Halioak

E1 visa at MTL with 221g_timeline and updates

10 posts in this topic

Decided to start a thread to share my timeline. E1 visa type, DQ at NVC in 10/2023, expedtied approved by MTL and got IL on April 19.  Interview date was May 8th.  My case was put into AP under 221g.   Was asked to fill online DS5535 form and submit my CV.  I emailed my CV to montreal-iv-dv@state.gov on May 10th.

CEAC case status shows updates on May 9th, 10th, and 13th.  No response from MTL yet.

During the interview, I asked the CO how long the AP will take.  He asked how long it took in my previous F1 and B1 visa, I said a couple of weeks.  The CO said it may take similar amount of time.  

Will keep updating.

23 hours ago, Halioak said:

Decided to start a thread to share my timeline. E1 visa type, DQ at NVC in 10/2023, expedtied approved by MTL and got IL on April 19.  Interview date was May 8th.  My case was put into AP under 221g.   Was asked to fill online DS5535 form and submit my CV.  I emailed my CV to montreal-iv-dv@state.gov on May 10th.

CEAC case status shows updates on May 9th, 10th, and 13th.  No response from MTL yet.

During the interview, I asked the CO how long the AP will take.  He asked how long it took in my previous F1 and B1 visa, I said a couple of weeks.  The CO said it may take similar amount of time.  

Will keep updating.

Asked congressman to inquire about my case on May 15th, CEAC case last updated date changed to May 16th. No change on status

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 11:34 AM, Halioak said:

No matter what CO told you in interview regarding AP processing time (Other folks in AP have been told similar timelines during the interview in Montreal but still stuck in AP since April 2023 or earlier - it is not in control of consulate as AP clearance for such cases is done in DC), But in actual With Resume only, it takes around 5-6 months to complete AP and with DS-5535 + Resume it takes longer  few months to more than a year for majority of cases in Montreal.

Edited by Leo The Great

7 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

No matter what CO told you in interview regarding AP processing time (Other folks in AP have been told similar timelines during the interview in Montreal but still stuck in AP since April 2023 or earlier - it is not in control of consulate as AP clearance for such cases is done in DC), But in actual With Resume only, it takes around 5-6 months to complete AP and with DS-5535 + Resume it takes longer  few months to more than a year for majority of cases in Montreal.

This is so dreadful. 

On 5/15/2024 at 11:34 AM, Halioak said:

Will keep updating.

Is there a good reason to get an expedition approval? Thanks

4 hours ago, rzchen said:

Is there a good reason to get an expedition approval? Thanks

Yes, you need a good reason. Which stage are you asking about? USCIS or consulate? Note that AP can't be expedited in any way, that takes as long as it takes. 

8 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Yes, you need a good reason. Which stage are you asking about? USCIS or consulate? Note that AP can't be expedited in any way, that takes as long as it takes. 

Waiting for interview in MTL consulate. Would like to see if that can be expedited.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, rzchen said:

Waiting for interview in MTL consulate. Would like to see if that can be expedited.

Then yes, if you have a reason that comes under one of the criteria ('medical or humanitarian emergency') you can apply for an expedite (with proof of your reason i.e. medical records & doctors letter). 

Edit: if you could fill in your timeline too that would be helpful. It's hard to advise without knowing which visa category you're talking about, if your PD is current, etc. 

Edited by appleblossom

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.