SteveLaura

Biggest poll EVER!

Could this become the biggest poll EVER?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this poll reach astronomical numbers?

• Yes, I wanna be a part of VJ history!
    • No, I don't care... Oh, bollocks!
  2. 2. Will you continually bump this thread, risking the annoyance of fellow members?

• Absolutely! Anything to piss people off, me!
    • No, I have paint I need to watch dry first.
  3. 3. Any questions?

• Why?
    • Are you here legally?
    • Do you, in all honestly, have a life?
    • What's the capital of Tonga?
    • Got any more of that good ###### yer smokin'?
    • If a train leaves Chicago at 8.05am, travelling at 35mph...
    • What exactly IS the definition of irony?
    • How much wood would a woodchuck chuck...?
    • Did the straitjacket slip off again?
    • Is this what happens when you give Liberals too much damn free speech?
    • What's the best that you can do if you get caught between the moon and NYC?
    • Where's my doughnut?

3,034 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
kreppel.jpg

Those are the ones we have, but only for carneval. They are usually filled with raspberry or apricot jam.

Your grandma's history sounds very interesting!

lol.. those look like doughnuts .... we have something very similar to that....

the ones my grandma made were more like fritters i guess... not sure why they were called cookies when they were more like doughnuts....

they looked kind of like this..

apple-fritters-sl-258598-l.jpg

yeah my grandma's history was prolly very interesting but she rarely spoke to me.. she had her favourite grandchildren and she made sure we all knew that... :unsure: luckily my mom's parents more then made up for that... my other grandma loved all of her grandchildren equally.. although I was a little above the rest because I was her oldest grandchild ;) but she never held that over her other grandkid's heads ..

oh how about pffernus... my grandma and great aunt would make them at Christmas time and give us a big bag of them... they were this molasses type cookie but it was coated with this hard white icing stuff... we looked forward to them every year....

I have a recipe I make that is somewhat similar.. mom even said mine taste better.. they are her favourite she said... :) mine are just coated with icing sugar.. I have no idea how they got the hard coating on theres.. :unsure: my grandma did give me the recipe for them but it was in German and from what my dad could translate on it it didn't even sound like the right recipe :(

sorry I have all these childhood memories of my grandma's cooking coming back to me ...lol

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

I think Pfeffernuss is some kind of gingerbread cookie. The hard icing is just made from icing sugar mixed with a little bit of lemon juice, I would guess. I must admit, I have never tried them. Ok, I just googled it :PPfeffernüsse

What other things did she make? I enjoy being reminded of all those traditional German things!

Shame that she was not able to love all her grandchildren equally :angry: Well, on the other hand, I really didn't like my Dad's Mom (the one who made the Strudel and Buchteln) and always told her that I liked Mom's Mom waaaaaaay better. Kids can be so mean! She was a good woman though, she was Oscar Schindler's secretary for while (they grew up in the same city, Zwittau) and she had a few Jewish couples stay with her in her house after they were "rescued". She passed away 1994 and I never even had the chance to say good bye (also, her passing away did not touch me at all - not big an Dad's family, as you can tell).

Timeline

i never told my grandma that I liked the other grandma best... :lol:

she made this really yummy caramel type pudding every Christmas... mm, can't think of anything else right now...

I didn't get to tell neither of my grandmas goodbye... well, with this one it really wouldn't have mattered because she had gone senile in the end.. I saw her once a few years before she died and she didn't really remember me.. she said she remembered my parents having me but she didn't know me or something like that... :unsure:

my other grandma i didn't know she had died until the day of her funeral when I got an email from my sister-in-law where she said "oh by the way your grandma died last Thursday and the funeral is today (Monday)" :o I was so mad and upset.. she was my favourite grandma ..

later on I found out that my grandma had called my parents and told them to come down because she knew she was dying (she had kidney failure in both kidneys) so they got there about a week or two before she actually died.. my mom was in a tizzy because this was her mom and she told my sister -in-law to contact me... my parents did try calling me and sending me an email when they got to where my grandma was (she lived about 1000 miles from them) but nothing went through... I was like it took my sis-in-law over 2 weeks to contact me.. she said she didn't have my number and they had no internet at home etc... but she could have found someway to contact me in 2 weeks... :blink: anyways, I was ticked.and very upset that I hadn't got the chance to say goodbye to my grandma.....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Oh dear, what a sad story! I would have been so upset!! There is just no excuse for that!! :angry:

nope there isn't.... if I had news like that I would have done everything in my power to get the news to the person...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

sad

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

boo

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

amen to that

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

krispy kreme!!

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

krispy kreme!!

Just got a dozen last night on our way home. It makes me wonder, is it only here in Springfield, MO where Krispy Kreme gives free taste the moment you stepped in or is it everywhere?

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline

been to Krispy Kreme once and I don't see what the big deal about it is...

there is this Chinese Fast food place around here that has the best donuts I have ever tasted :thumbs: this place sells, Chinese food, fried chicken, burgers and donuts... I have tried the Chinese food and the donuts and both of them rock :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

krispy kreme ftw ! :dance:

krispy_kreme.jpg

u can't resist the smell when they're baking fresh doughnuts.. yum.. u have to stop and get a dozen lolol

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unfortunately, the reply we had from Krispy Kremes asking whether they would be willing to sponsor this thread was... impossible, shall we say. (Dean pulled a muscle trying.) Instead, The Biggest Poll EVER is pleased to introduce our new sponsors: Mr. Porky's Bacon Donuts!

20070827bacondonut.jpg

Hmm, yummy!

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones