Jonny777

Email from NVC with K1-FTP number. What's next?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all! 

I (petitioner) received notice of action with receipt number and A number with notice date of 4/10/2024 with validity from 4/10/2024 to 8/9/2024. What is this validity date for? The NOA2 Letter says petition has been approved and sent the visa petition to the NVC. It says I will be notified by mail with unique case number. I never got a physicals mail but received an email on 5/7/2024 from the NVC with an attached word doc.

In the word file the title shows K1-FTP and reads "The National Visa Center (NVC) received your fiancé (e)’s/spouse’s approved I-129F petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC will now forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Please note that the transfer process can take several weeks. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will contact your fiancé (e)/spouse when they are ready to process his or her petition." 

What are my next steps? 

I am in the process filling out the I-134 and my fiance is filling out the DS-160 but won't submit yet. Are we supposed to wait until the US Embassy or Consulate to contact my fiance before she fills out DS-160, schedule medicals, etc? Or is she suppose to complete the DS-160 and wait for email from consulate? 

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Officially, you do nothing until the embassy contacts you. No reason to be rushing to file documents that takes a day to do weeks in advance when they haven't asked you to do so yet. To get a good idea how long the wait will be, you should visit forums related to your country. Many countries are different. It's going to take atleast a month or more for them to process it and ship it and for the embassy to receive it for many countries. And on top of that, the embassy has to go over it and then contact you when they are ready for you to start the process.

If anything, the best thing to do is research how to get the police certificate and birth certificate (and divorce, death certificate from past relationship and proof of being able to be married if your country does that) and if there's any special requirements for them. Like in our country, the requirements had to be that the documents couldn't be more than 3 months old. And also, get any documents saying you have vaccines before or they will make you take vaccines you may have already had for the medical exam.

I would add, if the wait seems unusually long, i would contact NVC just to keep in contact. And if they say they sent it, I would contact the embassy too if it's unusually long just to keep on contact.

Edited by happyscrub

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Jonny777 said:

What is this validity date for?

Approved I-129fs are valid for 4 months.  The consulate can (and normally does) extend them in 4 month increments up to a year.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jonny777 said:

Basically it is not in my control and if 4 months pass, they will extend it. 

They will likely extend it themselves.  You can contact them and ask them to extend if you like.  The only real control of validity you have is if you want to withdraw the petition. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.