flipicaneze

Requirements for starting grade school?

7 posts in this topic

My wife will be arriving with my 7 year old son.  He will be starting 1st grade. 

He is up to date with Philippines vaccine requirements.  We have his report card and certificate of moral character as well.  Anything other docs we may be missing? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Chicago area 

Proof of age includes, but is not limited to, one of the documents listed below:

• Child’s original birth certificate
  • Child’s baptismal record (not accepted for preschool enrollment)
  • U.S. or Foreign Passport

Parent needs

Proof of current address includes, but is not limited to, any two of the documents listed below:

• Current utility bills
  • Illinois driver’s license or State of Illinois identification card
  • Deed
  • Employee identification card
  • MediPlan/Medicaid card
  • Voter registration card
  • Court documents
  • Illinois Department of Public Aid card
  • Stamped United States Post Office change of address form
  • Illinois state aid check/social security check
  • Other identification card issued by a federal or state agency or a foreign government consulate, such as a Matricula Consular
Edited by JeanneAdil

I would imagine that every state and every school district has slight differences and your best bet would be to look up or go down and ask about your local requirements.

Vaccinations and proof of residency seem to be the main requirements.  Maybe proof of age or relationship at some places.

I our case, with a 9-year-old from the Philippines entering 3rd grade in Southern California, I enrolled her online on the school district’s web site about 3 weeks before they even got here.  I used her vaccine worksheet from her immigration medical at Saint Luke's and my driver’s license and utility bill as proof of residence within the school district. They didn't request a shred of proof of the child's identity.  Subsequently someone from the school called me and wanted more information about how well she spoke and understood English.  At the conclusion of that call, they said she is good to go and just drop her off at the school office whenever she got here and was actually ready to start. They basically took our word for it and went by age as far as grade placement.  Even though I told them her English was fine they still tested her with an English assessment exam and determined that yes, she did speak and understand English.

At least here the school district had little interest in her grade school records from the Philippines.  It was funny because after my stepdaughter was already here a couple of months, her former teacher from the Philippines tracked her mom down on Facebook and was very insistently requesting proof that her daughter was in fact enrolled and attending school in the US and she seemed to feel some strong obligation to forward her Philippine school record to the new school.  It seemed like her school in the Philippines had some very strong policy to track departing students and make sure they remained in school wherever they went to.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
10 hours ago, top_secret said:

your best bet would be to look up or go down and ask about your local requirements

^^ This.

A call or visit to the school district's administrative office, or simply to the school-to-be, will yield the information that you need to know and provide.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

14 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Chicago area 

Proof of age includes, but is not limited to, one of the documents listed below:

• Child’s original birth certificate
  • Child’s baptismal record (not accepted for preschool enrollment)
  • U.S. or Foreign Passport

Parent needs

Proof of current address includes, but is not limited to, any two of the documents listed below:

• Current utility bills
  • Illinois driver’s license or State of Illinois identification card
  • Deed
  • Employee identification card
  • MediPlan/Medicaid card
  • Voter registration card
  • Court documents
  • Illinois Department of Public Aid card
  • Stamped United States Post Office change of address form
  • Illinois state aid check/social security check
  • Other identification card issued by a federal or state agency or a foreign government consulate, such as a Matricula Consular

Thanks, looks like I have those as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.