Nathan Alden, Sr.

Report of Marriage: A few questions and assumptions

57 posts in this topic

I think I have a decent grasp on the Report of Marriage process at this point. However, I do have a few questions:

Logistics

I am proceeding assuming that my bride should fill out the completed forms in the Philippines, get her signature notarized there, then mail me the completed forms along with a certified copy of her birth certificate from the PSA, the five physical passport photos, and the CENOMAR. I then add my signature with notarization and send the completed packet to the consulate in San Francisco, which has jurisdiction over Utah County marriages.

Notarization

Will the Philippine government accept a form notarized twice, once by a foreign entity?

Marriage License

The instructions at the link above say "Marriage Contract / Certificate (original copy should be submitted to the DFA)." I am assuming they want an apostille version of the marriage license (in my case, a Utah County marriage license). Do I have to do anything to the apostille copy or do I just send it as-is?

Birth Certificate

I only have one copy of my birth certificate in my possession and I'd rather not go long periods of time without it. It looks like the Philippine government wants an "original copy," so I'll probably have to order a copy.

Passports

Will they accept photocopied print-outs of each page of my passport?

Additional Documents

The link above says "For applicants in the USA and Canada – kindly submit documents specified in a & b together with any of the following." However, I have neither a green card, nor a copy of a visa, nor a job contract or working permit. I'm assuming these are not needed in my case because I'm a US citizen rather than a Filipino living in the US.

Edited by Nathan Alden, Sr.

Hello. @Nathan Alden, Sr., we filed ROM last 2022.  sharing with you our cover letter to SF, that may answer some of your questions.  I removed our names, the one in green may not apply to you.  Cover letter is POV of Filipino spouse.  Our ROM is notarized both in Philippines for Filipino spouse side, and in Texas, American spouse side.  None of our documents are apostilled.

image.thumb.png.eddfa3b0214fe19d35e48b7231a93b0e.png 

image.png.174d253100ebfb31a16322078bec0e32.png

Just addition.... Then months later, we ordered Marriage Certificate in Philippines (PSA).  For the I-130 processing - CFO process - we do not have the filed ROM copy yet  - it was still in process from SF to DFA to PSA.  All we have is an email from DFA that it transmitted to Philippines.  They accepted that to give my husband the CFO certificate.

Posted (edited)

It's amusing (and not unexpected), but the DFA's description of what must be included in the Report of Marriage does not match the New York consulate's. The consulate wants multiple copies of everything, while the DFA only wants multiple Report of Marriage forms and passport photos. Note that I couldn't find a corresponding informational page on the San Francisco consulate's website.

I misinterpreted. Disregard.

Edited by Nathan Alden, Sr.

@Nathan Alden, Sr., Compiled all your Qs in 1:

Did the Filipino spouse fill it out first and then mail it to the US for completion and further mailing to the San Francisco consulate? In other words, is my logistics assumption in the OP correct?
For anyone else looking at that cover letter, note that current DFA requirements indicate that five copies must be provided, not four.
How did you calculate the return postage on the self-addressed stamped return envelope?
Can you post your Affidavit of Explanation, too? We're in the same situation because we performed a Utah County's Zoom wedding from the Philippines.
Who did you make the cashier's check out to? Do you know if the fee is still $25?

-  Well, I (the wifey :)) filled out all the information.  I gave hubby instruction to sign in front of Notary.. to have it notarized.  (My side on form was not yet notarized at that time)

- Still 4 copies, refer to https://pcgsanfrancisco.org/civil-registry/  >> Under Report of Marriage

-  SEEMS the Requirement has changed, requiring the marriage license/cert from Utah be now Apostilled.  Refer to website, it will answer all your Qs.
- USPS Priority Mail.  Fixed Price.
As per site section 😧

4. Processing fee of $25.  Fees should be made payable to the “Philippine Consulate General” in Money Order or Bank Draft. Cash, personal checks and credit/debit cards are not accepted.  All Fees are non-refundable. 

image.png

https://pcgsanfrancisco.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/ROM-CHECKLIST-AS-OF-2024.05.22-PDF.pdf

image.thumb.png.acadbd835a40ab7bda4d5f5ef7e494bc.png

Edited by hunny&me

2 hours ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

@hunny&me Can you post your Affidavit of Explanation, too? We're in the same situation because we performed a Utah County's Zoom wedding from the Philippines.

It seems this is no longer a requirement.  This has been replaced by " For Online, Proxy, and Self-Solemnized Marriages - One (1) original and three (3) photocopies of Apostilled Marriage Certificate"
image.png.8ba2ec4dc5f2c37d0dd8e876bdbb93ca.png

1 minute ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

Interesting that the checklist on the San Francisco consulate's website doesn't mention CENOMAR at all. I may include it anyway.

Even before (2022), not needed.  Since you are filing at SF, that is your guideline.  No need to refer to other consulate.  PCGSF checklist is as of May 22, 2024, so it is recent.  My experience with them has been good.  They answer my emails, they sent email confirming receiving our application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.