tmrtng

Medical travel insurance or catastrophic plan?

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Can anybody share their experience with temporary medical coverage for green card holders? 

My parents are coming to the United States for 2.5 months to get their GC and then they will have to leave the US for several months. 

While they are here staying and waiting for the GC, I really want to get them medical coverage just in case.

I checked such companies as Seven Corners, and Trawick. Their websites state that GC holders may be unable to purchase their policy. I did chat with the agents: Seven Corners said, no they will not cover my parents, Trawick said yes, they will cover them because they do not live here permanently yet.

The thing is that my parents' situation is a very grey area, they are not tourists, they GC holders, but they are not staying here yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tatyana.

Current cases: Bringing my parents to US

Mother: I-130 - Dec 6, 2022 - Application received

Father: I-130 - Dec7, 2022 - Application received

Mother: I-130 - Oct 24, 2023 - Approved

Father: I-130 - Oct 25, 2023 -Approved

Mother: NVC - Nov 6, 2023 - Paid

Father: NVC - Nov 6, 2023 - Paid

Mother: NVC - Dec 16, 2023 - Forms Completed + Docs submitted

Father: NVC - Dec 16, 2023 - Forms Completed+ Docs submitted

Mother: NVC - Dec 21, 2023 - DQ

Father: NVC - Jan 04, 2024 - DQ

Both parents: Interview schedules-for March 2024-Feb 13, 2024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They will need travel insurance for their several months trip.

You do not buy travel insurance for the Company you reside in.

What are their plans for US cover?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@Boiler my parents do not have any medical insurance yet. They are coming to the US on their immigration visa to get their Green Cards. Then after receiving the GCs they will have to return to their home country to finish some business. I want to purchase medical insurance here in the US for them while they are waiting for their GCs.

Timeline

They will get a stamp in their passport that acts as a temporary GC until the card arrives.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes, I understand that. But my question is not about GC. I need help to find a medical insurance for 2 months for green card holders.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, tmrtng said:

Yes, I understand that. But my question is not about GC. I need help to find a medical insurance for 2 months for green card holders.

The usual routes are through work but that seems unlikely or ObamaCare, which State will they be residing in?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 9:57 PM, Boiler said:

The usual routes are through work but that seems unlikely or ObamaCare, which State will they be residing in?

Illinois.

Timeline

I think Illinois dod have a plan but cut it so you are looking at Work or Obamacare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When they enter the US they become permanent residents. You don't get travelers insurance because they would be living in the US.  Yes, even though they are going to go back, the US is now their home. This is where they now live. That is what they are doing when endorsing the visa.

When they leave to go back to tie up loose ends they would be considered visiting their home country.

Avoid that company that wants to sell you insurance for those two months. If a claim was ever filed I bet it would be denied as they are not visitors. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.