want it to. There's so many things out of my control and I have no idea what the future holds and where I'll end up. I'm trying to stay positive but it's in the back of my mind and I feel like I don't have much time. Everything is in the hands of other people, and I feel like I can't rely on them. I want to do something but at the same time I don't know what I can do except pray and hope

Ok, so I realize you are 18 and feeling frustrated…but the process and application (I-485 ) is actually YOURS….to do correctly and follow through. This even though your stepdad is paying the filling fee. 

So here are helpful tips:

1. There will not be any fee for the FOIA…that’s a generic disclosure. You can do one for yourself and step dad does one for himself, separately. …but since you’re the internet savvy one, do it for him . Attorneys charge Big $$ even for FOIAS…so keep trying till you get it right. 

2. There are sample adjustment packets on this forum that walk you through everything from what forms to what supporting evidence one needs to send. Read them, ask questions here.

3. Yes an I-864 was  required for the I-485 …do I understand it just 2x485 just filed ( you and a brother ?) 

Get the copies of the I-485 forms prepared , look them over and compare to the samples on VJ . 
‘If the packets are Rejected , you will have a chance to correct any errors, add the I-864 and even convince stepdad to file an I-130  when you refile.

It’s either you do a grow-up crash course in DIY or ask your partner to lend you $ to hire an immigration lawyer to help. You can adjust through stepdad , as long as you do it before 21…no need for shotgun wedding 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, AdventureDisdain_ said:

I have nowhere else to talk about this... but I'm dreading everything right now.

Whatever you're feeling is OK -- they're your feelings, and they're valid.  :thumbs: 

I feel like my only option is to get married to my partner

Kind response in the strongest possible terms:  Do not (do NOT!) rush into a marriage for this purpose.  "Marry in haste, repent in leisure."  You have other options.

Stepparent keeps carrying too much on their shoulders and honestly I wish they'd just ask for help.

Take stepparent with you to an immigration lawyer (initial consultations are cheap or free) to clarify things in your minds.  Both of you will feel much better after this.

Edited to add:  Family knows what she's talking about, so do that.  Keep us closely apprised of what you learn and what happens -- we care.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Update as of 9/9/2024:

I think things are starting to look better. My anxiety caused me to think the worst. I am doing more than well - I've entered college and my relationship with my partner is very good. When it came to marrying them, I didn't mean what I said. I don't think I'd ever marry them for a green card, I would take my time and marry them out of love because they deserve good things. Even if it meant I couldn't become a citizen.

Anyways, a few weeks ago, my stepparent and I went to the USCIS center to get biometrics done. It was scheduled for 2 pm but we got there at 1 pm. I am a military dependent so I have a military ID too. I didn't know this, but because of the military ID I was given priority and allowed to finish my biometrics early. It took 5 minutes. I thought it was funny, but it gave me hope

Today I got an email from the USCIS about a case update. They're asking for more evidence. I was worried we'd need an I-130, but it turns out we only need an I-864 and I-693. Both are free and we need them done by December 5, 2024. I'm really excited now since I think I'll be able to get my green card in the next year. I can't wait to be able to make money and help out my stepparent, and I'll be able to pay off whatever college expenses I need, too. I do want to express that I feel really guilty for not believing in my stepparent since there were so many questions they couldn't answer and I didn't like how they just told me to wait it out because I assumed the worst was going to happen. But I'm forever thankful for them

I do need to ask: before I go and research it, how do we get the I-693 finished? Thank you everyone

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just wanted to express my appreciation to our members "Family", "TBone" and "OldUser" and everyone else I missed for providing insights. I so appreciate this forum and those of you who bring support and encouragement to the frontline of immigration anxiety.

Edited by R&OC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/9/2024 at 9:28 PM, AdventureDisdain_ said:

Update as of 9/9/2024:

I think things are starting to look better. My anxiety caused me to think the worst. I am doing more than well - I've entered college and my relationship with my partner is very good. When it came to marrying them, I didn't mean what I said. I don't think I'd ever marry them for a green card, I would take my time and marry them out of love because they deserve good things. Even if it meant I couldn't become a citizen.

Anyways, a few weeks ago, my stepparent and I went to the USCIS center to get biometrics done. It was scheduled for 2 pm but we got there at 1 pm. I am a military dependent so I have a military ID too. I didn't know this, but because of the military ID I was given priority and allowed to finish my biometrics early. It took 5 minutes. I thought it was funny, but it gave me hope

Today I got an email from the USCIS about a case update. They're asking for more evidence. I was worried we'd need an I-130, but it turns out we only need an I-864 and I-693. Both are free and we need them done by December 5, 2024. I'm really excited now since I think I'll be able to get my green card in the next year. I can't wait to be able to make money and help out my stepparent, and I'll be able to pay off whatever college expenses I need, too. I do want to express that I feel really guilty for not believing in my stepparent since there were so many questions they couldn't answer and I didn't like how they just told me to wait it out because I assumed the worst was going to happen. But I'm forever thankful for them

I do need to ask: before I go and research it, how do we get the I-693 finished? Thank you everyone

That is good to hear that things are progressing.  The I693 RFE was to be expected given the amount of time that elapsed since your US entry with your K2, but the I864 should have been sent in with the i485 package.  Regardless, I agree with @OldUser, find a civil surgeon to do your medical exam, there will be a fee for the Dr. appointment, and make sure you fill out the I864 properly (we are here to help with any questions) so you can respond to the RFE within the time limit.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.