Californiansunset

About to file N-400 | Discrepancy on Greencards

17 posts in this topic

Hey,

I was getting my N-400 papers ready since June 27th of this year, Germany will finally allow dual citizenship again without needing a permit from the German government.

When it asked me on the form to submit my “resident since”-date I noticed that on my current 10 year Greencard it says I became a resident in 2020. Going by that date I wouldn’t be eligible to become a US citizen yet. That is not true though. I became a lawful permanent resident in 2018. My conditional 2 year Greencard shows the correct date. 
Am I going to run into issues if I apply now submitting a picture of my current Greencard which shows the wrong date? (Please see picture of both cards)

Any advice is appreciated. 

IMG_0826.jpeg

I'd still apply as planned, but provide pictures of both green cards (and any immigrant visa you had in your passport) with a short explanation - someone obviously wasn't paying attention when they issued your 10-yr card. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You could still file an I90 with no cost since this is a USCIS mistake, and then provide the I90 receipt NOA with your N400 application.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I am flying out of the country for 3 weeks on June 18 so I am hesitant on filing a change to my Greencard while I am actively using it. :( I can’t believe I never noticed this. 

10 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I am flying out of the country for 3 weeks on June 18 so I am hesitant on filing a change to my Greencard while I am actively using it. :( I can’t believe I never noticed this. 

I'd only do anything immigration wise (I-90, N-400) when you're ready to spend 6-9 months inside the US to complete the process.

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

I'd only do anything immigration wise (I-90, N-400) when you're ready to spend 6-9 months inside the US to complete the process.

I will have to submit my current Greencard for the I-90 and I am flying out of the country minimum every 6 months so I’m hesitant to do this. Thanks for the feedback though. 

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

Do you mind explaining why? For the I-90 that makes sense since I will have to submit my current Greencard and I’ve always been sketched out about just flying with a NOA vs the actual physical card. But why should I remain within the U.S. for my N-400? Just curious. I usually fly to Germany every 6 months to help my grandmother with appointments and other chores. I never stay longer than 2-3 weeks. I obviously would remain in the country to attend any USCIS appointments (biometrics or interview etc). 

1 minute ago, Californiansunset said:

I will have to submit my current Greencard for the I-90 and I am flying out of the country minimum every 6 months so I’m hesitant to do this. Thanks for the feedback though. 

You don't have to submit the current GC until the very last moment of I-90 process. You submit copy with filing. And only return GC right when your I-90 is about to get approved, which can take months. By filing I-90 you're showing you made effort to correct error. You may naturalize before your would ever get I-90 approved. But you can show copy of I-90 receipt with your N-400 filing.

Make sure you don't spend too much time outside the US as it can geopardize your US citizenship petition.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I will have to submit my current Greencard for the I-90

You don't have to submit current GC, only copy

4 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

Do you mind explaining why? For the I-90 that makes sense since I will have to submit my current Greencard

You don't have to submit current GC, only copy

4 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I’ve always been sketched out about just flying with a NOA vs the actual physical card. 

Rightfully so as you cannot travel with only NOA1. You need:

- GC + I-90 OR

- I-551 stamp in passport OR

- Boarding foil

To board a plane to the US.

Edited by OldUser

39 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

Do you mind explaining why? For the I-90 that makes sense since I will have to submit my current Greencard and I’ve always been sketched out about just flying with a NOA vs the actual physical card. But why should I remain within the U.S. for my N-400? Just curious. I usually fly to Germany every 6 months to help my grandmother with appointments and other chores. I never stay longer than 2-3 weeks. I obviously would remain in the country to attend any USCIS appointments (biometrics or interview etc). 

Because you need to be available for biometrics, interview, oath and allocate time to get US passport once you naturalize.

29 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Because you need to be available for biometrics, interview, oath and allocate time to get US passport once you naturalize.

This all makes sense, thank you for taking the time to respond to my comments. 
I would remain in the country for any of those cases that USCIS requires me to attend an appointment. I would still also have my valid German passport for traveling before getting my U.S. passport. 
I will file the I90 error on current Greencard and submit it with my N-400 application. 

9 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I would still also have my valid German passport for traveling before getting my U.S. passport. 

Once you naturalize in the US (take oath) you can no longer leave or enter US on Reisepass. You must wait in the US to get US passport before leaving. You probably know it, but I'm reminding anybody else reading.

18 hours ago, OldUser said:

Once you naturalize in the US (take oath) you can no longer leave or enter US on Reisepass. You must wait in the US to get US passport before leaving. You probably know it, but I'm reminding anybody else reading.

Wait, I genuinely didn’t know that or never really thought that through. I have friends with multiple passports that use their home country’s passport when they fly home instead of their U.S. passport. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

Wait, I genuinely didn’t know that or never really thought that through. I have friends with multiple passports that use their home country’s passport when they fly home instead of their U.S. passport. 

The law requires US citizens to leave the US and enter the US on US passport. You can use German passport to enter or leave Germany / EU / other countries. This is why I mentioned allocating some extra time. Getting US passport can take few weeks after applying.

After naturalizing, your GC will be taken away. And while technically you can leave the US without US passport (not recommended as CBP now sometimes checks people leaving the US), you cannot reenter the US without the US passport. At least not by plane, maybe by land crossing. Again, not recommended.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.