Jay1122

Approaching 6 Months - No Status Change

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife submitted her N-400 on December 22nd, 2023. She has been checking the status everyday since with no change. We are now approaching the 6 month mark with the online status saying "5 days until decision". We are both getting concerned, has anyone had this happen to them before? Looking at the timeline information on VJ for our office and for online submission the average  processing time is 4 months. We even have a friend who went through the process and lives maybe 15 minutes from us and is from the same country who's whole process took four months. We are almost at 6 and there is no new information since the day we submitted. We've also been diligent about checking the mail and making sure we stay on top of any letters that may come and nothing there either.

She doesn't understand what couldbe wrong, she has no criminal record, even her one speeding ticket she ever got was probably 8 years ago and no points were added. The two things I could think of is. 1; there was a period of time were we didn't report our addresses when we moved. This was because our daughter was born, was in the ICU and then died at 3 months old and we were both very emotionally distraught and honestly at that time, updating our address with USCIS after moving was the last thing on our mind. She explained this in a supplemental document with her application.  2; She didn't a tax return in 2022 because she didn't make any money. She explained this as well when she submitted her application, she wanted to be up front about everything.

In our minds, we don't think that those two minor things would be grounds for denial of a application. Any insight into why maybe going on would be great, we are just so perplexed by this.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Check her online account.  All notices will be posted there long before you receive the hard copy letter.  N-400 interviews are extremely dependent on completion of background checks and Local office scheduling .

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What local office?  It isn't clear, has she already been to an interview?

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Jay1122 said:

We are now approaching the 6 month mark with the online status saying "5 days until decision". We are both getting concerned, has anyone had this happen to them before?

This is not extraordinary. The estimated time is all wrong and doesn't report accurately for most users.

2 hours ago, Jay1122 said:

She didn't a tax return in 2022 because she didn't make any money. She explained this as well when she submitted her application, she wanted to be up front about everything.

Did you make any money? Do you not file jointly as a married couple? Why?

10 hours ago, Jay1122 said:

Hello,

She has been checking the status everyday since with no change.

What are you basing the "5 days until decision" on? It's good to check the USCIS processing time for your local office occasionally to know when you can submit an inquiry if needed, and you might want to check myUSCIS once a week or so if you don't trust them to send an email update when the case status changes, but checking every day is only going to cause unnecessary stress. A quick glance through a handful of service centers for the N400 shows anything from 6 to 12 months as the processing time for 80 percent of cases.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

What are you basing the "5 days until decision" on? It's good to check the USCIS processing time for your local office occasionally to know when you can submit an inquiry if needed, and you might want to check myUSCIS once a week or so if you don't trust them to send an email update when the case status changes, but checking every day is only going to cause unnecessary stress. A quick glance through a handful of service centers for the N400 shows anything from 6 to 12 months as the processing time for 80 percent of cases.

OP is basing it on the "estimated time to completion" that you see in your online account. Those dates are always wrong, so not sure why OP is worried about that. 

OP: Count on the entire process taking 1,5 year - be happy if it goes faster. 6 months is nothing - stop comparing to other applicants or you will drive yourself nuts. Even at the same field office the processing times can vary greatly from applicant to applicant. Sit back and relax, it'll happen eventually. My process took 10 months, others at the same field office applied after me and became citizens before me. Others waited for close to 2 years. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 hours ago, Jay1122 said:

Hello,

My wife submitted her N-400 on December 22nd, 2023. She has been checking the status everyday since with no change. We are now approaching the 6 month mark with the online status saying "5 days until decision". We are both getting concerned, has anyone had this happen to them before? Looking at the timeline information on VJ for our office and for online submission the average  processing time is 4 months. We even have a friend who went through the process and lives maybe 15 minutes from us and is from the same country who's whole process took four months. We are almost at 6 and there is no new information since the day we submitted. We've also been diligent about checking the mail and making sure we stay on top of any letters that may come and nothing there either.

She doesn't understand what couldbe wrong, she has no criminal record, even her one speeding ticket she ever got was probably 8 years ago and no points were added. The two things I could think of is. 1; there was a period of time were we didn't report our addresses when we moved. This was because our daughter was born, was in the ICU and then died at 3 months old and we were both very emotionally distraught and honestly at that time, updating our address with USCIS after moving was the last thing on our mind. She explained this in a supplemental document with her application.  2; She didn't a tax return in 2022 because she didn't make any money. She explained this as well when she submitted her application, she wanted to be up front about everything.

