Howy

SSN: Will It Be Too Problematic To Remove First Name?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, all. Just had a question on something someone here might have already went through.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I can change my name through Social Security to whatever I want it to be (?). My K1 visa and CFO certificate is approved (yay!), and flight is nearing, and I’ll eventually get to applying for my SSN soon.

I have two first names like many Filipinos. I really want to get rid of my first first name and only keep my second first name (Howard), but is that recommended to do? In general with immigration? Will it cause any problems for when I later on return to the Philippines and my name is different there, or when I give my birth certificate anywhere during the immigration process and they see the name is different there?

Hope someone has experience on this to share. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Social Security Numbers subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

After you marry you can take your spouse's last name if you choose to.  Some states would also allow you to change your middle name according to Philippine customs.  Some states would not allow you to change your middle name.  So it depends on the state for middle names.  I don't think there are any circumstances where you can change your first name by marriage.  It would require a legal name change by the laws of whatever state you are living in.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline

The number holder’s (NH) first and last name on his or her SSN card must agree with the first and last name shown on the document submitted as evidence of identity or legal name. A middle name or suffix is not considered part of the legal name. It does not matter if the middle name or suffix is included, omitted, or incorrectly shown on an SSN card.

For SSN purposes, a NH’s legal name consists of the first (or given name) and last (or family name or surname) that is used to sign legal documents, deeds, or contracts.

The SSN card has two lines for the NH’s name with 26 spaces on the first line for the NH’s first and middle names and 26 spaces on the second line for the last name and suffix, if any. Neither the first or last names shown on the SSN card should be reduced in length, unless it exceeds the 26-character limit. Therefore, omit middle names, middle initials, and suffixes if they prevent you from showing as many characters as possible for the first and last names.

Timeline
21 hours ago, top_secret said:

After you marry you can take your spouse's last name if you choose to.  Some states would also allow you to change your middle name according to Philippine customs.  Some states would not allow you to change your middle name.  So it depends on the state for middle names.  I don't think there are any circumstances where you can change your first name by marriage.  It would require a legal name change by the laws of whatever state you are living in.

Nope, I waa able to do it.

First, the SSA allowed my Wife to change her middle and last name per the Philippines custom. Though, they didn’t seem to care what we chose for a name.

I then asked them to swap my first and middle last name to match my passport, DL, etc… Previously they told me I needed a court ordered name change for this.  But now they agreed to do it based on the marriage certificate which had my first name swapped just like my passport. I then received a new SSN card with my first name changed

Timeline

You also want to apply for the social security card immediately.  You will need the number to file a joint return or open a bank account. Social Security will stamp it "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" but you can have that fixed at the local social security office after your arrival. For tax purposes, you got married the date of the wedding, not the date that you arrived in the US.  If the petitioner files as single after the wedding it will trigger fraud investigations.

Timeline
5 hours ago, W199 said:

First, the SSA allowed my Wife to change her middle and last name per the Philippines custom. Though, they didn’t seem to care what we chose for a name.

I then asked them to swap my first and middle last name to match my passport, DL, etc… Previously they told me I needed a court ordered name change for this.  But now they agreed to do it based on the marriage certificate which had my first name swapped just like my passport. I then received a new SSN card with my first name changed

For both of these name changes, you provided valid documentation that allowed the name change.   The OP wants to drop his "first" first name.  That will be difficult if the identity document he provides lists that as his first name.

6 hours ago, rmarkwallace said:

You also want to apply for the social security card immediately.  You will need the number to file a joint return or open a bank account. Social Security will stamp it "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" but you can have that fixed at the local social security office after your arrival. For tax purposes, you got married the date of the wedding, not the date that you arrived in the US.  If the petitioner files as single after the wedding it will trigger fraud investigations.

A K-1 arrival will only ever get SSN with restriction until they return with an EAD or a green card. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
On 5/16/2024 at 11:14 PM, J.M. said:

For both of these name changes, you provided valid documentation that allowed the name change.   The OP wants to drop his "first" first name.  That will be difficult if the identity document he provides lists that as his first name.

True, good point. My marriage certificate showed my first name change already. Hence, SSA accepted that as a first name change. But I never technically never made a legal name change. The passport agency allowed me to swap my first and last name as shown on my BC as a well as the RMV.  Only the SSA didn’t allow that until I showed them

the marriage certificate which had less strict name change standards. Seems like a loop hole.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hey, update on this for anyone who may come across the post in the future: after marrying, I was only able to change my last name legally through the courthouse and social security. In our state here, we are required to file a petition for modifying our first name in any sort of way. So yes, I CAN change my first name and remove one of them, but it will mean going through another process aside from marriage. Hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.