12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 6/20/2024 at 10:07 PM, nautilus808 said:

we recieved our NOA2 on April 29th. After waiting 50 days foor ma NVC case number , our petion was approved again on june 18. Now our timeline on USCIS has erased the April 29th approval date and replaced t with june 18.

Does anyone know why this happens or the meaning behind it?

Hi there.

I had never seen this happen before to anyone else on the forums either.  We received our first NOA2 the beginning of March, and then about mid-May, we got a new one with a new four month window but the same USCIS receipt number.  Our case number at NVC seems to remain valid as I've messaged them several times since receiving the NOA2, and they always confirm our case number as being unchanged.  About a week after we got the second NOA2, we also got an email about delays in processing our case and that there would be no action required to extend the window: to which I thought, clearly, you sent us a new notice which showed that.

Even still, it's bewildering as to why, and no answer has been concrete, simply because the NVC stage is terribly opaque.  There are theories, such as USCIS making an error such as sending an incomplete case, which upon the resend generated a new NOA2.  I do suspect that whatever happened though, put us at the back of the queue.  Others who have gotten NOA2s after us for K1 and same embassy, have been sent from the NVC already.  The usual 4 weeks or so.  In our case, it's been fifteen weeks since the first NOA2 was issued, so...

Whatever happened, I hope they sorted it.  Continual NVC inquiries never produce any requests for my fiance or I to take action.  If there was an issue with the case, it appears only to be on their end. 

I do hope that your NVC stayover is shorter than ours.  But that's our account, at the very least.

Our Visa Journey

7 Aug 23: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 23: NOA1 arrives approx. 1 week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 24: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 24: NVC received case

1 Apr 24: NVC inquiry, and provided case #.

8 May 24: NOA2 (v2) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 24: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Email to White House end of June 2024.

2 Jul 24: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 24: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 24: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 24: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 24: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 24: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 24: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 24: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 24: K1 visa in hand!

13 Sep 24: POE, Detroit (DTW)

17 Sep 24: Applied for SSN successfully

10 hours ago, hplusj said:

Hi there.

I had never seen this happen before to anyone else on the forums either.  We received our first NOA2 the beginning of March, and then about mid-May, we got a new one with a new four month window but the same USCIS receipt number.  Our case number at NVC seems to remain valid as I've messaged them several times since receiving the NOA2, and they always confirm our case number as being unchanged.  About a week after we got the second NOA2, we also got an email about delays in processing our case and that there would be no action required to extend the window: to which I thought, clearly, you sent us a new notice which showed that.

Even still, it's bewildering as to why, and no answer has been concrete, simply because the NVC stage is terribly opaque.  There are theories, such as USCIS making an error such as sending an incomplete case, which upon the resend generated a new NOA2.  I do suspect that whatever happened though, put us at the back of the queue.  Others who have gotten NOA2s after us for K1 and same embassy, have been sent from the NVC already.  The usual 4 weeks or so.  In our case, it's been fifteen weeks since the first NOA2 was issued, so...

Whatever happened, I hope they sorted it.  Continual NVC inquiries never produce any requests for my fiance or I to take action.  If there was an issue with the case, it appears only to be on their end. 

I do hope that your NVC stayover is shorter than ours.  But that's our account, at the very least.

Thanks for explaining your experience in more detail. I called USCIS and was able to speak to a human. The person I spoke with could see 2 approvals and said it was a system error and that it is likely that the first NOA2 is the valid one. They also said that they have never seen 2 approval dates. I asked for an expedite and he said there is nothing to expedite your case has been approved or atleast we think it has based on receiving 2 NOA2. Tier 1 help really doesnt know anything.

Our case has not even been sent to NVC according to public inquiries with NVC, I get the 60 day robot email. 

Have you tried emailing nvcresearch@state.gov ? 

I was told to email them after 60 days of my case not being sent to NVC. The instructions were to to put only the case number in the subject, and petioners and beneficiaries name and date of birth in the body of the email and a copy of our NOA2. I have 7 more days to wait to do this.

