DinaBill

It's 2024.. Why are we sending in paper?

26 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, powerpuff said:

The problem with current online USCIS forms is that there are a lot of glitches, some of which have caused delays of a year or more. Due to seeing this, I’m not so opposed to paper.

Right!   Like the now widespread glitch that caused extra I-824 fees and added a year to the overall processing time….

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Posted (edited)

As some have alluded to, just wait and see! 

When I got to the naturalization interview, the USCIS rep had a file folder half a foot tall with all the evidence through the years. 

EDIT: The reason for paper copies often comes from redundancy and backup. For example, if for some reason servers crashed, and backups were lost (unlikely as this is), a paper copy shows a record of the events that have happened and the forms that have been processed as well as their status. 

Even in the case of a simple internet outage, it can cause problems processing documents if they are digital and in the cloud.

Additionally, digital copies can be manipulated after the fact. A printed copy can be important to showcase the value of a document before it is potentially edited (again, not that this would happen). 

Therefore, printing them and having copies remains important for processing files, especially in government-related processes. 

Edited by Peot

You can actually do everything online. I did everything online from filling out their forms, to submitting all documents online via the USCIS website.

You can also check your progress online at the USCIS website.Screenshot_20240522-100713.thumb.png.38948ce4d1dc45333f81058fe940de1e.png

9 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

it can 100% be filled out on the computer, printed, and mailed in.

but the actual signature of the person filing the petition has to be hand written. it can't be typed with like a cursive font to pass off as handwritten is what that statement from USCIS is saying

You can handwrite your signature using Adobe fill and sign function. You use your finger or stylus to sign 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
11 hours ago, Peot said:

As some have alluded to, just wait and see! 

When I got to the naturalization interview, the USCIS rep had a file folder half a foot tall with all the evidence through the years. 

EDIT: The reason for paper copies often comes from redundancy and backup. For example, if for some reason servers crashed, and backups were lost (unlikely as this is), a paper copy shows a record of the events that have happened and the forms that have been processed as well as their status. 

Even in the case of a simple internet outage, it can cause problems processing documents if they are digital and in the cloud.

Additionally, digital copies can be manipulated after the fact. A printed copy can be important to showcase the value of a document before it is potentially edited (again, not that this would happen). 

Therefore, printing them and having copies remains important for processing files, especially in government-related processes. 

In an age where cyberattacks happen quite regularly, with specificity on government processes, in addition to immigration being such a hot topic: yeah I think paper is just fine for now. 😂

Feel bad, plant a tree

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

To be honest, the paper thing doesn't bother me too much. Yes, it's 2024 and I'd rather NOT, but for this reason I didn't mind. Especially considering the DS-160 was online and oh my god it was not user friendly. Kept crashing and kicking me out every 3 minutes. 

What bothered me most about the paper thing though was that I printed an entire packet of "evidence of relationship" which cost me like £25 to print in colour, and they didn't even ask for it at the interview! 

The biggest thing they need to look at in my opinion is actually making an effort to personalise visa journeys - why say we need evidence if we actually only need 4 documents and 1 passport style photo in total? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancée and I looked at doing it the other way with her moving to my country.

The British government does all visa applications online. The process appears to work reasonably well, though fees are very high. (I am not sure that can be blamed on digitalisation.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Larry207 said:

You can actually do everything online. I did everything online from filling out their forms, to submitting all documents online via the USCIS website.

You can also check your progress online at the USCIS website.Screenshot_20240522-100713.thumb.png.38948ce4d1dc45333f81058fe940de1e.png

This topic concerns the I-129f which CANNOT be submitted online.  Please don't confuse the issue.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 5/21/2024 at 7:29 AM, Crazy Cat said:

Just wait.  The I-751 can't be done online, either....and it will require a great deal more paper......a GREAT deal more.  I have found it is best to just jump through the hoops rather than letting them frustrate you.  Good luck on your journey.  It will be quite a ride. 

I was just coming here to say this lol. When you look at the K1 paperwork vs the ROC paperwork, man oh man does the US government just love killing trees. You could likely bludgeon someone with the stack we sent in.

On 5/21/2024 at 2:39 AM, DinaBill said:

Aloha,

Dina and just sent in our I129-F packet. It was an inordinate amount of paper. EVERYTHING we printed was already in digital format residing on Google Drive. Today I read that once a packet is received, it is torn down and scanned. Huh??????  Why did we bust our asses printing everything and making pretty when we could have converted everything to PDFs and submitted everything electronically? So much time wasted. The stupidity of it all astounded me. It also made me a little sad as the packet was a labor of love for Dina and myself. It was our first chance to see how well we worked together.

Mahalo,

Bill and Dina

We recently went through the boxes of our whole case history now that we are finished - converting, digitizing, and shredding what we didn't need. The sheer volume of paper was astounding. As annoying as it all is, there's something nice about the physical copy when you get a chance to hold it and look back on it. As someone that researches ancestry and old immigration records which is sometimes not easy, having a physical link to that past is weirdly satisfying when you reach the end of the journey. Yes our government is inefficient and stupid. But it is what it is.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

This topic concerns the I-129f which CANNOT be submitted online.  Please don't confuse the issue.

I guess this was spam. I received this email in January. That's why I said file online. Don't be so sarcastic next time. No need to capitalize the word "CANNOT" Thank you for your cooperation. Again, this was emailed to me. It must be spam, because you the expert.

Announcement: Effective January 1st, 2024, USCIS is proud to announce the online processing of Form I-129F. This exciting update streamlines the application process, offering greater accessibility and efficiency for applicants. We're committed to enhancing your experience and look forward to serving you through this digital advancement. Visit our website for more information and to begin your application journey today! #USCIS #I129F #OnlineProcessing

Edited by Larry207

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Larry207 said:

I guess this was spam. I received this email in January. That's why I said file online 

Announcement: Effective January 1st, 2024, USCIS is proud to announce the online processing of Form I-129F. This exciting update streamlines the application process, offering greater accessibility and efficiency for applicants. We're committed to enhancing your experience and look forward to serving you through this digital advancement. Visit our website for more information and to begin your application journey today! #USCIS #I129F #OnlineProcessing

Spam...or premature.  The official USCIS I-129f page does not give that option:

Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) | USCIS

The I-129f is also NOT included in the official list of online USCIS forms:

Forms Available to File Online | USCIS

Your example was for your I-130.  No one has ever filed an online I-129F.  Maybe the option will come soon.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.