Hopeful Dreams

Adjusting status whilst going to USA? (Merged threads)

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. First since you are stuck with your parents, if you have already tried to talk to them about this then there is nothing more you can do to change them. 

While you are trying to get out of the home, do not talk to them about your intentions to get married or leave. Keep your plans private.

If you are not making much money and they take every cent of it. Tell them they will now get nothing as they sold the car that takes you to work and you lost your job. You are under their roof and it will be their way or the highway. So tell them straight up that you're taking the highway. Couch surf if you have to until you can get enough money saved to get your own place and find a better job. 

Sadly there is no way to make this faster or for you to stay in the US until your interview. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

To start with, the K1 process which you have already started will take at least one year before you find out if they approve the application to go to the next steps.  The next steps are also expensive, going to the medical, interview and if approved flying to the US.  Who is going to pay for all those expenses?

In any case the above is what it is for the K1 and as other have mentioned there is no short cutting the process.

Then it seems that you need to find a solution about your financial and home situation to wait out the process of the k1 visa, but those solutions are in your hands, while you will get much advice here at then end it will be up to you and your sponsor to find a solution to that situation.

Good luck.

Considering how early you are in the long process, maybe getting married now and going the CR-1 route would be better. It won't necessarily get you into the country sooner, but it will get you in with a green card rather than another long process for that (and being in limbo for a year, unable to leave the country or work, etc.). Note that if you do this, it will void your pending K-1 application, though, and you'd then have to file a new CR-1 from scratch. Can't convert one to the other.

14 hours ago, Hopeful Dreams said:

I have an ESTA, but I thought you can't reside there whilst we wait for the approval? How would I go about doing that? They are more than capable in supporting me 😕 

Yes you are right but the issue is they don't want me to get a new job, they are trying to force me out of my current one to just stay at home and follow their demands.. So If I do try to get a new job they want me out of the house there and then :( its really complicated

You cannot reside in the US on ESTA.

How old are you?   You stated that you’re adults, but if so, how are your parents able to so closely control your life like this?   Maybe it is time to look for better/full time employment and a more independent living situation?

22 hours ago, Hopeful Dreams said:

we then decided to go ahead with the marriage visa process as we both have decided that we would love to be with each other for the rest of our lives...

FYI K1 visa is fiance visa.  Marriage visa is CR1.  As someone stated above CR1 is typically better/faster/cheaper (though speed is about the same for both).  But be clear which path you are taking before you start it, as it is a long road (~2 years).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, Hopeful Dreams said:

If I ever try to talk back or say anything I'm told to get out of the house right now.

I would take their advice, take your money and get out now.

• 4 weeks later...

So my situation has gotten even worse, parents have taken my passport, money, other issues and have overall denied me being with my partner from the USA they are giving me 2 weeks to get out of the house.. I have filed for the K1 Visa with my partner but is there any way I can just go to the USA now and then get married to my partner and adjust status that way?

I know this isn't supposed to be done, but with no money, a job paying barely anything and the situation I'm in at home would I not be able to talk to someone after trying to do this and explain the situation that lead to this? That I did try to go through the correct route but under pressure I had no other option?

I am being forced into marriage too, they take everything I earn, withhold important things I have, abuse me physically... 

There's a lot to get into..

But can I not do this? I know It's not looked good upon, but I really have no choice :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I really feel for your situation. Unfortunately, nobody here would condone that path, as it is expressly against the law (as you have acknowledged yourself) and it goes against VJ TOS to give any advice that would not be a legal option. Also, for what it's worth, there's a lot that could go wrong with that plan that would just land you back at home, and even potentially with a ban from entering the US at all, or at the very least with your current K1 now under more intense scrutiny.

Rather than focusing on marriage as a way out of your situation, I would really encourage you to look into whatever community resources are available to you in your area of the world. Domestic violence shelters, etc, to get you away from your parents and on your feet independently, first. There is no quick way out of your situation that is legal and involves immigration to the United States.

If you fill out your timeline, or at least tell us what embassy, others may be able to tell you how much longer you have to wait in the K1 process, or even point you toward resources available in your country.

I'm very sorry for everything you're going through. It sounds extremely hard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

your post in March/April advised that u can not do this 

you have to wait out the K1 process 

reading all posts , u call her your gf/wife

if gf, then K1

if u married while in US, u should have applied CR1 as you indicated u would do

you were also advised to take your money and get out /even to hunt for better job / you didn't and now they have your passport

As Daphne said "time to put on your big boy pants and take control of your life"

there is nothing VJ can do about your homelife  and i am very sorry u go thru this but I asked WHY parents do not approve?   it is important 

are their issues  pertinent?

Are their issues any of immigration red flag issues? As that could come up in an interview

what are your ages?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

your post in March/April advised that u can not do this 

you have to wait out the K1 process 

reading all posts , u call her your gf/wife

if gf, then K1

if u married while in US, u should have applied CR1 as you indicated u would do

you were also advised to take your money and get out /even to hunt for better job / you didn't and now they have your passport

As Daphne said "time to put on your big boy pants and take control of your life"

there is nothing VJ can do about your homelife  and i am very sorry u go thru this but I asked WHY parents do not approve?   it is important 

are their issues  pertinent?

Are their issues any of immigration red flag issues? As that could come up in an interview

what are your ages?

Yes I know to the above, but It's not that easy and I have been job hunting no luck...

Advised to take my money and get out? How?

Being abused and controlled my finances are taken as it is.. I have tried to sort this out hence why I'm posting this again hoping that it could work out.

My parents don't approve because they want someone from our culture and religion etc.. Not the girl I want to be with

Yes she is my girlfriend currently we are not married yet

We're in our mid 20s

Edited by Hopeful Dreams

25 minutes ago, alliejourney said:

I really feel for your situation. Unfortunately, nobody here would condone that path, as it is expressly against the law (as you have acknowledged yourself) and it goes against VJ TOS to give any advice that would not be a legal option. Also, for what it's worth, there's a lot that could go wrong with that plan that would just land you back at home, and even potentially with a ban from entering the US at all, or at the very least with your current K1 now under more intense scrutiny.

Rather than focusing on marriage as a way out of your situation, I would really encourage you to look into whatever community resources are available to you in your area of the world. Domestic violence shelters, etc, to get you away from your parents and on your feet independently, first. There is no quick way out of your situation that is legal and involves immigration to the United States.

If you fill out your timeline, or at least tell us what embassy, others may be able to tell you how much longer you have to wait in the K1 process, or even point you toward resources available in your country.

I'm very sorry for everything you're going through. It sounds extremely hard.

I'm looking at about a year still so It's not ideal at all

I have been looking into things locally there really is nothing available to me that's why I'm under so much pressure and with no money at all It's even worse.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I must admit it sounded more like you are 16, you are not going anywhere without a Passport.

You mentioned access to the VWP so you are obviously from a Country where you can take control of your life.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

*** @Hopeful DreamsSimilar threads merged to one topic.  Please keep the conversation under this thread***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.