tortillos

US citizen qualification/eligibility to process k1 visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Being a USC

Look up I 864P

Also see guides

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Being a USC

Look up I 864P

Also see guides

Isn't I-134 lower requirements than I-864 though?  It's 100% above federal for K1 I thought

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Timeline
6 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Isn't I-134 lower requirements than I-864 though?  It's 100% above federal for K1 I thought

Do you not want to adjust?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

Do you not want to adjust?

Uh

Why am I being asked?  The question was about the K1.

That opens other questions about what the USC needs to provide for AOS, but that wasn't the question at hand.

Maybe provide context if that's something you deem relevant to all cases

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Uh

Why am I being asked?  The question was about the K1.

That opens other questions about what the USC needs to provide for AOS, but that wasn't the question at hand.

Maybe provide context if that's something you deem relevant to all cases

Context.  After the K1 holder arrives and marries, they just adjust status requiring a the sponsor to have a higher  income than reworded for the sponsorship of a K1. Experience reveals many K1 sponsors don’t do research into the follow on required.. and find themselves struggling to post for the AOS process. This diy site and the v experienced members such  as @ Boiler .. are simply trying to reduce “next step” surprises. 

2 hours ago, tortillos said:

Does anyone have any idea how the US citizen can qualify to process the k1 visa, such as how much income requirement is needed, etc?

Other than the income requirement, what else does the US citizen need to submit?

Have you read the guides?

All the info is available on USCIS.gov.  A very wise VJ elder advises folks to become A+ students of the entire immigration process.  Do as much reading as you can, especially if you are the petitioner.  It is not fast, cheap or easy.  Own your process.

Timeline
Posted (edited)

I have come across one or two cases where the K1 has been used as a visitor visa but normally the plan is for the K1 to stay here.

Edited by Boiler

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have come across one or two cases where the K1 has been used as a visitor visa but normally the plan is for the K1 to stay here.

That's fair but it takes two seconds to type this from the get go.

100% for K1, BUT expect that increase to 125% for AOS, so aim for that

Was that so hard

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Timeline
5 hours ago, hplusj said:

That's fair but it takes two seconds to type this from the get go.

100% for K1, BUT expect that increase to 125% for AOS, so aim for that

Was that so hard

I self sponsored my K1 so that would not be correct.

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I self sponsored my K1 so that would not be correct.

Were you the USC?  Can you speak to the OP's situation so they can better understand?

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

cease and desist with poking at other members or the hammer will fall.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
5 hours ago, hplusj said:

Were you the USC?  Can you speak to the OP's situation so they can better understand?

I do not know the OPs situation, so can only respond in general terms.

Obviously the I 134 situation varies significantly by Consulate, now I was able to self sponsor as a beneficiary, would not make sense otherwise?, so I focus on the I 864 requirements as I have seen a few K1s arrive and then seem to have issue at the most important stage, adjustment.

I believe London is the only Consulate that allows self sponsorship, I have no reason to assume OP is going through London.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Posted (edited)
Fee type Cost
K-1 visa petition (Form I-129F) $675
U.S. State Department processing (Form DS-160) $265
Medical examination *Varies
Adjustment of status form (Form I-485)

$1440

if doing the AP for advanced parole I-131 $630 if done by paper

Income needed for K1 if only 2 (remember to count all kids living and not living with u but u support

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p   poverty guidelines

left column K1 100% and right is 125% for AOS after marriage

2 $20,440  $25,550 

forgot to add ROC to remove conditions on 2 year green card so add that

Add all this and traveling expenses

it is not fast, easy or cheap

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
14 hours ago, hplusj said:

It's always better to aim for at least the 125% regardless because a) that is what they will need for AOS anyway b) some consulates are more strict than others about income requirements and c) it's always at the discretion of the CO, so taking a "better safe than sorry" approach is recommended. 

Lastly, outside of immigration and from a practical standpoint...it would be extremely difficult to support 2 people in the US on an income that is at 100% of the poverty guidelines. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking it is not advisable (even more so now that fees have increased for AOS/ROC/etc.)

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.