Korede Temi

Questions About K1 Visa Process: Documents, Paystubs, and Interview Preparation

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello,

I am the beneficiary of a K1 visa, and my NVC status currently says ‘in transit’ to the embassy in Helsinki. I have already completed my DS-160 form and am about to book my medical appointment. I am also in the process of gathering my criminal records. I have a few questions:

1.    Petitioner’s Paystubs: Does my petitioner’s paystubs need to reflect a salary that is close to the interview date?
    2.    Visa Appointment: Can I book my visa appointment now? What other fees should I expect to pay moving forward with this application?
    3.    Required Documents: I know I need to fill out the I-134, and take my passport and photos to the interview. What other documents are required?
    4.    NOA1 Approval: My fiancé does not have a second copy of the I-129F filed, and her NOA1 approval only came via text message, not by mail. Is it possible for me to scan the text message?
    5.    K-FTP Letter: Do I need to present my K-FTP letter at the appointment? What other documents or items will I need to bring?
    6.    Income Standard: What is the standard for showing income?

Thank you for your assistance!

Feel free to adjust any details if necessary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

1. Pay stubs just need to be whatever is the most recent at the time. I believe I sent 3 months worth of pay stubs (when I sent them to my fiance was back in march/april, his interview isn't until july)

2. It depends on the embassy. Some embassy's want you to wait until you receive packet 3 from them before scheduling your interview (i.e. with Frankfurt we had to wait until we received packet 3)

3. This information will be included in packet 3. Which will come from the embassy. But as you said the CEAC site still shows as it is in transit. Once the embassy receives it and the status changes to "Ready" that is when they will more than likely mail you packet 3. But more than likely you will need police certificates (original + 1 copy) from all places lived since 16, birth certificate (original + 1 copy), any divorce papers from previous marriages (if any/original + 1 copy), evidence of relationship (ive heard some officers dont really ask for this, but better to have it and not need it), 2 US standard passport photos, passport, printed out DS-160 confirmation page, I-134 (including supporting evidence for USC financials) and sealed medical examination (most of the time this just gets sent directly to the embassy from the doctor, but depends on the doctor.)

4. Not sure if it will be the same as for us, but we received a copy of our original I-129f in the packet 3 we received from the embassy. But you shouldn't need the NOA1 as that was just a notification that USCIS received the petition in the first place. the NOA2 is the actual approval notification. But you shouldn't really need that either as the embassy already knows that your I-129f was approved because they have it.

5. No you shouldn't need to bring that letter. as that was just a notice that the NVC received the petition from USCIS and will be forwarding it to your selected embassy. That letter is just for your records so you know where your petition was in the process.

6. The evidence (or standard to show income) that the I-134 prefers is, 3 years worth of tax return transcripts (which the USC can get for free from the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript)), W-2s from current employer, pay stubs, signed letter from employer (letter should include start date, job title, salary (or hourly wage if paid that way), employment status (temporary or permanent, full time or part time)), and/or a signed letter from the USC's bank for all existing accounts (checking and savings) (letter should include date account opened, total amount deposited for the last year, and current balance) *personally I think the letter from the bank isn't as good of evidence since the amount in a bank account is always changing and theres no guarantee that it will always have that amount. Most people do fine with the letter from the employer and the tax return transcripts. But the tax returns  transcripts are by far the most important evidence.

hopefully that helps and makes sense!