In our minds, we don't think that those two minor things would be grounds for denial of a application. Any insight into why maybe going on would be great, we are just so perplexed by this.

Thank you!

Knowing the USCIS office would be helpful?   

Have you been checking your USCIS on line account daily?

Some offices take longer then others, Houston is the worst, but will admit the citizenship part was the easiest and fastest processing then the greencard process.

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     N-400 Interview   APPROVED  

June 5th, 2024:   OATH DAY:       

June 5th 2024:  My husband became a US Citizen ♥♥   1, 474 New US Citizens sworn in- Houston, Tx. 

The End of a Very long journey! 

looney tunes i might have miss a th in there GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

21 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Check her online account.  All notices will be posted there long before you receive the hard copy letter.  N-400 interviews are extremely dependent on completion of background checks and Local office scheduling .

Thanks @Crazy Cat as I shared in my post my wife checks the online account everyday.

21 hours ago, Dashinka said:

What local office?  It isn't clear, has she already been to an interview?

Tampa, FL

We have had no change in status of the application since we submitted. No interview as of yet.

11 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

@JKLSemicolon thanks for your feedback. We are basing it off of the status in her MyUSCIS online account. It's good to know and we had know idea about the processing time info on USCIS. It says 7.5 months for our local office, this makes us feel better.

1 hour ago, Bethie said:

Knowing the USCIS office would be helpful?   

Have you been checking your USCIS on line account daily?

Some offices take longer then others, Houston is the worst, but will admit the citizenship part was the easiest and fastest processing then the greencard process.

Hi @Bethie Tampa, Fl. Yes we are checking daily. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
On 6/18/2024 at 8:59 AM, Jay1122 said:

We file jointly. I did not make enough income that year to be required to file a tax return.

This probably isn't what's delaying your case, since it's more something that would come up at the interview. However, FILE IT NOW. Filing a tax return with the IRS every year is a requirement for permanent residents. Your wife's naturalization likely won't be approved if there's a year missing (source: someone who filed in October was in the same situation and she was asked at the interview to file and provide proof, with her application delayed).

Once your application status online says it's taking longer than expected, you can start calling USCIS to ask for updates, and get your representative or senator involved. It should happen in the next few days.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

10 hours ago, Laure&Colin said:

This probably isn't what's delaying your case, since it's more something that would come up at the interview. However, FILE IT NOW. Filing a tax return with the IRS every year is a requirement for permanent residents. Your wife's naturalization likely won't be approved if there's a year missing (source: someone who filed in October was in the same situation and she was asked at the interview to file and provide proof, with her application delayed).

Once your application status online says it's taking longer than expected, you can start calling USCIS to ask for updates, and get your representative or senator involved. It should happen in the next few days.

I don't believe that is true. I watch "Jackie" on Youtube and she said it is fine to not file taxes when you don't meet the threshold to file. USCIS can't make up their own tax filing rules. All people working in the US files taxes under the IRS rules, making over the standard deductions or $400+ in self employments triggers a filing requirement. To file a 0 income return, people need to mail that in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, BlackPearl9 said:

I don't believe that is true. I watch "Jackie" on Youtube and she said it is fine to not file taxes when you don't meet the threshold to file. USCIS can't make up their own tax filing rules. All people working in the US files taxes under the IRS rules, making over the standard deductions or $400+ in self employments triggers a filing requirement. To file a 0 income return, people need to mail that in.

From the USCIS website:

Your Responsibilities as a Permanent Resident

As a permanent resident, you are:

• Required to obey all laws of the United States and localities;
  • Required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities;
  • Expected to support the democratic form of government (“support” does not include voting. Permanent residents cannot vote in federal, state, or local elections.); and
  • Required to register with the Selective Service, if you are a male age 18 through 25.

The USCIS absolutely can decide to decline benefits based on requirements of their choosing. Personally I wouldn't risk it and just file for the missing year, especially since supposedly OP won't owe anything. It could very possibly delay the wife's naturalization based on past experiences shared here by other members. 

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.