a-jay13

I-134 Joint Sponsor

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Looking for a little bit of information if possible. 

I have my K1 Visa interview next week (in London, UK) and me and my fiancé are just finalising all the paperwork.

Basically, she had to move back with her parents a couple of years ago to help out due to her dad having advanced Parkinsons. This means that she can only work part time. Her mom has been wonderful about being a joint sponsor, but we're having a small panic about if this is allowed or not. And if it is, how do we do it? Is it just a case of them BOTH filling out an I-134 and me telling them at the embassy next week that it's a joint sponsorship or...?

(for information, we will be staying there for an unknown amount of time to continue to help out since her parents are older and we love them)

Any information would be lovely.

Please and thank you so so much. 

❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

London allows K1s to self sponsor

The big one is the I 864

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't self sponsor at this time, it's just not an option for me at the moment. 

Hopefully someone can answer the question about the joint sponsor though. My fiancé has filled out an i-134 with her info, and her mother (who we will be living with) has also filled one out with her info and a lot of supporting documentation as she's well above the poverty guideline. 

There should be no issue, as the income for my soon to be mother in law is more than enough, but circumstances mean my fiancé can only work part time at the moment. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Personally, with London I think you should be okay. YMMV because I (the USC) have income above the poverty guidelines so I did not need to joint sponsor. However, at my fiance's interview on Tuesday, they asked for just the I-134 form, but he didn't give them any of the evidence. They never asked for it, and his visa has now been issued, so apparently it wasn't a problem. I don't think London weights it very heavily. As Boiler said, just make sure you have it all worked out when it comes time for I-864 at the AOS stage. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edited by alliejourney

Timeline
3 hours ago, alliejourney said:

Personally, with London I think you should be okay. YMMV because I (the USC) have income above the poverty guidelines so I did not need to joint sponsor. However, at my fiance's interview on Tuesday, they asked for just the I-134 form, but he didn't give them any of the evidence. They never asked for it, and his visa has now been issued, so apparently it wasn't a problem. I don't think London weights it very heavily. As Boiler said, just make sure you have it all worked out when it comes time for I-864 at the AOS stage. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you for your reply! 

Yeah, even just with the 2 i-134 forms and no evidence, between my fiancé and her mom, there's more than enough income. Its just a really complicated situation at the moment there because of the health issues her dad is facing so I'm hoping they take that into consideration. 

I will definitely update once it's all done! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, a-jay13 said:

Thank you for your reply! 

Yeah, even just with the 2 i-134 forms and no evidence, between my fiancé and her mom, there's more than enough income. Its just a really complicated situation at the moment there because of the health issues her dad is facing so I'm hoping they take that into consideration. 

I will definitely update once it's all done! 

Understandable - I'd definitely still take the evidence just in case your officer is more concerned with your situation, but I wouldn't stress too much about it!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sort of intrigued how you cannot self sponsor but can afford the K1 process inability to work etc. Seems an odd option.

Anyway hopefully you have the finances sorted out and the joint sponsor is OK for the I 864, the I 134 is meaningless and I doubt London will pay much attention.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I had my interview on Tuesday in London, the same day as the fiance of alliejourney!

I was a bit worried about the I-134 as well. My fiancée is disabled and her income is only slightly above the federal poverty level for a household of three. We got information from the social security administration, her last six months of bank statements and her 1040 tax return. To be on the safe side I got her aunt to be my co-sponsor. Accompanying her I-134 were three months of bank statements and three years of tax returns. I wondered if I should submit a third I-134 detailing the value of a house I am in the process of selling....

Anyway, the interview was short. The consular officer probably thought he had already given me enough reading through all my paperwork.

I am sure you will be fine. If you need any more information they will ask you for it.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Boiler said:

Sort of intrigued how you cannot self sponsor but can afford the K1 process inability to work etc. Seems an odd option.

Anyway hopefully you have the finances sorted out and the joint sponsor is OK for the I 864, the I 134 is meaningless and I doubt London will pay much attention.

If this part of the process came through late last year, it would not have been a problem. But I had to give up work because my best friend was dying of brain cancer and i was looking after his 5 year old child. I have only just managed to get back to work full time but my savings ran dry. This year has not been easy and believe me, the fact I cannot self self sponsor is a gut punch. So... hope that helps your intrigue. 

And thanks, I keep hearing about the I 864 being the important one. We'll be fine for that one!

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lee Thacket said:

I had my interview on Tuesday in London, the same day as the fiance of alliejourney!

I was a bit worried about the I-134 as well. My fiancée is disabled and her income is only slightly above the federal poverty level for a household of three. We got information from the social security administration, her last six months of bank statements and her 1040 tax return. To be on the safe side I got her aunt to be my co-sponsor. Accompanying her I-134 were three months of bank statements and three years of tax returns. I wondered if I should submit a third I-134 detailing the value of a house I am in the process of selling....

Anyway, the interview was short. The consular officer probably thought he had already given me enough reading through all my paperwork.

I am sure you will be fine. If you need any more information they will ask you for it.

Oh this is amazing!!! Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah there is plenty of information in my packet and I'm definitely feeling more confident about it now so, thanks!

And also congrats!!! 

Timeline
2 hours ago, a-jay13 said:

Oh this is amazing!!! Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah there is plenty of information in my packet and I'm definitely feeling more confident about it now so, thanks!

And also congrats!!! 

My questions were, as far as I can remember:

(1) Have you lived in any country other than the United Kingdom?

(2) What are you wedding plans? [I guess this a routine question for everyone applying for a K-1 financial visa.]

(3) When did you last meet in person? [My offer to provide proof of our last March meeting was declined.]

When I have time I will write a review of my experience on my time line. Don't know whether you have done your medical yet, but I have done a review of that.

A question for those who have been members of this forum longer than me, is there any record on these pages of the London embassy actually declining to grant a K-1 Fiance visa?

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Lee Thacket said:

My questions were, as far as I can remember:

(1) Have you lived in any country other than the United Kingdom?

(2) What are you wedding plans? [I guess this a routine question for everyone applying for a K-1 financial visa.]

(3) When did you last meet in person? [My offer to provide proof of our last March meeting was declined.]

When I have time I will write a review of my experience on my time line. Don't know whether you have done your medical yet, but I have done a review of that.

A question for those who have been members of this forum longer than me, is there any record on these pages of the London embassy actually declining to grant a K-1 Fiance visa?

I keep hearing the documents required are very few and actually, the evidence of our relationship won't be asked for. I've still got it all anyway, just in case! 

Thank you for the insight on questions, super helpful. 

I had my medical last month, all was fine! 

Timeline

Quick update. Had the interview this morning. It went very well, very quick, they were lovely. 

Can confirm, joint sponsors are accepted in the London embassy. Got my approval within 30 minutes of sitting in the room waiting to be called by officers 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.