I-129f/K-1 Visa

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Timeline
4 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

1. Pay stubs just need to be whatever is the most recent at the time. I believe I sent 3 months worth of pay stubs (when I sent them to my fiance was back in march/april, his interview isn't until july)

2. It depends on the embassy. Some embassy's want you to wait until you receive packet 3 from them before scheduling your interview (i.e. with Frankfurt we had to wait until we received packet 3)

3. This information will be included in packet 3. Which will come from the embassy. But as you said the CEAC site still shows as it is in transit. Once the embassy receives it and the status changes to "Ready" that is when they will more than likely mail you packet 3. But more than likely you will need police certificates (original + 1 copy) from all places lived since 16, birth certificate (original + 1 copy), any divorce papers from previous marriages (if any/original + 1 copy), evidence of relationship (ive heard some officers dont really ask for this, but better to have it and not need it), 2 US standard passport photos, passport, printed out DS-160 confirmation page, I-134 (including supporting evidence for USC financials) and sealed medical examination (most of the time this just gets sent directly to the embassy from the doctor, but depends on the doctor.)

4. Not sure if it will be the same as for us, but we received a copy of our original I-129f in the packet 3 we received from the embassy. But you shouldn't need the NOA1 as that was just a notification that USCIS received the petition in the first place. the NOA2 is the actual approval notification. But you shouldn't really need that either as the embassy already knows that your I-129f was approved because they have it.

5. No you shouldn't need to bring that letter. as that was just a notice that the NVC received the petition from USCIS and will be forwarding it to your selected embassy. That letter is just for your records so you know where your petition was in the process.

6. The evidence (or standard to show income) that the I-134 prefers is, 3 years worth of tax return transcripts (which the USC can get for free from the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript)), W-2s from current employer, pay stubs, signed letter from employer (letter should include start date, job title, salary (or hourly wage if paid that way), employment status (temporary or permanent, full time or part time)), and/or a signed letter from the USC's bank for all existing accounts (checking and savings) (letter should include date account opened, total amount deposited for the last year, and current balance) *personally I think the letter from the bank isn't as good of evidence since the amount in a bank account is always changing and theres no guarantee that it will always have that amount. Most people do fine with the letter from the employer and the tax return transcripts. But the tax returns  transcripts are by far the most important evidence.

hopefully that helps and makes sense!

Thank you so much for this response. I appreciate it. How do I know if my embassy requires me to wait for the packet before we schedule the appointment? 

thank you again. I appreciate your response. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Korede Temi said:

Thank you so much for this response. I appreciate it. How do I know if my embassy requires me to wait for the packet before we schedule the appointment? 

thank you again. I appreciate your response. 

most embassies use ustraveldocs for all of their visa processes

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/fi/fi-iv-typek.asp

here is the site for Finland. this is a direct link for the K-1 visa.

under where it says "Scheduling the interview date"

"Once the U.S. Embassy Helsinki receives the approved petition from NVC, the Immigrant Visa Section will send a letter with the instructions on preparing for the visa interview to the applicant.

Note: Do not schedule your interview date until you receive these instructions. If you do not receive the instructions from the US Embassy within two months after the notification from NVC about the transferring of your case to Helsinki, you have to send an inquiry about the status of your case directly to the Consular Section of the US Embassy Helsinki . Please be advised that you might have submit a new petition if you do not schedule an interview within four months of petition approval."

I-129f/K-1 Visa

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

most embassies use ustraveldocs for all of their visa processes

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/fi/fi-iv-typek.asp

here is the site for Finland. this is a direct link for the K-1 visa.

under where it says "Scheduling the interview date"

"Once the U.S. Embassy Helsinki receives the approved petition from NVC, the Immigrant Visa Section will send a letter with the instructions on preparing for the visa interview to the applicant.

Note: Do not schedule your interview date until you receive these instructions. If you do not receive the instructions from the US Embassy within two months after the notification from NVC about the transferring of your case to Helsinki, you have to send an inquiry about the status of your case directly to the Consular Section of the US Embassy Helsinki . Please be advised that you might have submit a new petition if you do not schedule an interview within four months of petition approval."

Thank you again. I really appreciate it. Even when my case turn ‘ready’. I have to wait for the packet to be sent my address? Is it possible that the packet will always be sent by email rather than to my address? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Korede Temi said:

Even when my case turn ‘ready’. I have to wait for the packet to be sent my address? Is it possible that the packet will always be sent by email rather than to my address? 