Our cases are held up at differnt stages in the process but perhaps its worth a try for you to email NVCresearch. 

I know how you feel watching cases fly by your procesing time. It took us 17 months to get a NOA2 but we did have an RFE. Recently, I have seen cases go from NOA1 to sent to Embassy in 6 months. With that said I believe some case end up with incompetent employees that are slow. Or employees that have more important tasks to do. The reasons are endless.

Timeline
On 6/22/2024 at 11:49 AM, nautilus808 said:

Thanks for explaining your experience in more detail. I called USCIS and was able to speak to a human. The person I spoke with could see 2 approvals and said it was a system error and that it is likely that the first NOA2 is the valid one. They also said that they have never seen 2 approval dates. I asked for an expedite and he said there is nothing to expedite your case has been approved or atleast we think it has based on receiving 2 NOA2. Tier 1 help really doesnt know anything.

Our case has not even been sent to NVC according to public inquiries with NVC, I get the 60 day robot email. 

Have you tried emailing nvcresearch@state.gov ? 

I was told to email them after 60 days of my case not being sent to NVC. The instructions were to to put only the case number in the subject, and petioners and beneficiaries name and date of birth in the body of the email and a copy of our NOA2. I have 7 more days to wait to do this.

Our cases are held up at differnt stages in the process but perhaps its worth a try for you to email NVCresearch. 

I know how you feel watching cases fly by your procesing time. It took us 17 months to get a NOA2 but we did have an RFE. Recently, I have seen cases go from NOA1 to sent to Embassy in 6 months. With that said I believe some case end up with incompetent employees that are slow. Or employees that have more important tasks to do. The reasons are endless.

I did not even know of the existence of NVCresearch, so I will definitely be looking into this.

I very much appreciate you sharing, and hope in just a few more days, you'll be able to prod them too and get some answers.  All the best.

Our Visa Journey

1 Mar 24: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 May 24: NOA2 (v2) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 24: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Email to White House end of June 2024.

2 Jul 24: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

8 Aug 24: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 24: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 24: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

4 hours ago, hplusj said:

I did not even know of the existence of NVCresearch, so I will definitely be looking into this.

I very much appreciate you sharing, and hope in just a few more days, you'll be able to prod them too and get some answers.  All the best.

When you received a second NOA2, did you also get a paper letter in the mail?

Timeline
1 hour ago, nautilus808 said:

When you received a second NOA2, did you also get a paper letter in the mail?

Well I got the NOA2, that's what I received.  The dates were adjusted to a new four month window, beginning in May instead of March.

Additionally, about a week later I got this email:

To whom it concerns:

This notice is to inform you that NVC is currently holding your approved Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiance(e)), and it has been at least 60 days since we received it from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Your case number is JHNxxxxxxxxxx.

Where local conditions and restrictions allow, some embassies and consulates have resumed processing a limited visa workload, including K-1 nonimmigrant visa applications. For embassies and consulates that were unable to resume processing their visa workload, NVC is holding your approved Form I-129F. We cannot predict when routine visa services will resume, and we cannot guarantee or predict when your case will be sent to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General in Johannesburg. When NVC does forward your case, you will receive another notification.

Approved Forms I-129F have a 120-day expiration date from the date of approval by USCIS. Once your designated embassy or consulate resumes normal operations, a consular officer will revalidate your petition for another 120 days. You do not need to take any action for this revalidation to happen, though you may need to provide evidence that you still qualify for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. For the most up-to-date information about the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General's operating status, visit their website at https://usembassy.gov.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
National Visa Center Director

Totally confusing, as it seems to imply services were paused and scheduled to resume at my embassy: yet, I've seen regular shipments to Johannesburg before and immediately after receiving this letter.  Just not our case.

I appreciate you again for tipping me off to NVC research.  I wrote a succinct yet formal request to have our case reviewed for any delays, and for them to send out K1-FTP if nothing is located.  Hoping that makes a dent.

Our Visa Journey

22 hours ago, hplusj said:

Well I got the NOA2, that's what I received.  The dates were adjusted to a new four month window, beginning in May instead of March.

