top_secret

Massive increase in medical fees by Saint Luke's

9 posts in this topic

Effective August 19 there will be HUGE increases in the cost of the medical exams at Saint Luke's.  The fees for ages 15+ increases from P18,540 to P28,250.  A whopping 52% increase to nearly $500.  Below age 15 the price is raised from P11,400 to P13,910. A 22% increase.

They are attributing the increase to a policy change extending IGRA TB testing to all adults.  Although the increase is substantially more than the cost of IGRA testing even in the US and they had been doing IGRA testing profitably for all child applicants for years at the previous child's price.  Not to mention how far out of line it is with the costs of any type of normal medical care in the Philippines.

If there is any bright side, presumably this would replace their infamous x-ray machine and reduce the number of applicants being unnecessarily sent for sputum testing.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Wow that's a lot.

6 hours ago, top_secret said:

If there is any bright side, presumably this would replace their infamous x-ray machine and reduce the number of applicants being unnecessarily sent for sputum testing.

I am sure that a lot of people will  be on board with that.

The announcement is on their webpage; though, there is lots of speculation as to why the increase. Everyone, it seemsis hoping for a new X-ray machine, but no one seems to be holding their breath, except for all the people who are now talking about rushing for advanced medical to try to avoid the increase. 😕 

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 5.03.54 PM.png

Edited by Jason and May

Wow, glad we missed the cutoff on this. I hope it means a more streamlined process and less people having to suffer the sputum process.  

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

Can anyone confirm that SLEC is not doing X-Ray anymore for TB testing and is now going to use IGRA TB testing instead?

My Pinay won't be taking the medical until later this year, just would like to know what's up with this news... if I have to pay more it would be nice if the x-ray was not required anymore.  

26 minutes ago, RufusDawes said:

Can anyone confirm that SLEC is not doing X-Ray anymore for TB testing and is now going to use IGRA TB testing instead?

My Pinay won't be taking the medical until later this year, just would like to know what's up with this news... if I have to pay more it would be nice if the x-ray was not required anymore.  

They say they are going to IGRA testing for everyone.  IGRA testing 'should' replace x-rays as a frontline TB test but Saint Luke's has not officially announced as much. For some time now children 14 and under have received only IGRA testing and have not received x-rays unless they tested positive.  One could infer that Saint Lukes would apply the same protocol to adults now, but they have not officially announced as much.  Additionally, the "GeneXpert" testing they refer to should replace the dreaded secondary sputum testing and give much faster results. Again, "should replace sputum testing" but they have not officially announced that yet.  So for now it seems like the x-ray/sputum testing issue goes away but until we see how Saint Luke’s actually really implements any new policy it remains uncertain.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

If they follow the CDC guidance this may not speed up the process but actually extend the timeline for a lot of applicants. 

My wife got flagged for sputum testing and it was negative. We are currently having to get her tested by the state PH office due to the visa annotation. 

From my discussions with the nurses here and research, the process goes blood test if positive X-ray and the sputum. But even if the blood test is positive and everything else negative the cdc requires treatment for latent TB. 

If they follow this I believe you will see a lot more applicants having to stay for treatment of TB in the Philippines, rather than going through the process here.

Now of course this is all my opinion, I personally planned for any worse case scenario when I was applying for our visa. It made all the hoops and hurdles that come with working with anything in the Philippines, much easier to deal with.

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.