OmoNaijaUK

Would my children (under 16yrs) who have US Green Card but live in UK be able to get US passport when I get US passport?

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2024 at 1:50 AM, Laure&Colin said:

Well, a green card as you call it is a Lawful PERMANENT Resident card so obviously not designed for temporary residence. Having your primary residence in the US is required to maintain LPR status, besides the physical presence.

From how you describe your situation it looks like you should be on a work visa (maybe a J Visa related to academic work) rather than a permanent resident. I don't know how you got LPR status for your kids, but you had to have said at some point that they lived with you in the US. I'd be very careful to apply for citizenship because the question "where are your kids" is likely to come up and you might run into problems here if the officer thinks you lied about their residence in order to obtain benefits for them that they didn't qualify for.

Your assumptions do not apply. That was not how they got Greencard. It was thru family filing and legitimate. Many people have US passport but do not live in the US. Being permanent resident doesn't mean you've got to be stuck in the US forever!

The question of which visa I should have is not what was asked here. It is always good and reasonable to focus on the question. Many people commenting here mostly rely on their own struggles towards acquiring Greencard and their situations do not apply to everyone. There are different legitimate routes to everything and what was applicable to you might not be applicable to others.

Edited by OmoNaijaUK

Posted (edited)

It looks like many people commenting here do not know the rules themselves unlike another forum where there real immigration lawyers offering reasonable advice and possible solutions. Being permanent resident doesn't mean you've got to be stuck in the US forever and ever!

Many people have US passport but do not live in the US. It is a choice!

Many people commenting here mostly rely on their own struggles towards acquiring Greencard and their situations do not apply top everyone. Many are merely emotional about Greencard and mere visa.  There are different legitimate routes to everything and what was applicable to you might not be applicable to others.

I DO NOT NEED ANY FURTHER ADVICE HERE BECAUSE I HAVE GOT WHAT I WANT FROM ANOTHER FORUM (which contains knowledgeable immigration professionals).

Thanks everyone for your attempted helps and suggestions!

Edited by OmoNaijaUK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not see the downside in applying.

I am interested in knowing what forum contains immigration professionals.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, OmoNaijaUK said:

The tax I pay monthly is more than average American monthly salary and possibly more than your monthly wages.

Good to know though I doubt it. In any case, you're not really answering questions asked. But do let us know how your naturalization goes... 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

2 hours ago, OmoNaijaUK said:

Being permanent resident doesn't mean you've got to be stuck in the US forever and ever!

You're correct about this one too. Though it doesn't mean somebody can get spend as much time outside of the US as they wish. Few weeks / months a year is OK. However, LPR is expected to live in the US for majority of time (ideally 9+ months and definitely over 6 months). Otherwise they cannot naturalize and may lose GC.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
4 hours ago, OmoNaijaUK said:

Many people have US passport but do not live in the US. Being permanent resident doesn't mean you've got to be stuck in the US forever!

Of course US citizens can live wherever they want. That is not the case for permanent residents. It doesn't mean they're stuck in the US forever, but if they decide to live abroad, they de facto abandon their LPR status. It doesn't matter how it was acquired in the first place.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/maintaining-permanent-residence

"You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it, including but not limited to:

Moving to another country and intending to live there permanently;

Declaring yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns; or

Remaining outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless it’s a temporary absence"

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 hours ago, Conchas Chinas said:

Now we're getting as "silly as the responses" with which you have issues with.

Can you share the other forum that you mention. I would like to have a look.

Good luck with your family's naturalization. Would be good to keep us informed on how it went - if only to rub our collective noses in it :) 

Me Too

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 6/12/2024 at 8:31 PM, OmoNaijaUK said:

Being permanent resident doesn't mean you've got to be stuck in the US forever and ever!

Many people have US passport but do not live in the US. It is a choice!

Professor. Please don't conflate USC with LPR. Two different things.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
On 6/13/2024 at 4:19 AM, OmoNaijaUK said:

The tax I pay monthly is more than average American monthly salary and most likely more than your own monthly incomes. 

Flexing income here? Really? You are the personification of class, my good sir (I am sure you are trying hard to instill it on your offspring, too).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.