Madyy12

H1b lottery visa

17 posts in this topic

Hello

My fiance got selected in the H1b lottery.

He has hired a lawyer and is going ahead with the process.

He has a finance background. 

My question is since he got a lottery in IT and is a finance person, how will his interview be like?

Also do people easily get a job in finance in the US?

Also since we are engaged and not married at the moment, do we need to be married for me to get a H1b spouse visa?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Madiha Aftab said:

Hello

My question is since he got a lottery in IT and is a finance person, how will his interview be like?

Also since we are engaged and not married at the moment, do we need to be married for me to get a H1b spouse visa?

What do you mean do people easily get a job in finance in the US? He must have a job to go to for the visa, and his employer should be supplying the lawyer.  

He'll be asked questions about that job, his education, skills, experience etc. And yes, you must be married if you want to go on a H4.

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are you sure it is a H1b?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

Hello

never heard of a H1b lottery. this can be a scam. do you mean DV lottery?

13 minutes ago, Skyyy said:

never heard of a H1b lottery. this can be a scam. do you mean DV lottery?

Well there is a numerical limit of H1B visas per year and the USCIS does decide in a lottery which companies will get the numbers. Not the same as DV lottery.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

So it's definitely H1b lottery.

Will I get an H4 dependant visa? Can I work in states on that visa?

Also once the embassy stamps his documents and he gets the visa,is there a timeliness to enter States, or he can search jobs from his country online, secure one and then go to states

5 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

Also once the embassy stamps his documents and he gets the visa,is there a timeliness to enter States, or he can search jobs from his country online, secure one and then go to states

No, you can’t work on that visa. 

I’m confused by your question about him searching for jobs - surely he already has one? He will work for the employer that has petitioned for him. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

No job offer, no H1b visa. No H4 visa. How did he enter the lottery without an employer? Something fishing is going on.

Edited by nastra30

Timeline
12 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

No job offer, no H1b visa. No H4 visa. How did he enter the lottery without an employer? Something fishing is going on.

*Something fishy is going on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

Hello

The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101, that allows U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. A specialty occupation requires the application of specialized knowledge and a bachelor's degree or the equivalent of work experience. 

by definition he would already have job offer 

u would not have been listed as wife on the petition as not married 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

Either someone is scamming your fiancé or he's not telling you the truth.

Like the others have said there is zero chance he'd get an H1B visa without an existing job offer. If he applied for a visa through some sort of agency or other middleman chances are high they're simply scamming him with promises of a visa if he just pays "one more urgent handling fee" or something along those lines.

19 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

That is not how that works.  If he doesn't already have a job, no visa.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Madiha Aftab said:

He got a job in an IT company  but he wants to switch back to finance.

I'm super new to all of this.

Once he gets his H1b can he switch to a finance job, or will the company cancel his visa?

Tell your husband to join and ask the questions because your narrative keeps changing.

So a USA IT company petitioned your husband for H1B visa (via lottery) for an IT job even though he knows nothing about IT? Is this correct? If so, this continues to smell of fraud. What's the name of this IT company?

5 hours ago, Madiha Aftab said:

He got a job in an IT company  but he wants to switch back to finance.

I'm super new to all of this.

Once he gets his H1b can he switch to a finance job, or will the company cancel his visa?

I agree with the above, this is sounding very odd. There's no just no way any genuine company is going to spend $5000+ on sponsoring his H1B if he doesn't have any relevant experience for the role. It sounds like one of the dodgy 'visa agencies' that you get that conjure up fake jobs for visas. 

He's not likely to get the visa anyway if he doesn't qualify for the job, I'd suggest you investigate it further with him and ask him if he's had to pay a penny for this job offer or visa - he shouldn't have done. If it turns out to be a dodgy 'agency' or job offer, cancel the application asap so he doesn't have a refusal or worse on his immigration record. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.