ShawnSpiker

Fiance Visa K1 - Online Engagement Ceremony is Acceptable

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
1 minute ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Thank you.

Has anyone asked if you are a US citizen yet?

You have talked a lot about "in my country"... you do know that the sponsor welcoming the fiance into the US, has to be a citizen, right?

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

3 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Has anyone asked if you are a US citizen yet?

You have talked a lot about "in my country"... you do know that the sponsor welcoming the fiance into the US, has to be a citizen, right?

You are right, I am a US citizen.

5 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Is there any time required regarding how long I know my Fiance before we file the Fiance Visa?
Are 30 days acceptable?

Expect scrutiny, especially for a high-fraud, high-risk country.  Most would recommend much more time spent together in person before filing a petition.

Just now, SalishSea said:

Expect scrutiny, especially for a high-fraud, high-risk country.  Most would recommend much more time spent together in person before filing a petition.

For how long? I mean, I live in the USA and she is in the Middle East. I will only be there for less than a week or 10 days every time I will see or visit her.
I only see her once so far. I am trying to catch her a few more trips but I am not so sure yet. 

Just now, ShawnSpiker said:

For how long? I mean, I live in the USA and she is in the Middle East. I will only be there for less than a week or 10 days every time I will see or visit her.
I only see her once so far. I am trying to catch her a few more trips but I am not so sure yet. 

There is no proscribed formula for a successful visa journey.  But, if you do some reading on the forums (historical), you'll see that in-person face time is an important factor for applicants from certain countries.  @Jeanne Adil

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

There is no proscribed formula for a successful visa journey.  But, if you do some reading on the forums (historical), you'll see that in-person face time is an important factor for applicants from certain countries.  @Jeanne Adil

So I met her for 10 days only one time and I had known her for only 3 months in total but now we are in love and we would like to marry.
Is that convincing since we are from the Middle East?
I may go on Christmas.

Edited by ShawnSpiker

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

So I met her for 10 days only one time and I had known her for only 3 months in total but now we are in love and we would like to marry.
Is that convincing since we are from the Middle East?
I may go on Christmas.

You may be in big trouble if you file the petition now.  Wait until after one (or two, or more) additional visits.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

You may be in big trouble if you file the petition now.  Wait until after one (or two, or more) additional visits.

Can I file now and go in August? Thank you for your advice! I do truly love her and we have chats, videos, and enough evidence that we are in a faithful relationship.
So you think one visit is not fully convincing or even enough... I am not gonna argue with you because I know that you know. 
I just don't want to waste more time. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zambia
Timeline
3 hours ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Can I file now and go in August? Thank you for your advice! I do truly love her and we have chats, videos, and enough evidence that we are in a faithful relationship.
So you think one visit is not fully convincing or even enough... I am not gonna argue with you because I know that you know. 
I just don't want to waste more time. :(

Of course you can file now and see her in a few months; however it may not give you the best chance of approval. 

It seems like you are really excited about this whole thing!

From all of the messages on here, it also seems you may be recognizing red flags in your ability to prove the validity of your relationship. Many of the responses here seem to be suggesting you may want to take more time getting to know one another both to help settle your concerns as well as to help settle the concerns of a visa officer. As I read it, while you seem to share similar cultures, some of the major concerns from an outsider's view might be:

• You have not spent much time together
  • You have not known each other very long
  • You seem to be in a rush to get her over here
  • The online engagement ceremony and engagement certificate may actually confuse the issue

While most of us are anxious to get through this process and be with our love one, the primary cause for visa denial is the perception that the relationship is not genuine. Additionally, a fiancé visa will not be issued to a married couple, and there is no formal engagement process in the United States. There are numerous examples of denials based on appearance of marriage (dowry payments, formal engagement parties, photos that appear to show a wedding ceremony, etc.).

Obviously every culture has different approaches to these things (e.g., a dowry/bride price in some cultures may be required before the family allows their daughter to move, and in other cultures it actually signifies that the couple if officially married), so each case is different. Even so, it would probably be advised by most people on here that you simply follow the steps outlined in the guides on here and any country-specific advice you can find as well. People have been through the process and some of the respondents have seen so many things as they have been contributing to this site for well over a decade.

Hopefully you can get this all sorted out and move forward with whichever option you feel is best for your situation and the two of you can be reunited soon!

Posted (edited)

Is it important to have the intent letter to marry with the K1 visa in wet ink?
I forgot to have the letter from my Fiancee while I was with her.

Any solutions?

Edited by ShawnSpiker

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

neither my letter of intent or my fiance's letter of intent was submitted as "wet ink"

the signatures were hand written, but the letters of intent we submitted were copies

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

11 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

neither my letter of intent or my fiance's letter of intent was submitted as "wet ink"

the signatures were hand written, but the letters of intent we submitted were copies

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Is it too bad to put affidavit letters from friends and family from both countries before they ask RFE, is it too much? is it better or unnecessary?

Edited by ShawnSpiker

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
8 hours ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Is it too bad to put affidavit letters from friends and family from both countries before they ask RFE, is it too much? is it better or unnecessary?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Please read the checklist of required initial evidence

Missing affidavits would not cause an RFE.  When submitting the I-129F, there is no financial affidavit.  You will fill out the I-134 and provide to your fiancee when they attend the embassy interview.

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.