dbs78

fiancee work concern

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
They are going to want to know how an adult manages to pay the bills if not employed, and probably suspect worse.

I do not think this is universally the situation. My SO put on her application as "unemployed"... Nothing ever came up about it as she was asked ZERO questions at her interview.

It's not a universal statement. It applies to the OP's situation. He's engaged to an attractive young woman from the PI. The suggestion was to indicate she was "never employed".

You continually introduce statements where there are no facts to support. No where have I ever read an indication that the consulate officer gives a "hoot" how the adult manages to pay there bills..... And if this was your experience in China, then it might only be in China.

That you are not aware of a fact does not define whether a statement is or is not fact. Yodrak is precisely correct in his assessment of what I was referring to. Actually, I thought it was so obvious it didn't need to be explained in detail. Here's your sign.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
fwaguy,

I expect what's on pushbrk's mind, given that he thought the woman was from the Phillippines, is that many K-visa applicants from the PI are or have been prostitutes. In the environment there an adult woman who claims to be making her way in the world without employment may well be trying to hide something and is perhaps much more likely to be questioned about it than in, say, the Ukraine.

As I wrote in my post, it might be a good idea for dbs78 to get his ideas about how to deal with his fiancee's employment situation from someone who is familiar with the 'climate' in the US consulate in Romania before deciding how he wants to present the woman to the USCIS and the DOS.

Yodrak

I wonder why I thought she was from the PI. I would not have made such a statement had I realized the woman lived in Romania instead. I wouldn't know about Romania.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
fwaguy,

I expect what's on pushbrk's mind, given that he thought the woman was from the Phillippines, is that many K-visa applicants from the PI are or have been prostitutes. In the environment there an adult woman who claims to be making her way in the world without employment may well be trying to hide something and is perhaps much more likely to be questioned about it than in, say, the Ukraine.

As I wrote in my post, it might be a good idea for dbs78 to get his ideas about how to deal with his fiancee's employment situation from someone who is familiar with the 'climate' in the US consulate in Romania before deciding how he wants to present the woman to the USCIS and the DOS.

Yodrak

I wonder why I thought she was from the PI. I would not have made such a statement had I realized the woman lived in Romania instead. I wouldn't know about Romania.

Are you versed in the PI embassy? I thought it was only China.

Timeline
I expect what's on pushbrk's mind, given that he thought the woman was from the Phillippines, is that many K-visa applicants from the PI are or have been prostitutes.

#######?

Yes and Thailand too. It's a fact, not a judgment. The keyword is "many" not "all" or even "most" but enough that an attractive young woman who never had a job, would be answering questions about how she makes her way in the world. (pays the bills)

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I expect what's on pushbrk's mind, given that he thought the woman was from the Phillippines, is that many K-visa applicants from the PI are or have been prostitutes.

#######?

Yes and Thailand too. It's a fact, not a judgment. The keyword is "many" not "all" or even "most" but enough that an attractive young woman who never had a job, would be answering questions about how she makes her way in the world. (pays the bills)

I can't speak for other embassies, but my impression with the Manila Embassy is there is a very high rate of K-1 approvals to denials. I don't know of any statistics on how many former prostitutes become K-1 beneficiaries, but either the Embassy doesn't care about such types of employment or your claim that many of them are former prostitutes is inaccurate.

devilette,

Yes. Been there, saw it happening personally.

Yodrak

Are you sure you can back up that blanket statement?

don't you think "many" was a bit out of line? no more pm's you said it here, explain it here. where's your stats?

You saw prostitution or prostitutes applying for K-1 visas?

I imagine in Asia countries, with its strong family culture, a single woman (old or young, attractive or not) could not work and it would not necessarily be cause for concern.

90day.jpg

Mister Fancypants,

One would expect the approval rate to be virtually 100%. "Very high", especially at a consulate that processes as many visa applications as Manilla does, means a large number of refusals.

As pushbrk recognizes, "many" does not mean 'most', it means enough to be a noticeable phenomenon.

Yodrak

I can't speak for other embassies, but my impression with the Manila Embassy is there is a very high rate of K-1 approvals to denials. I don't know of any statistics on how many former prostitutes become K-1 beneficiaries, but either the Embassy doesn't care about such types of employment or your claim that many of them are former prostitutes is inaccurate.

robinklake,

Yes. I saw, and knew, many men who met their wives in the 'entertainment industry' in my time as an expat.

Yodrak

You saw prostitution or prostitutes applying for K-1 visas?

that may be and I'm sure it exists. I too have travelled and lived in Asia and know the kind of stuff that goes on. But the impression I get here on the website is that most men met their fiancees the same way people did from other parts of the world - through the internet.

90day.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.