Bladeness

Deny citizenship because of job?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, my husband just had his N-400 interview. Everything was approved and he was passed the test. But she said she can’t approve him and has to “look into it” because of his type of job.. 

We live in Michigan and marijuana is legal. He works at a marijuana packing company. She asked if he distributes it and he said no, as he doesn’t work at a distributor center. 

Can he really be denied citizenship all because he works for a marijuana company? This is insane and I’m freaking out bad. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I did a quick search and there have been several news articles saying people’s citizenship applications have been denied for working in that industry even if it was legal at the state it was in. So it’s possible that your husband could be denied because of it. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

Marijuana is still illegal federally and citizenship is federal process.  I see USCIS issued a policy alert in April 2019 that states:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is issuing policy guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual to clarify that violation of federal controlled substance law, including for marijuana, remains a conditional bar to establishing good moral character (GMC) for naturalization even where that conduct would not be an offense under state law.   

Good luck

Thank you for your very specific answer. It is a very tricky process with this involvement. She was asking very specific questions regarding exactly what he does, so it seems like she is doing what she can to help out situation. Luckily we were still approved for the 10 year GC and we will work towards citizenship in the future! :) 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Looks like he may get denied. In that case, change a job to something else, wait for 5 years (not sure if 3 years based on marriage would be OK for good moral character lookback) and reapply again.

Thank you for the next step if we are denied! I was reading up on that but wasn’t exactly sure if that was true, so Thank you ! Glad we have options and a second chance!

1 hour ago, Leeman15251 said:

I did a quick search and there have been several news articles saying people’s citizenship applications have been denied for working in that industry even if it was legal at the state it was in. So it’s possible that your husband could be denied because of it. 

I’ve been Google also, very tricky subject. Thank you for The answer! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)

I wonder if this can affect his Green Card?   Especially if they did a look back.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Bladeness said:

Luckily we were still approved for the 10 year GC

Combo interview? 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Combo interview? 

Yes and no. He came here on a K1 visa. It was suppose to be a combo interview but I stayed in the waiting room the whole time. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

I wonder if this can affect his Green Card?   Especially if they did a look back.

Was approved for the 10 year GC, he has a past job and his current job is still in the industry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bladeness said:

Hello, my husband just had his N-400 interview. Everything was approved and he was passed the test. But she said she can’t approve him and has to “look into it” because of his type of job.. 

We live in Michigan and marijuana is legal. He works at a marijuana packing company. She asked if he distributes it and he said no, as he doesn’t work at a distributor center. 

Can he really be denied citizenship all because he works for a marijuana company? This is insane and I’m freaking out bad. 

Kind of sucks, but yeah on the federal government level is not legal so he might have problems. I am sure if you search this forum there were other posts too about it.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

I would go further to say it’s advisable for both U.S. citizen petitioners/sponsors and immigrant beneficiaries to steer clear of the cannabis industry or any others that remain illegal at the federal level until the naturalization process is complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

I would go further to say it’s advisable for both U.S. citizen petitioners/sponsors and immigrant beneficiaries to steer clear of the cannabis industry or any others that remain illegal at the federal level until the naturalization process is complete.

Also I would add consumption to the list while not a citizen. once you are smoke/gummy away

Edited by ineedadisplayname

17 hours ago, Bladeness said:

Thank you for the next step if we are denied! I was reading up on that but wasn’t exactly sure if that was true, so Thank you ! Glad we have options and a second chance!

I’ve been Google also, very tricky subject. Thank you for The answer! 

its not tricky. USCIS applies federal laws .. They dont care about state laws. Under Fed's he is a drug dealer or sort of working with drugs. 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.