JEC88

PLEASE HELP!

46 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, JEC88 said:

@Boiler from what I’ve researched I was thinking the EB-3 might be the most likely visa I’d be eligible for. I’ll get my friend to speak with his immigration lawyer and see what they say, I really appreciate your time and help in this post. 

As above, for EB-3 skilled you need 2 years experience, or 2 years training, for the job. So you don't qualify at the moment, but could do in a couple of years if you get a job doing it in the UK first - https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-third-preference-eb-3

But if you can give more info about the job and location then somebody can try and help, it may be that there's the option of the unskilled EB-3 instead. 

Also, just in case you're not aware, the EB-3 takes many years. If you look at the next month's VB then you'll see that those with skilled EB-3 apps who applied before December 2021 are only just eligible to apply for visas, for unskilled it's those who applied before Jan 2021. So 4-5 years ish of waiting as a rough guide once you've added on the LC PERM step.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-july-2024.html So do just check that your friend is happy to wait and keep the job open that long for you. 

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

Also (just read the thread from the beginning again), make sure your sister petitions for you as soon as she becomes a citizen. Just as back up in case you can't find any other way over, it's a long wait but would be sensible to do asap. You don't want to try and move via employment for the next decade and then decide to go down the sibling sponsorship route as you'd have wasted a lot of time by then. 

Also, is Canada of any interest? They have a skilled trade route that would be much more feasible. 

Edited by appleblossom

11 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Also (just read the thread from the beginning again), make sure your sister petitions for you as soon as she becomes a citizen. Just as back up in case you can't find any other way over, it's a long wait but would be sensible to do asap. You don't want to try and move via employment for the next decade and then decide to go down the sibling sponsorship route as you'd have wasted a lot of time by then. 

Also, is Canada of any interest? They have a skilled trade route that would be much more feasible. 

Thank you for your time with this topic I really appreciate it. I’ll be sure to ask my sister in law to petition as soon as she can. 

Since my previous post earlier today I’ve received another potential offer that is in the same industry I currently work in and have qualifications in so fingers crossed this amounts to something. 

I’m aware my options are limited, and the ones I potentially do have are long wait times but I am prepared to wait as long as the wheels are in motion so to speak and there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thanks again for your time

29 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

As above, for EB-3 skilled you need 2 years experience, or 2 years training, for the job. So you don't qualify at the moment, but could do in a couple of years if you get a job doing it in the UK first - https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-third-preference-eb-3

But if you can give more info about the job and location then somebody can try and help, it may be that there's the option of the unskilled EB-3 instead. 

Also, just in case you're not aware, the EB-3 takes many years. If you look at the next month's VB then you'll see that those with skilled EB-3 apps who applied before December 2021 are only just eligible to apply for visas, for unskilled it's those who applied before Jan 2021. So 4-5 years ish of waiting as a rough guide once you've added on the LC PERM step.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-july-2024.html So do just check that your friend is happy to wait and keep the job open that long for you. 

Good luck. 

My apologies, the job role I am currently in is a senior pipeline engineer and the location we are hoping to move to is Atlanta GA. My wife and I have discussed the possibility of moving to another state if it sped things up or made things simpler, and then possibly relocate after a few years of living and working in the states. 

2 hours ago, JEC88 said:

Thank you for your time with this topic I really appreciate it. I’ll be sure to ask my sister in law to petition as soon as she can. 

Since my previous post earlier today I’ve received another potential offer that is in the same industry I currently work in and have qualifications in so fingers crossed this amounts to something. 

I’m aware my options are limited, and the ones I potentially do have are long wait times but I am prepared to wait as long as the wheels are in motion so to speak and there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thanks again for your time

Oh that sounds promising, fingers crossed they can find a visa that suits. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, JEC88 said:

My apologies, the job role I am currently in is a senior pipeline engineer 

I assume your current company doesn't have locations in the US? There are tons of engineering companies that do, if the new job offer doesn't amount to anything then it might be worth trying to get a job at one of those, working a year or two then asking for a transfer. My company has at least one office in every state and transfers engineers all the time. Not sure of the level they offer this at, but most multi-nationals will offer a full expat assignment too which has massive financial benefits i.e. housing/car/schooling paid for etc, so if you're senior enough that's another reason to go down that route. 

21 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

I assume your current company doesn't have locations in the US? There are tons of engineering companies that do, if the new job offer doesn't amount to anything then it might be worth trying to get a job at one of those, working a year or two then asking for a transfer. My company has at least one office in every state and transfers engineers all the time. Not sure of the level they offer this at, but most multi-nationals will offer a full expat assignment too which has massive financial benefits i.e. housing/car/schooling paid for etc, so if you're senior enough that's another reason to go down that route. 

No unfortunately it doesn’t! I think I read somewhere that most companies that offer transfers only really offer it to high level management and salaried positions within the company. Definitely something I could work towards and food for thought. Thank you

4 minutes ago, JEC88 said:

No unfortunately it doesn’t! I think I read somewhere that most companies that offer transfers only really offer it to high level management and salaried positions within the company. Definitely something I could work towards and food for thought. Thank you

Ours offers them to engineers, we have a huge number of people worldwide and people transfer all over the time to work on specific projects. When I said I wasn't sure about the level, I just meant for the full expat package, when you get your house, car etc, paid for - possibly that's only for higher level people who transfer rather than everybody.

Not sure what you mean by 'salaried positions' though? You wouldn't get a visa for any other kind of job.  

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, JEC88 said:

@Boiler from what I’ve researched I was thinking the EB-3 might be the most likely visa I’d be eligible for. I’ll get my friend to speak with his immigration lawyer and see what they say, I really appreciate your time and help in this post. 

That is what I would go for in your situation.

My Brother is an Accountant, now if he wanted to come over, he does not, than a EB2 NIW would make much more sense, he has worked for several companies he could have got a EB 2 through but he has no inclination to move here.

Sponsoring through me, well we could both be dead, well at least one of us before that happened.

Trying to guess timelines for an EB3 is tricky, none of us is prescient, but say less than 5 years? And of course enter the DV if available.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

Ours offers them to engineers, we have a huge number of people worldwide and people transfer all over the time to work on specific projects. When I said I wasn't sure about the level, I just meant for the full expat package, when you get your house, car etc, paid for - possibly that's only for higher level people who transfer rather than everybody.

Not sure what you mean by 'salaried positions' though? You wouldn't get a visa for any other kind of job.  

I guess it’s worth looking into at my end then! Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
17 minutes ago, JEC88 said:

I guess it’s worth looking into at my end then! Thank you!

Actually this is the key point because there is very little to do from your end, the onus and cost is basically on the Employer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.