Yes, even when status updates to "ready" you have to wait for the packet.

From my understanding most embassies will always send packet 3 through the mail. Like with the packet 3 my fiance received, it including a copy of our approved I-129f, which would have been a lot to send over email. But some people do receive packet 3 through email. (i.e someone on this forum also going through the Frankfurt embassy got theirs in their email because their packet 3 never made it to them in the mail). Like the USTravelDocs site said, if you haven't received the instruction letter within 2 months of the NVC forwarding your case to the embassy in Helsinki, then you can submit an inquiry to them (the embassy)  and they will more than likely email you the packet 3 instructions/letter.

unfortunately the transferring between the NVC and the embassy is just more waiting lol. But it's a good time to start gathering those documents

I-129f/K-1 Visa

Timeline
28 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

Yes, even when status updates to "ready" you have to wait for the packet.

From my understanding most embassies will always send packet 3 through the mail. Like with the packet 3 my fiance received, it including a copy of our approved I-129f, which would have been a lot to send over email. But some people do receive packet 3 through email. (i.e someone on this forum also going through the Frankfurt embassy got theirs in their email because their packet 3 never made it to them in the mail). Like the USTravelDocs site said, if you haven't received the instruction letter within 2 months of the NVC forwarding your case to the embassy in Helsinki, then you can submit an inquiry to them (the embassy)  and they will more than likely email you the packet 3 instructions/letter.

unfortunately the transferring between the NVC and the embassy is just more waiting lol. But it's a good time to start gathering those documents

Thank you for the explanation. My I-129F was approved in 5 months and my NVC status changed to in transit within two weeks, so I hope the rest of the process will be fast and smooth. I already scheduled my medical exam, does this make sense?

thank you so much. I really appreciate it.  

Timeline

you shouldn't have too difficult of a time honestly, especially if you don't have a complicated case.

that does make sense. but not sure if you're aware or not but you do have to be in the US within 6 months of your medical exam. So hopefully you can schedule your interview not too long after you have your medical exam.

youre welcome. good luck!

I-129f/K-1 Visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Korede Temi said:

Hello,

I am the beneficiary of a K1 visa, and my NVC status currently says ‘in transit’ to the embassy in Helsinki. I have already completed my DS-160 form and am about to book my medical appointment. I am also in the process of gathering my criminal records. I have a few questions:

1.    Petitioner’s Paystubs: Does my petitioner’s paystubs need to reflect a salary that is close to the interview date?
    2.    Visa Appointment: Can I book my visa appointment now? What other fees should I expect to pay moving forward with this application?
    3.    Required Documents: I know I need to fill out the I-134, and take my passport and photos to the interview. What other documents are required?
    4.    NOA1 Approval: My fiancé does not have a second copy of the I-129F filed, and her NOA1 approval only came via text message, not by mail. Is it possible for me to scan the text message?
    5.    K-FTP Letter: Do I need to present my K-FTP letter at the appointment? What other documents or items will I need to bring?
    6.    Income Standard: What is the standard for showing income?

Thank you for your assistance!

Feel free to adjust any details if necessary.

1. Why are they using pay stubs? Only use pay stubs if your taxes of last year are not enough but you want prove you can make it for the current year. Am I assume some embassies will still ask for transcript. Transcript is the best evidence.
2. You will pay $265 dollars at the embassy and whatever your embassy doctor charges.

3. You will get a packet telling you everything you need, and possibily with special instructions. Like the country we did ours required the documents be less than 3 months old. The govt has a website stating country requirements, but my WIFI is too weak for me to go finding it. But it will be police report and birth certificate for sure. And proof of divorce and probably death certificate of dead husband/wife

4. The NOA1 Approval is meaningless after NVC takes over. Your case will be using a whole different number. The DS-160 conformation page it's more important and needed

5. Probably not, but just wait for your instructions. 

6. IRS transcripts

Edited by happyscrub

On 5/24/2024 at 7:42 AM, happyscrub said:

1. Why are they using pay stubs? Only use pay stubs if your taxes of last year are not enough but you want prove you can make it for the current year. Am I assume some embassies will still ask for transcript. Transcript is the best evidence.