To whom it concerns:

This notice is to inform you that NVC is currently holding your approved Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiance(e)), and it has been at least 60 days since we received it from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Your case number is JHNxxxxxxxxxx.

Where local conditions and restrictions allow, some embassies and consulates have resumed processing a limited visa workload, including K-1 nonimmigrant visa applications. For embassies and consulates that were unable to resume processing their visa workload, NVC is holding your approved Form I-129F. We cannot predict when routine visa services will resume, and we cannot guarantee or predict when your case will be sent to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General in Johannesburg. When NVC does forward your case, you will receive another notification.

Approved Forms I-129F have a 120-day expiration date from the date of approval by USCIS. Once your designated embassy or consulate resumes normal operations, a consular officer will revalidate your petition for another 120 days. You do not need to take any action for this revalidation to happen, though you may need to provide evidence that you still qualify for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. For the most up-to-date information about the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General's operating status, visit their website at https://usembassy.gov.

Sincerely,

Totally confusing, as it seems to imply services were paused and scheduled to resume at my embassy: yet, I've seen regular shipments to Johannesburg before and immediately after receiving this letter.  Just not our case.

I appreciate you again for tipping me off to NVC research.  I wrote a succinct yet formal request to have our case reviewed for any delays, and for them to send out K1-FTP if nothing is located.  Hoping that makes a dent.

Thanks, I hope NVC research helps you move along!

22 hours ago, hplusj said:

To whom it concerns:

Sincerely,

The letter they sent you Looks like a copy paste from covid days

Timeline
41 minutes ago, nautilus808 said:

The letter they sent you Looks like a copy paste from covid days

It totally does, and it certainly makes me question what kind of hierarchal team structure they have over there.  Like, there is no way the NVC director actually sent this.  And, as we all know who've sent inquiries via the site, all replies are a template issued by contractors who handle the workload.  Nothing is actually addressed with consideration to the specifics of any case.

I am hoping NVCResearch proves different.

Our Visa Journey

Timeline
13 hours ago, hplusj said:

I am hoping NVCResearch proves different.

Nope, it did not.

To Whom it Concerns:

In order to make sure your private information remains protected, please resubmit your inquiry and any attachments using the AskNVC form only. You can find it at https://nvc.state.gov/inquiry.

You must provide privacy information to receive case specific information. Please limit your inquiry to one case per submission.

If you already submitted this inquiry on the AskNVC form or your issue has been resolved, please disregard these instructions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ellen | Inquiry Management

Department of State CA/VO/DO/NVC

LDRM | DTSV | Contractor

---

Another contractor.  Probably didn't even read it.

I have escalated this situation to the office of my senator.  Fingers crossed.

Our Visa Journey

8 hours ago, hplusj said:

Nope, it did not.

To Whom it Concerns:

In order to make sure your private information remains protected, please resubmit your inquiry and any attachments using the AskNVC form only. You can find it at https://nvc.state.gov/inquiry.

You must provide privacy information to receive case specific information. Please limit your inquiry to one case per submission.

If you already submitted this inquiry on the AskNVC form or your issue has been resolved, please disregard these instructions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Department of State CA/VO/DO/NVC

LDRM | DTSV | Contractor

---

Another contractor.  Probably didn't even read it.

I have escalated this situation to the office of my senator.  Fingers crossed.

This is what i recieved, at end of june will be 60 days. I have been working with my congressmen for about 9 months now, they are useless, they assigned me someone who has no clue about visas. This person has a liason at uscis but they never provided anything usefull.  I hope you get better results with your senators office..

To Whom it Concerns:

Thank you for your inquiry. The National Visa Center (NVC) has not yet received your petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Although the Form I-797 approval notice mentions a delay of up to 30 days for cases to be delivered to NVC from USCIS, current shipping times may be longer. If you have not received a communication from NVC about this case within 60 days from the I-797 approval notice, please contact us again.

Once NVC receives this petition from USCIS and enters it into our system, all case parties will receive a notice that they can begin processing if a visa number is immediately available.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.