smilingstone

RFE - Missed a question, possible IMB query? "Discord" advice?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Recently received RFE and do not currently know for sure the exact request but as I love to suffer, I have been going over our application to look for anything that stands out.

It has just come to my attention that we neglected to answer the question regarding if we met via an IMB:

image.png.6da0a7a9fb0815c00a91c733c63939ac.png

Kicking myself that of all the times both me and fiancé looked through it, we glanced over it every time!

I am hoping some kind VJers will be able to provide some advice that will help us should the RFE relate to this (quite likely, I think?). 

Me and my fiancé met on a chat platform called Discord via a mutual friend. In our letter of circumstances meeting, we stated that we met online through a mutual friend, but did not specify the platform (which understandably would make USCIS unsure if we did meet through an IMB). I am now thinking that the best way to address this RFE (if relating to the above) is to provide full disclosure of the fact that we met on Discord and provide an explanation of what Discord is, with emphasis on the fact that it is not an IMB. I have read on here and Reddit that it's good practice to provide the platforms ToS/T&Cs to evidence that it is not an IMB site, however Discord's information does not mention any detail relating to this. 

Their ToS can be found here: https://discord.com/terms. It's very lengthy and I am not sure which aspect of the ToS would be best for me to use.

Are there any VJ couples who met in similar circumstances and were RFE'd into providing info on their use of Discord in meeting, and what this is? Or did you include info on Discord in your initial application and didn't get an RFE - if so, what sort of detail did you provide?

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03

I-129F NOA1: 2024-04-17

I-129F RFE: 2024-06-05

I-129F NOA2: 2024-08-02

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

my fiance and I didn't meet through discord (although we do use it) we did meet through an online game that is a hosted server that has a ToS.

Although the terms that server had were much shorter it basically said that same thing in the very first paragraph of the discord terms. The part where is says "when we say "Discord", "we", "us"..."

I personally would provide screenshots starting from the first sentence under the last number in the table of contents ("Welcome! Discord is the best place to talk...") up until the end of the "what you can expect from us" section.

In my opinion i think that would be enough to show what Discord is and that it is not a marriage broker

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

did USCIS return the petition and say 'complete it"

or tell u to explain 

i would mark it as No and enclose screen shot of 1st meeting that u mentioned in your cover letter 

Timeline

It's extremely possible that the RFE will just ask you to answer that question, not offer up any elaboration. I got an RFE for missing a checkbox about whether I have any criminal convictions, and the entire RFE was just for me to check "no" on the letter and send it back. Since Discord isn't an IMB, your RFE could be as simple as that! And, for what it's worth, it only held up the process about 3 weeks for us.

Timeline
9 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

did USCIS return the petition and say 'complete it"

or tell u to explain 

i would mark it as No and enclose screen shot of 1st meeting that u mentioned in your cover letter 

Haven't yet received the letter, so I am just trying to catch possibilities so I can start working on a response now (if needed). Seeing as I missed the checkbox, I'm confident that the RFE will request a response to that at the very least.

7 hours ago, alliejourney said:

It's extremely possible that the RFE will just ask you to answer that question, not offer up any elaboration. I got an RFE for missing a checkbox about whether I have any criminal convictions, and the entire RFE was just for me to check "no" on the letter and send it back. Since Discord isn't an IMB, your RFE could be as simple as that! And, for what it's worth, it only held up the process about 3 weeks for us.

I've seen similar letters being shown and was wondering if we'd get the same. I was thinking that if we did, if there'd be any advantage in still providing disclosure about Discord and making it clear that it isn't an IMB. I'm now just conscious of the fact that we said we "met online" which is kinda vague. In hindsight, I wish I'd offered more of an explanation. Would you also think we'd need to print out that particular page again, complete it and send it back for inclusion in our case?

10 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

my fiance and I didn't meet through discord (although we do use it) we did meet through an online game that is a hosted server that has a ToS.

Although the terms that server had were much shorter it basically said that same thing in the very first paragraph of the discord terms. The part where is says "when we say "Discord", "we", "us"..."

I personally would provide screenshots starting from the first sentence under the last number in the table of contents ("Welcome! Discord is the best place to talk...") up until the end of the "what you can expect from us" section.

In my opinion i think that would be enough to show what Discord is and that it is not a marriage broker

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. If we do end up including Discord ToS, I'll follow your advice. Would you suggest highlighting particular points to make it easier for them to skim through? I doubt they will sit there and attentively read through it all...

Thank you everyone!

[I-129F to K1]

Timeline
3 hours ago, smilingstone said:

I've seen similar letters being shown and was wondering if we'd get the same. I was thinking that if we did, if there'd be any advantage in still providing disclosure about Discord and making it clear that it isn't an IMB. I'm now just conscious of the fact that we said we "met online" which is kinda vague. In hindsight, I wish I'd offered more of an explanation. Would you also think we'd need to print out that particular page again, complete it and send it back for inclusion in our case?

I suppose you could, although if they aren't questioning your "met online" status then it wouldn't be necessary. My partner and I also met online - we met on a Jcink forum for writing - and I explained that in my initial package, and USCIS didn't question it or flag it as a possible IMB. Since I see here you said you didn't elaborate in your initial package, they may ask you for evidence. But if they don't, I truly don't think you'd need to try to "prove a negative", so to speak! I would just follow the exact instructions that are sent. You could always print out the Discord TOS for the interview stage in case the officer there asks about it.

If you get the same RFE as me, I didn't have to do anything other than check "no" and sign the exact same letter that they sent me, and then send it straight back. I didn't need to re-print that page or the petition, or any other part of the packet. Your instructions may be different but that's how it worked out for me!

Timeline
Posted (edited)

I am bumping this thread as we've now received the RFE letter. I've attached pics here.

To me it looks like they are simply asking for us to answer the IMB question and provide any further info if needed. Just to say again, we did not meet via an IMB so I suspect we would be just ticking NO and returning the single page RFE back to USCIS?

@alliejourney would appreciate your thoughts as you have been through this! :D 

RFE 1.jpg

RFE 2.jpg

Edited by smilingstone

[I-129F to K1]

2 hours ago, smilingstone said:

Just to say again, we did not meet via an IMB so I suspect we would be just ticking NO and returning the single page RFE back to USCIS?

That seems like the way to go and what they seem to want from the RFE pic!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

That seems like the way to go and what they seem to want from the RFE pic!

Thank you! Just want to be super sure I'm not missing anything obvious seeing how we missed answering it in the first place lol!

[I-129F to K1]

Timeline
On 6/11/2024 at 7:30 AM, smilingstone said:

I am bumping this thread as we've now received the RFE letter. I've attached pics here.

To me it looks like they are simply asking for us to answer the IMB question and provide any further info if needed. Just to say again, we did not meet via an IMB so I suspect we would be just ticking NO and returning the single page RFE back to USCIS?

@alliejourney would appreciate your thoughts as you have been through this! :D 

RFE 1.jpg

RFE 2.jpg

Hi! I'm sorry I'm responding a little late, currently visiting my partner and helping him pack up for the move!

Yes, this was exactly what my RFE looked like, and all you need to do is check no and send it back. :) As I said, since your answer is no, there's no need to provide further evidence to prove the negative! Congratulations, things will move quickly from here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.