Robert809

When to submit Affidavit of Support?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I am the petitioner for a K1 visa. My I129-F has been approved. The NVC has forwarded our paperwork to the US Embassy in Thailand. And we have scheduled an interview with the embassy. They have sent us packets 3&4 which explains that we can schedule our interview and tells us what to bring to the interview. They don’t mention to bring an affidavit of support. USCIS or NVC did not request this form. It is listed as step 4 in the immigrant visa process on the gov website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/affidavit-of-support.html). It says to submit it on the CEAC website but when I log into CEAC, I’m not presented with a portal. It just displays a message that tells me to complete a DS-160 and then logs me out. I’ve completed a DS-160 and paid the fee several weeks ago…which is why I was able to schedule an appointment with the embassy.

When and where am I supposed to submit an affidavit of support? And is it form I-134 or form I-864 that I would submit?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My understanding at this point is that I-134 is meant for the interview and is only relevant and valid while the beneficiary is visiting the US to get married. Once married, you apply for the adjustment of status (green card) where you submit the I-864 which is valid until the spouse becomes a US Citizen. 

21 minutes ago, Julsia said:

@powerpuff Can an I-864 be brought to the interview instead of the I-134? 

Filed: Other Timeline
3 hours ago, Robert809 said:

Hello,

I am the petitioner for a K1 visa. My I129-F has been approved. The NVC has forwarded our paperwork to the US Embassy in Thailand. And we have scheduled an interview with the embassy. They have sent us packets 3&4 which explains that we can schedule our interview and tells us what to bring to the interview. They don’t mention to bring an affidavit of support. USCIS or NVC did not request this form. It is listed as step 4 in the immigrant visa process on the gov website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/affidavit-of-support.html). It says to submit it on the CEAC website but when I log into CEAC, I’m not presented with a portal. It just displays a message that tells me to complete a DS-160 and then logs me out. I’ve completed a DS-160 and paid the fee several weeks ago…which is why I was able to schedule an appointment with the embassy.

When and where am I supposed to submit an affidavit of support? And is it form I-134 or form I-864 that I would submit?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Have the fiance take the I-134 with him/her to the interview with all the other supporting documents.  I-864 comes at a later stage once the fiance is in the US and marriage is completed.  Then you apply for adjustment of status, while you are in the us, with the I-864 completed. 

I hope that helps.

Edited by aa1979

For a K1 visa the fiancee brings the actual affidavit of support and the documentation to the interview and turns it in to the person that checks all the documentation that is brought to the interview.  At least that is how it was handled by the US Embassy in Indonesia for my fiancee.  I basically filled out the affidavit of support and email all the pages and the documentation to my fiancee and he printed it all there and brought it to the interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.