J&E2013

Planning to petition my mom

23 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone, first of all. I became a USC in sept 2019. Then 2020 comes the pandemic started and sad to say my dad didn’t make it, he died in 2022. And I never had a chance to see him since 2013 😢 and I miss him so much 😭. Fast forward to present time, I was planning to petition my mom. She’s 67 now, I just need some guide on what paperwork’s do I need from her to start the process. She’s in the Philippines with my siblings and my nieces. And what do I need to consider, thanks for all your input 

1 minute ago, milimelo said:

Guides tab on the top of the page. Most importantly, figure out how you'll pay for healthcare costs for your mother. 

Thanks, since she’s 67 and I live in NC I guess she can’t have Medicare so I need to research how much health insurance  costs here or maybe they all the same in every state, I’m not sure 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does she have a good pension?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, J&E2013 said:

No, she doesn’t have. She have no job in the Philippines

You can afford to fund her retirement?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You can afford to fund her retirement?

I hope so. But my dad have retirement benefits but since my mom’s gonna get survival benefits from the Philippines next year. 

36 minutes ago, J&E2013 said:

No, she doesn’t have. She have no job in the Philippines

You'll want to research this very, very carefully.  She will not be eligible for any type of Medicare or social security, and you will be signing a document agreeing that she will not try to get means-tested benefits.  

Health care premiums will cost you several thousands of dollars per month.

Timeline

Many are mentioning costs, but is she going to be happy here? Are other family members here? Do you live near a large Filipino community? Do you work or will you be home with her?

We are bringing my mother in law, who is in her early 50s, and I worry we are making a mistake. She’s going to be looking after grandkids, but I think it’s likely she will feel lonely and homesick.

11 hours ago, SalishSea said:

You'll want to research this very, very carefully.  She will not be eligible for any type of Medicare or social security, and you will be signing a document agreeing that she will not try to get means-tested benefits.  

Health care premiums will cost you several thousands of dollars per month.

I think I will think about it and do a research. But a lot of people petitioning their parents to come here, I don’t know their living situations but maybe they’re doing fine. Not to mention about what’s going on our southern border. 

Timeline

You asked the issues you need to consider.

Now it definitely would not have worked in my situation but people's situations vary.

4 hours ago, D-R-J said:

Many are mentioning costs, but is she going to be happy here? Are other family members here? Do you live near a large Filipino community? Do you work or will you be home with her?

We are bringing my mother in law, who is in her early 50s, and I worry we are making a mistake. She’s going to be looking after grandkids, but I think it’s likely she will feel lonely and homesick.

I’m not sure, but my mom told me she wanted to come here with me. It’s just me and my husband in the house. Right now I’m not yet working so maybe soon I’ll have a job. I’m not sure if there’s a Filipino community in my area as I’m the kind of person that like to stay at home and rarely go out. She might feel homesick I don’t know. I think I need to explain everything to her and make sure she understands before we made a final decision.

Timeline

Just wondering how far her pension will go in the US.

Have you talked to her how she will afford this?

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You asked the issues you need to consider.

Now it definitely would not have worked in my situation but people's situations vary.

Yes I know, every situations vary so I would consider it like you said. And what I said I’ll think about all the inputs before making final decisions and explain to her everything so she understands it.

And I thank you all for all the inputs you have given me. I guess I need to explain and talk to her everything before we made a decision. Thanks again guys 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.