OHeyItsRick

Receiving Mail In The US Prior To Green Card

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Y'all,

So, super quick question - I'm now residing in the States (due to get married here soon!!) and am just wondering; does anyone know how I'd go about receiving mail at my new address? Like... do I need to register as being a resident here to get my mail (if I'm having mail addressed to me sent here), or what's the standard operating procedure? Do I need to have my green card before I'm classified as living here?

Any input would be appreciated!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Receiving mail has nothing to do with immigration status.

Okay? Cool. Is there a process I need to follow in order to receive my mail at my new address then (bearing in mind, I've immigrated here from the UK), or does it just kinda turn up??

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OHeyItsRick said:

Okay? Cool. Is there a process I need to follow in order to receive my mail at my new address then (bearing in mind, I've immigrated here from the UK), or does it just kinda turn up??

You just give address to a sender and they send you mail.

I think I'm starting to understand your question... You wonder how to become a resident and get a green card? It's not automatic. How did you enter? How long ago? Were you on visa (which one) or Esta?

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

do you mean to have the mail you would be receiving in the UK sent to your new address in the US?

If that is the case you would need to inquire with the UK postal system to set a forwarding address to your new address in the US.

That is how it works here if you are just moving addresses (contacting the US postal system to set up a forwarding address), so i am not sure if that would be the same processes as the UK

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

do you mean to have the mail you would be receiving in the UK sent to your new address in the US?

If that is the case you would need to inquire with the UK postal system to set a forwarding address to your new address in the US.

That is how it works here if you are just moving addresses (contacting the US postal system to set up a forwarding address), so i am not sure if that would be the same processes as the UK

I don't believe UK would forward mail to another country... This would be too expensive to implement.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
26 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

In part, yes, and you're right - I would need to set up a forwarding address with the UK postal service (which you can do, at a cost).

What I meant was more: do I need to inform anyone in the US of my residency at my new address in order to receive mail in my name at my new address. Or is it simply a case of I provide whoever with my address and it just turns up. 

Like, do I need to contact USPS and inform them of my residency here, or.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

ahh ok
no you shouldn't need to inform USPS of your residency.

it is just simply if you give someone your name and address it will show up.

technically someone could send something to an address without a name on it at all, and it will still show up to that address.

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Timeline
1 minute ago, MalloryCat said:

ahh ok
no you shouldn't need to inform USPS of your residency.

it is just simply if you give someone your name and address it will show up.

technically someone could send something to an address without a name on it at all, and it will still show up to that address.

Awesome. That was literally all I needed to know. Thank you!

One thing I learned about mail delivery in the US is that some mail carriers take their job very seriously and compare the name on the piece of mail to the name that is listed inside the mailbox they are delivering to. I have had mail returned to sender because it was addressed to my maiden name instead of my married name (which was the only name on the note inside our mailbox). We easily resolved that by just adding my maiden name to the note, but I believe that there is also a more official way to do that, with a form.

Our current mail delivery person is not as strict as the previous one; we now receive tons of mail for previous residents, so the name is not checked at the moment. It just really depends on who delivers your mail. To be safe, I would make sure your last name is listed in the mailbox.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you entered the US on an immigrant visa and provided USCIS with one address and then move, you are responsible to inform them within 10 days of moving by filing AR-11.  

For the UK - different kettle of fish that's been addressed already.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
3 hours ago, OHeyItsRick said:

Awesome. That was literally all I needed to know. Thank you!

Also to note, if you and your spouse are in a rental, you may want to make sure you're added to the lease so that your name is displayed on the mailbox.  I know, seems rather specific but many USPS workers will not leave mail in a box without the matching name on it.  All depends on where you live.

As a homeowner, this is not something of any concern.  Just wanted to put this on your radar.

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, OHeyItsRick said:

Hey Y'all,

So, super quick question - I'm now residing in the States (due to get married here soon!!) and am just wondering; does anyone know how I'd go about receiving mail at my new address? Like... do I need to register as being a resident here to get my mail (if I'm having mail addressed to me sent here), or what's the standard operating procedure? Do I need to have my green card before I'm classified as living here?

Any input would be appreciated!!

Did you check with the UK post before coming here ?

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     N-400 Interview   APPROVED  

June 5th, 2024:   OATH DAY:       

June 5th 2024:  My husband became a US Citizen ♥♥   1, 474 New US Citizens sworn in- Houston, Tx. 

The End of a Very long journey! 

looney tunes i might have miss a th in there GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.