Nathan Alden, Sr.

Report of Marriage: A few questions and assumptions

57 posts in this topic

The checklist does not match the details. For example, the checklist says "One (1) Application Form originally signed and notarized and three (3) photocopies of the notarized Application Form" but the details say "Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Marriage (ROM) forms." I guess I'll go with the stricter requirements.

Ain't government grand? 🤣

Posted (edited)

There are so many discrepancies between the two lists that I decided to email a question to the Consulate General. We'll see how they respond. It's likely others will notice these discrepancies so I'll report back here once I learn something.

image.png.bf2e8e4630c3f5719101771624c87f1f.png

image.thumb.png.3810f23e65d34578e23cd54038948930.png

Edited by Nathan Alden, Sr.

I think I followed the site.  Essentially, I made 4 sets.  1st set contains the original form/docs (like affidavits) that that will be left to them - like the ROM itself.  1st set is notarized originally - the rest of the sets are copies.  (this is also noted on site - #2 last bullet). I separated all the originals (MC,BC,DD), that will be returned to me (bind clip).

6 hours ago, hunny&me said:

Just addition.... Then months later, we ordered Marriage Certificate in Philippines (PSA).  For the I-130 processing - CFO process - we do not have the filed ROM copy yet  - it was still in process from SF to DFA to PSA.  All we have is an email from DFA that it transmitted to Philippines.  They accepted that to give my husband the CFO certificate.

YES! DO THIS ^^^ We filed our report of marriage as soon as we were married in 2013 but recently learned that we needed the PSA marriage certificate for me to apply for my 13A Spousal Visa for us to move back to the Philippines!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

8 hours ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

Another question about my birth certificate: Apparently, I can order an apostille version. Is this what the consulate expects, or should I just get a regular certified copy?

YOUR birth certificate? I have always used a certified copy (I am 62 years old so I had NO idea where my "original" was). The only thing we ever got apostillized (sp?) was a power of attorney to buy land in the Philippines. Everything else was certified copies...including notarized documents for my recent 13A Visa. YMMV!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

For anyone interested: The San Francisco consulate actually called me back just a few hours after I submitted my question! I had trouble understanding the woman, but it turns out that the checklist PDF is authoritative. The information on the main page should only be used to supplement the PDF. I made them aware there were several discrepancies; whether they correct them is up to them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stevephoto said:

YOUR birth certificate? I have always used a certified copy (I am 62 years old so I had NO idea where my "original" was). The only thing we ever got apostillized (sp?) was a power of attorney to buy land in the Philippines. Everything else was certified copies...including notarized documents for my recent 13A Visa. YMMV!

I shouldn't have used the term "apostilled version" as that is not accurate, but, in essence, yes. According to the most recent checklist:

image.thumb.png.be7a2c09aed790cc1ce22a054cf17d3b.png

The new checklist has significantly relaxed requirements compared to the incorrect version on the main page. Both versions differ significantly from what the DFA claims they want if one were in Manila filing directly. It's super confusing.

Whenever I see the term "original" in relation to a vital record like a birth certificate, I always substitute it in my mind with "certified copy." They seem to be used interchangeably depending on who wrote the language in these things.

1 hour ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

I hope when my bride goes to get her signature on the Report of Marriage form notarized, the notary won't complain about me not being there to sign my name. If we have to both be physically present for notarization of any of these documents, that will really suck.

Her notarized signature is not necessary. We just went through this process. I wouldn't have her bother with Philippine local bureaucracy. Your concern about not being there is justified depending on the local notary.

They have a fillable form on their website, All I had to do was fill out the ROM form, print and have it notarized and sent in supplemental information. More in this thread: 

Only apostilled document you need is the marriage cert from utah.

Edited by Theersink

Posted (edited)

@Theersink I used the fillable form already. The instructions that the San Francisco consulate told me today over the phone are authoritative clearly say the form must be notarized. My question was the exact logistics of notarization due to two signatures and two geographic locations.

image.thumb.png.2fc535f171a8d438201659617dce852f.png

@Nathan Alden, Sr. That other thread I referenced I have a screenshot of an email I received from the consulate where they say only 1 signatory is required. I submitted mine with just my notarized signature and they accepted it. I received the receipt and packet back about a month later with a note saying it is now processing. You do not need BOTH notarized signatures, only one or the other is sufficient. This eliminates having to worry about sending it back and forth to the Philippines to get your wife's notarized signature. Just have it notarized with your signature and send in the rest of the required forms. It'll save you some time.

image.thumb.png.3df7ad8f79205c3e87af36c88e03d309.png

Edited by Theersink

13 minutes ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

@Theersink Thanks for the details; this really helps!

Do you recommend her signing the original there in the Philippines, then sending it to me along with the other evidence she has to send me? Then I just add my signature and send everything in?

@Nathan Alden, Sr. As I stated, it is not required. They only need 1 signature, both is fine but only 1 is needed. Honestly it is up to you but as you say she may run into an issue with a notary there as when it comes to government forms they can be a bit restrictive. Not to mention the time and cost of a courier for everything from the Philippines. My wife never touched the ROM form or anything else. I had copies of everything needed for the 130 filing so I filled out the ROM and sent off the packet. 

Also you will have plenty of time for everything. I was in your overwhelmed place a short bit ago. Not everything has to be done at once, Give yourself a chance to breathe and contemplate everything and it won't seem so overwhelming.

Edited by Theersink

@Nathan Alden, Sr. Keep in mind as well that this is a SF Consulate specific form from the US specifically for foreign marriages. A local Philippine notary may not be familiar with it. If I recall the local Philippine ROM form REQUIRES both parties present and they likely will not know that this is a different form from the local one. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.