Stevephoto

13A Spousal Visa in hand: review of the process for those who will follow this venture after me and a few questions for those who went before me.

1 post in this topic

Mabuhay everyone. It has been a while. I finally have some updates that might be helpful (I do know that this is a forum for people coming to the US, but as has been noted before, the Philippines forum has been helpful for all thing Filipino including moving from the US to the Philippines). I finally received my 13A Visa a few days ago! I applied and received it while in the US and the process was quite easy (with a few hiccups that I will describe) and fast. While the time frame from applying to receiving the visa was fast, the time gathering the requirements took some time—especially juggling a full-time job at the time. What I am going to say is specific to the Philippine Consulate in Honolulu, the process may be relatively similar in your area. First comment is that the consulate was as friendly and helpful as could be. They responded to my (many) emails within the same day. Unfortunately one of the responses indicated that the visa had a set end date that would not be extended.

The process was to email all your documents to the consulate for initial review. This is not a big deal for most of us, but you will need to be able to scan and save your documents. The consulate will—and did—email you if they need more information. I was then asked to mail all of the original documents to the consulate. I live 10 minutes from their office and asked if I could drop t˙e packet off. Nope. Mail only. They recommended Priority Mail from the USPS with tracking information and I would have to agree. Our packet was delivered to them in one day and the return delivery was also one day. Here is what you need from the consulate website  (with notes):

13A Immigrant Visa (spouse or unmarried child under twenty-one years of age of a Philippine citizen)

1.   Actual passport of applicant (valid at least 1 year from date of application) and one (1) photocopy of the data page. (Note: self-explanatory)

2.   Duly-accomplished Immigrant Visa application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink (One (1) original notarized and one (1) photocopy).  (Note: the only hassle here was finding time to get to the bank for the notary because as you will see later we also needed to send a notarized letter of intent to move from Joan. Our bank accepts a few notary appointments per day, so scheduling the appointment with two full-time jobs was a challenge. Obviously you do not need to use your bank for a notary, but plan ahead.)

3.   Four (4) identical colored photos, 2″ x 2″, taken within six months before the date of application, showing a clear front view of applicant’s face, with a white background. No sleeveless attire. Blurred or low-quality photos are not accepted. (Note: Easy—CVS!)

4.   Documentary evidence to prove Philippine citizenship of spouse/child and show the applicant’s relationship to the Philippine citizen (One (1) original and one (1) photocopy):

A. Philippine passport of Filipino spouse/child and Birth Certificate of spouse/child issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority; (Note: We had these documents from previous applications, but remember the new law that your birth certificate is still valid if it was issued from the old NSO)
B. If married to a Filipino spouse:  Marriage Certificate issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority or Report of Marriage issued by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate (if married outside the Philippines). (Note: THIS one created a minor problem! Read the requirement carefully: it says PSA Marriage Certificate OR Report of Marriage IF married outside of the Philippines. Joan and I were married in Hawai’i and duly filed our Report of Marriage immediately. So…I emailed a copy our ROM AND our Hawai’i marriage certificate…and received an email back requesting the PSA Marriage certificate! Thankfully they sent a link to psaserbilis -dot- com. We used the DHL Express option and had the certificates in about a week. Lesson: be sure to file your ROM AND get the PSA Marriage certificate!)

C. Copy of US green card or Certificate of Dual Citizenship, if applicable (for Filipino spouses who are residing in the US). (Note: we had Joan’s dual citizenship papers.)

5. Duly notarized letter signed by the Filipino spouse of the applicant’s intention to permanently reside in the Philippines and other reasons for the visa application. (See above for the notary issue. We just made a letterhead and wrote that we were moving to our house at —address— and planned to move around August.)

6. Medical Examination Report, duly accomplished by a licensed physician, which should include his/her contact details, and not be more than six (6) months from date of application, together with laboratory reports (original and one photocopy), for  the following tests: a) stool (ova/parasite and occult blood); b) urinalysis; and c) complete blood test (blood serology and chemistry) i.e. HIV, drugs, UTI. (Note: be prepared—this is a FULL lab test—and I mean FULL! The medical examination report is not the clearest document in the world and does not ask for things that you might expect from a medical examination—like blood pressure, etc. I was able to download the test results from the lab, but I picked up the copies from my doctor because they had more information about who ordered the tests.  I included the fact that I have Cerebral Palsy on my application and on the medical examination report. I just indicated that it was from birth and not contagious—no problem.)

7.   Chest X-ray, negative, standard size - in CD (preferable). (Note: you will get a brief reading of the results, but make sure you get the CD. The consulate will ask for it.)

8. Copy of a proof of vaccination against COVID-19, i.e. CDC vaccination record card, state issued vaccine records. (Note: Yes, they are still asking for this!)

9.   Certificate of No Police Record from place of residence of applicant (original and one photocopy) (Note: as stated, this is from your local police. Search for how to get your police record in your area—it was not the police department in Honolulu so don’t walk in and ask for it! In Honolulu you can request a name only search or a fingerprint search. The fingerprint search cost a little more, but it is worth it. Funny story—the fingerprinting was a little awkward because of the way my muscles work. It took about 5 or 6 attempts to get a good reading. I was fine with it but the guy collecting the prints kept apologizing! I felt worse for him than me!)

10.   Proof of financial stability (One (1) original and one (1) photocopy) (e.g. proof of real property, investment/s, bank certification, pension, or notarized Affidavit of Support from a relative in the Philippines, with attached documents to substantiate declaration or claim.) (Note: I sent a copy of our house payment statement and a note estimating my pensions and SSA in pesos. I did not send any bank statements.)

11.Self-addressed prepaid return envelope, with stamps worth USD 9.90 for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice (Do not use FedEx). (Note: Use the flat rate priority mail envelope and place the stamp on the envelope. It is too small and easy to lose. Have the post office place the tracking sticker on the envelope and write the number somewhere—the little piece of paper the post office gives you can also get lost.)

12.Visa fee of $150.00 (non-refundable), payable in cash or money order made payable to “Philippine Consulate General Honolulu, Hawaii.”  Personal checks are not accepted. (Note: Cash won’t work if you are required to mail your documents. The instructions say “money order,” but a bank cashier’s check was fine. The fee was $160.00 including a $10.00 expedite charge.)

This is similar to visas to enter the US to me: I received a sealed envelope to be turned over to immigration at NAIA—just like Joan received 13 years ago. The visa is NOT your permanent residence permit. It is a single entry visa which allows you to get a yellow ACR-I card. The yellow card to me is like a green card in the US. That is your ID and proof of permanent residence…which leads me to my questions to those who have gone before me! What are the next steps after I give the packet to the immigration officer at NAIA (and is this the person that I show my passport to or is it somewhere else at NAIA)? I have read that the ACR card is paid for five years but I need to check in with BI every year. Is that accurate?

I hope this long review helps others. I am sorry that I have not had much of value to add to this wonderful community but all my information about the steps to bring someone here is way outdated. I do appreciate those who do still contribute frequently. To the newer members: listen to the responses to your questions. You might not always like what you read, but believe me, those responding know what they are talking about. Take me for example: I went from total frightened newbie to someone who for a while knew what I was talking about to someone reversing course and retiring in the Philippines! There is no way that that would have happened without this incredible community.

Salamat everyone!

Edited by Stevephoto
Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.