Contrast777

Ex cheated but got the green card. I divorced, "remarried," now have a baby on the way. K1 vs CR1 vs E2 vs Others?

14 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am a US / Syrian dual national, born in the US.
I married a United Kingdom / Syrian dual national back in 2022.

I initiated a divorce after a couple months of marriage after discovering my ex-husband's infidelity.
Just before the divorce "finalized" (it took 6 months according to my state's law) my ex-husband received his green card.
Instead of making a bigger mess of things, I opted to leave him be, cut contact, and allow karma to run its course.

Shortly after I initiated the divorce, a blessing came my way in the form of a great man. By coincidence, he was similar to my ex-husband, also of UK / Syrian dual background.

We fell for each other and around 3 months after I filed for divorce, and a couple months before the divorce was finalized in the US, we got married in a small courthouse type marriage in Syria. Due to religious and cultural reasons, this was necessary for our relationship to develop.

It has been a year since then I am now pregnant and due in a few months with my first child. We are happily living together in Singapore and used the Syrian marriage documents to get my visa here. My family is mostly in the US and we could really use the support of family with the baby coming. So begins the search to find the best route to get my husband to the US..

My current husband did have a 1-year B2 visa back in 2018 (non-ESTA eligible because of a trip to Syria), visited some family in the US for a few days, then returned home to the UK without issue.

I consulted with a US-based immigration attorney and hold him the story outlined above. He suggested applying for a K1 / fiancé visa after saying my Syrian marriage would not be valid in the US because the date on it is before my divorce was finalized in the US. Some have said that we are "too married" now to go the K1 route because I am sponsored as his "wife / homemaker" for the Singapore visa.

He also mentioned the option of getting "remarried" here in Singapore, or wherever else, and applying for the CR1 marriage visa, but he said that could take longer than the K1. My concern with doing this is that we would have to "remarry" as soon as we can somewhere to document it, then immediately apply? My case is already going to look odd enough, this would probably make it look fishy? 

Some have suggested a B2 and getting married once in the US and doing a change of status. That's basically what happened with my ex-husband. We definitely do not want to go this route, so this is not an option.

Given that we have a child on the way soon, but I have a bad history with giving the wrong person a green card in the not-so-distant past, what would you say is the best route to take?

Thank you in advance 🙏

Marry (Utah online marriage?) and file for spousal visa. K-1 and CR-1 are perhaps two months difference BUT K-1 needs marriage within 90 days of entry, then adjustment of status before one gets a green card. CR-1 goes straight to green card upon entry to the US, can work from day 1, and that much faster to get naturalized. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Don't forget on the affidavit of support you have to count your ex-husband. So that will be four unless there are more that you haven't mentioned: You, your current non-spouse, your ex spouse, and the baby. Do you have the US based income or someone who will be a joint sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very long and expensive road ahead, agree forget the K1.

Much easier and much quicker to move to the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 hours ago, Contrast777 said:

Instead of making a bigger mess of things, I opted to leave him be, cut contact, and allow karma to run its course.

I’m sure you had a good heart on this one. But you actually hurt yourself because you allowed the petition to proceed even though you knew that you were no longer married. He got his green card through a sham marriage that you were part of. 
Did you also know that you’re on the hook for the I-864 until he becomes a citizen, works 40 quarters, or naturalizes?

We fell for each other and around 3 months after I filed for divorce, and a couple months before the divorce was finalized in the US, we got married in a small courthouse type marriage in Syria.

This is bigamy in the US. In a lot of States it is a crime.

consulted with a US-based immigration attorney and hold him the story outlined above. He suggested applying for a K1 / fiancé visa after saying my Syrian marriage would not be valid in the US because the date on it is before my divorce was finalized in the US. Some have said that we are "too married" now to go the K1 route because I am sponsored as his "wife / homemaker" for the Singapore visa.

forget About k1. That ship has sailed. You’re too married. 

Some have suggested a B2 and getting married once in the US and doing a change of status. That's basically what happened with my ex-husband. We definitely do not want to go this route, so this is not an option

Firdt of all, most visit visas are denied, especially to a man of a marriage age from Syria. That in and of itself is a factor. The other factor against your case is that he’s married to a USC. So, he’s not going to get one. But even if he did, coming to the US with a visit visa with the intent of adjusting status is fraud. Don’t do it. That would definitely, definitely complicate your case even more. 

I think this is a Jim Hacking question.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

I think this is a Jim Hacking question.

2%

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to "What Visa Do I Need."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

"a couple months before the divorce was finalized in the US, we got married in a small courthouse type marriage in Syria."

Like I said on Reddit, obviously an invalid marriage as you were not free to marry....

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
18 hours ago, Contrast777 said:

Hi!

I am a US / Syrian dual national, born in the US.
I married a United Kingdom / Syrian dual national back in 2022.

I initiated a divorce after a couple months of marriage after discovering my ex-husband's infidelity.
Just before the divorce "finalized" (it took 6 months according to my state's law) my ex-husband received his green card.

Shortly after I initiated the divorce, a blessing came my way in the form of a great man. By coincidence, he was similar to my ex-husband, also of UK / Syrian dual background.

We fell for each other and around 3 months after I filed for divorce, and a couple months before the divorce was finalized in the US, we got married in a small courthouse type marriage in Syria. Due to religious and cultural reasons, this was necessary for our relationship to develop.

It has been a year since then I am now pregnant and due in a few months with my first child. We are happily living together in Singapore and used the Syrian marriage documents to get my visa here. My family is mostly in the US and we could really use the support of family with the baby coming. So begins the search to find the best route to get my husband to the US..

My current husband did have a 1-year B2 visa back in 2018 (non-ESTA eligible because of a trip to Syria), visited some family in the US for a few days, then returned home to the UK without issue.

I consulted with a US-based immigration attorney and hold him the story outlined above. He suggested applying for a K1 / fiancé visa after saying my Syrian marriage would not be valid in the US because the date on it is before my divorce was finalized in the US. Some have said that we are "too married" now to go the K1 route because I am sponsored as his "wife / homemaker" for the Singapore visa.

He also mentioned the option of getting "remarried" here in Singapore, or wherever else, and applying for the CR1 marriage visa, but he said that could take longer than the K1. My concern with doing this is that we would have to "remarry" as soon as we can somewhere to document it, then immediately apply? My case is already going to look odd enough, this would probably make it look fishy? 

Some have suggested a B2 and getting married once in the US and doing a change of status. That's basically what happened with my ex-husband. We definitely do not want to go this route, so this is not an option.

Given that we have a child on the way soon, but I have a bad history with giving the wrong person a green card in the not-so-distant past, what would you say is the best route to take?

Thank you in advance 🙏

This situation is all kinds of crazy, and yes a USCIS officer, regardless of having a lawyer is going to think it is fishy because it is. You were not free to marry.  This "religious" marriage lacks integrity on so many levels. The rest of us with normal cases are already waiting a year or more for the first step- it will likely be years before this gets worked out.

Edited by KMG
error

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
13 hours ago, Boiler said:

2%

Hey at least it's something

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 hours ago, Contrast777 said:

What bigger of a mess could there be with you opting to knowingly allow your ex-husband to procure a green card (solely granted on the premise of being married to you)?

You did this knowing full well that he would not be remaining married to you. This is literally visa fraud.

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03

I-129F NOA1: 2024-04-17

I-129F RFE: 2024-06-05

I-129F NOA2: 2024-08-02

Timeline
1 hour ago, Rocio0010 said:

Hey at least it's something

Well I was guessing Jim’s reaction 

will you be on today? Actually not sure there is one today

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.