TVC

Is there anyway to become a citizen without the test?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

English Text Exemption for Naturalization
There are certain exemptions to the English language requirement for naturalization in the United States. These exemptions are based on age, physical or developmental disabilities, or medical conditions that prevent an individual from learning or demonstrating English proficiency.

Age Exemption: If you are 50 years old or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years, if you are 55 years old or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 15 years, or if you are 65 years old or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years, you may be exempt from the English language requirement for naturalization.
Disability Exemption: If you have a physical or developmental disability or mental impairment that prevents you from learning or demonstrating English proficiency, you may be eligible for an exemption from the English language requirement. You must submit evidence of your disability, completed by a licensed medical professional, along with your naturalization application.
Medical Exemption: If you have a medical condition that makes it impossible for you to learn or demonstrate English proficiency, you may be eligible for an exemption from the English language requirement. You must submit evidence of your medical condition along with your naturalization application.
If you qualify for an exemption to the English language requirement, you must still pass the civics test. It is important to note that exemptions to the English language requirement are granted on a case-by-case basis, and you must provide appropriate documentation to support your request.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, TVC said:

But she is very nervous about taking it

Almost everyone says the N-400 process is easiest of all the parts of immigration.  That was the case with us.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, TVC said:

My wife has been in the USA for 3 years on a green card. She is now eligible to take the citizenship test. But she is very nervous about taking it. Is there any other route to citizenship without the test?

Not unless she has issue with cognitive functions of brain or old enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nerves aren't enough to get you out of it, but it's nothing to be nervous about!

I strongly recommend purchasing "flash cards" online for the 100 questions. This will make those questions a breeze. Or, just study the official test: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

As far as the reading/writing comprehension it's also very easy 1st grade stuff. Eg:

"Please read: What was the first state?" 

"Please write: "The first state was Delaware". (This answer would be provided by the way, you are just asked to write whatever they say).

If your wife has been living and existing in the US for 3 years, it should be an easy win. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's literally the easiest part of the entire immigration journey. But she doesn't have to become a citizen, there's no citizenship requirement. She can keep being a greencard holder.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
4 hours ago, Peot said:

I strongly recommend purchasing "flash cards" online for the 100 questions. This will make those questions a breeze. Or, just study the official test: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

You can just create it for yourself for free. I used Quizlet which has web + mobile app. When you sign up there is a free option you can choose.

Create Flash card, fill out the question + answer and look up the ones related to your state. Start practicing.

I think it is important to note that since this is more you can read the question I think it is important to read it out loud and then answer since at the interview you are going to be asked the question and not reading it. It helps to learn it by reading the question out lout. By the time at the interview when the officer started to read the question it automatically just popped into my mind since I learned it by reading both question and answer out loud.

At the writing test you can always say you made a mistake and want to correct it. The digital pen didn't register the S what I was trying to write and it looked like a c. I told the officer that I want to correct the word, they told me to cross it out and write it again. So as long as you correct your mistake before submission you are good to go.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife was nervous as well considering English is not her first language, as well as learning the civics portion.  We got the test book, and reviewed it constantly for about two months prior to her interview, and she was fine

Also, review this post of one of our most senior member's experience with helping his wife with the civic questions.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Almost everyone says the N-400 process is easiest of all the parts of immigration.  That was the case with us.

Totally agree with you there, the N400 part was the easiest & fastest  for my husband.

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     N-400 Interview   APPROVED  

June 5th, 2024:   OATH DAY:       

June 5th 2024:  My husband became a US Citizen ♥♥   1, 474 New US Citizens sworn in- Houston, Tx. 

The End of a Very long journey! 

looney tunes i might have miss a th in there GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 hours ago, TVC said:

My wife has been in the USA for 3 years on a green card. She is now eligible to take the citizenship test. But she is very nervous about taking it. Is there any other route to citizenship without the test?

You Tube has excellent videos on the N400 interview & the questions.  Its how my husband learned and passed his interview.

He studied for about 6 weeks.

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     N-400 Interview   APPROVED  

June 5th, 2024:   OATH DAY:       

June 5th 2024:  My husband became a US Citizen ♥♥   1, 474 New US Citizens sworn in- Houston, Tx. 

The End of a Very long journey! 

looney tunes i might have miss a th in there GIF

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Many community centers are offering coaching for the interview.  In my city, some volunteer lawyers and retired USCIS agents do mock interviews. 

Please tell your spouse that there's help for her out there!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.