Tax returns are not evidence of current income. They’re evidence of past income. E.g. I could have made 200k last year which would be reflected on my most recent tax return but now I’m unemployed making $0. Evidence of current income are indeed pay stubs and employment letter. Now they may not be asked for at the interview but I would sure bring them. They took tax transcripts, pay stubs and an employment letter at my interview.

On 5/24/2024 at 1:46 AM, Korede Temi said:

I know I need to fill out the I-134

The US citizen will need to fill the form out and you would take it to the interview. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Tax returns are not evidence of current income. They’re evidence of past income. E.g. I could have made 200k last year which would be reflected on my most recent tax return but now I’m unemployed making $0. Evidence of current income are indeed pay stubs and employment letter. Now they may not be asked for at the interview but I would sure bring them. They took tax transcripts, pay stubs and an employment letter at my interview.

The US citizen will need to fill the form out and you would take it to the interview. 

I didn't say tax returns, I said tax transcripts. And tax transcripts are better evidence than anything else you can show because it shows what you made in a year's time and is evidence provided by the IRS, a government institution. And it shows how much you actually made in a year after any tax deductions. And it's a document that consulars are trained to look at and is easily looked at. Focusing on paystubs is bad advice unless someone didn't earn enough income in the previous year. And it's just going to open you up to more scrutiny. It just sounds sketchy too.

1 minute ago, happyscrub said:

I didn't say tax returns, I said tax transcripts. And tax transcripts are better evidence than anything else you can show because it shows what you made in a year's time and is evidence provided by the IRS, a government institution. And it shows how much you actually made in a year after any tax deductions. And it's a document that consulars are trained to look at and is easily looked at. Focusing on paystubs is bad advice unless someone didn't earn enough income in the previous year. And it's just going to open you up to more scrutiny. It just sounds sketchy too.

Tax returns/tax transcripts- same thing and my point still stands. It’s evidence of past income and not current. 

2 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

Focusing on paystubs is bad advice unless someone didn't earn enough income in the previous year. And it's just going to open you up to more scrutiny. It just sounds sketchy too.

That’s just false unless you’re trying to hide the fact that you’re now unemployed or making much less than what is reflected on tax return/tax transcripts.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Tax returns/tax transcripts- same thing and my point still stands. It’s evidence of past income and not current. 

That’s just false unless you’re trying to hide the fact that you’re now unemployed or making much less than what is reflected on tax return/tax transcripts.

Evidence of past income is evidence of current income. Hell, in your view, your paystubs is past income. It's income you made months or weeks ago.
If what you think its true, you would find tons of people who only used their transcripts (which is recommended) and getting a 221g to show proof of paystubs. I doubt you would but I bet you would find it so the other way around.

It's just flat-out bad advice and also a ton of unnecessary work when all is required is a quick download from the IRS

6 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

Evidence of past income is evidence of current income. Hell, in your view, your paystubs is past income. It's income you made months or weeks ago.

A pay stub from a few days ago in combination with an employment letter that was signed also a few days ago is literally the definition of current income and sure is a better indicator of current than what you made last year.

Again, unless you’re trying to HIDE the fact that you’re no longer employed or making much less, how is this bad advice? And what if the officer straight up asks you what’s your petitioners salary, you’re gonna go off of what they made last year on their tax transcripts even though it might be different from now? That’s just lying and fraud. 

6 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

getting a 221g to show proof of paystubs

I’d rather avoid unnecessary delays. And again, I had to hand in tax transcripts, employment letter and pay stubs. I picked up my visa the very next day. Your advice would have caused me a delay of who knows how long. For example, at Montreal consulate this would have resulted in a 6-8 week delay. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.