Embran

IR1 visa not stamped at port of entry

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm really sorry if this was asked before.

I moved to the usa on 9th June on a CR1 visa.

The custom officer did not stamp my passport (I was expected an ink stamp) and told me everything is recorded online. He also told me all the forms are online now. Nothing else.

Does anyone know if this is normal? I am not questionning the authorities protocole, just double checking :)

The officer gave me his name should I need to contact them if any concern 😊

When I went on holiday in the usa last year on Esta, I remember they did not stamp my passport either and I was surprised about it.

On my visa, it says 'Upon endorsement serves as a temporary I- 551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.'

I also paid my immigrant fees on 29th May 2024. I assume my green card is on the way?

Thank you for your help 🙏

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

very few US airports stamp passports anymore

everything is recorded online as an I-94, which you can get here if you need it https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

so yes, it is normal that they didn't stamp your passport :)

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This isn't the first time we've heard that the CBP officer doesn't stamp the passport.  It perplexed the lot of us.  How is anyone supposed to know when that year is?  I also don't know how this impacts getting a SSN considering the SSA says you can use an endorsed MRIV and usually the stamp is the endorsement.  

If you paid your fee, your card should come.  If you log into to your MyUSCIS account, you can follow updates.  Additionally, you can sign up for USPS Informed Delivery and you'll see the envelope appear in your postal tracking.  It seems the majority of people have been getting their greencards in reasonable time.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

This is not correct.  LPRs do not have I-94s.  The passport should have been stamped.  

oh! my mistake

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from AOS from K1/K3 - as this is not an AOS question, the OP entered with a spousal visa.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, mam521 said:

How is anyone supposed to know when that year is? 

Exactly correct.  That is why immigrant visas must be stamped.  This was a CBP error.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Requirements for Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

"An intending immigrant must present the immigrant visa at a U.S. port-of-entry prior to the expiration of the immigrant visa. An intending immigrant becomes a lawful permanent resident once the immigrant visa and accompanying paperwork is reviewed and endorsed by a CBP Officer. "

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Exactly correct.  That is why immigrant visas must be stamped.  This was a CBP error.

Hi crazy cat

Thank you for your reply.

I am super nervous about this now. I have emailed the nearest CBP site. Let's see what they say.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Embran said:

Hi crazy cat

I am super nervous about this now. I have emailed the nearest CBP site. Let's see what they say.

I would go to a DIS and tell them you want the stamp.  They have given members incorrect info over the phone before for this issue. The visa MUST be stamped/endorsed.  Your plastic Green Card might take months arrive.  You need the stamp to endorse the visa, and to indicate when you entered the US.

"An intending immigrant must present the immigrant visa at a U.S. port-of-entry prior to the expiration of the immigrant visa. An intending immigrant becomes a lawful permanent resident once the immigrant visa and accompanying paperwork is reviewed and endorsed by a CBP Officer. "

Edited by Crazy Cat

18 minutes ago, Embran said:

Hi crazy cat

If you are able to confirm the hours they are open you should be able to just show up without needing to contact them or make an appointment, etc. (at least this was the case for us a few years ago at the site located within our local airport).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In an effort to streamline and digitize the entry process for travelers arriving in the United States, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) began a pilot program in 2021 to eliminate ink stamps in passports for foreign nationals arriving in the United States.Jun 23, 2023

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

This was a big mistake by CPB.  Immigrant visas MUST be stamped in order to act as a temporary Green Card..  You need to go to your nearest CBP Deferred Inspection Site to get a stamp. 

I agree. I’d go without waiting for an email back and quite literally but respectfully demand the stamp. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.