Axys

Help with i134 - Beneficiary's financial info

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Me and my American fiancee are currently in the process of finishing up my i134. We are both in our early 20s, and as such we don't make enough money for her to sponsor me by herself, or for me to move to America entirely on my funds.

Under part 3, we've indicated her father as the individual agreeing to support the beneficiary (after getting his approval of course ahah). Now, her dad makes good money, but my parents do too, and they were planning to pay most of our bills until we both work full time and can stay afloat by ourselves. So:

1) Is there any way to include my parents' finances in the i134? They suggested that we should add their stocks portfolio under part 2 section 16, since the menu there allows to indicate the full name of the asset's holder. They think this means I don't have to be the asset holder necessarily, which seems right to me, but I wanted to ask if someone else here has done something similar before.

2) They also want us to add their income under part 2 section 13, which as I understand it is only for the income I'll be earning while in the United States before I get a green card or work permit (so, $0), and also for any dependents that I as the beneficiary would be financially supporting, like children and similar (which we don't have). Am I right in thinking there's no way to add their income information to the form?

Edited by Axys
edited for clarity

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  The US petitioner must provide a separate I-134, as does a joint sponsor.

2.  Only US citizens and Green Card holders living inside the US can serve as joint sponsors. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

In what country do you currently live?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hi! Thank you so much for responding. I live in Italy.

You said that the US petitioner needs to add a separate i134. Does that mean my fiancee should file another i134, even though she won't be giving much (if any) money to me, and that we will then submit both the one she filed and the one her dad filed?

And based on your response on 2, I'm assuming I shouldn't include any of my parents' details, then. Is that right?

Timeline
Posted (edited)

In what country do you reside?  This is important.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Axys said:

I worry about having two i134, mostly because the one she would file would have to state she has no money to give me. Wouldn't that be a bad look at the interview?

Of course, she will have to report no income on her own I-134 if it is true.  Your US fiance is your primary sponsor, and she must submit her own I-134.  That's why most consulates allow a joint sponsor....who must submit a separate I-134.  As I stated  joint sponsors MUST be US citizens or Green Card holders who live in the United States.  If they are not US citizens or Green Card holders living in the US, their income is irrelevant.

What is a K-1 Joint Sponsor? (boundless.com)

Edited by Crazy Cat

Right, I get that--my question was not whether my parents can be joint sponsors, but rather if I can add their income in part 2 section 13, and their assets in part 2 section 16, which says:

"In the table below, provide the amounts of assets available to the beneficiary for the expected period of his or her stay (excluding assets from any individuals named in Part 3.). Attach evidence showing that the beneficiary has these assets."

The part that says "available to the beneficiary" is what is tripping me up. My parents have already stated to me and my fiancee that they will be happy to support us with the means they have--effectively, I have their assets and incomes "available" to me, even though I don't own them.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Axys said:

Right, I get that--my question was not whether my parents can be joint sponsors, but rather if I can add their income in part 2 section 13, and their assets in part 2 section 16, which says:

"In the table below, provide the amounts of assets available to the beneficiary for the expected period of his or her stay (excluding assets from any individuals named in Part 3.). Attach evidence showing that the beneficiary has these assets."

The part that says "available to the beneficiary" is what is tripping me up. My parents have already stated to me and my fiancee that they will be happy to support us with the means they have--effectively, I have their assets and incomes "available" to me, even though I don't own them.

You can enter anything you want.  It will be up to the consulate officer as to whether to accept it.  Personally, I doubt it will be accepted....but your choice.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.