JaneStaark

Social security card with a new name

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! 
We applied for AOS at the end of April. Still no updates there (other than it was delivered) 

I got my Social security card back in 2022 when I was here through W&T program. But since we got married I changed my name. Can I change my SScard now with my new last name on it? or do they issue me a replacement when I get my work permit? 

It is very frustrating and seems like I'm stuck, because I have no documents with my new legal name. 

I'd appreciate all of your answers and advices! Thank you 

Edited by JaneStaark

• JaneStaark changed the title to Social security card with a new name
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread moved to SSN, from AOS FAmily K1/K3- as the topic is about SSC.~~

You will need to wait until you get your EAD.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

23 minutes ago, JaneStaark said:

Can I change my SScard now with my new last name on it?

Unfortunately not. 

or do they issue me a replacement when I get my work permit? 

Yes provided you both, applied for your I765 in your new married name and requested a replacement SSN on the I765 to be sent automatically after I765 approval. 

It is very frustrating and seems like I'm stuck, because I have no documents with my new legal name. 

Explain what, at this time, is extremely important to have a document with your new name on it and possibly we can provide a work around or even just an explanation.

The K1 process is well known to have its delays which is why the spousal visa is the far better route If you want arrive and start "life".

By choosing K1, you accepted the SU&W mentality as way of life for the time being unfortunately. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 5/14/2024 at 12:55 PM, JaneStaark said:

okay. thank you everyone for your answers! hope we'll receive EAD or even GC soon. 

Have you heard anything for USCIS since you applied?? 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, M and Mike said:

Have you heard anything for USCIS since you applied?? 

no news. the check wasn't even cashed..it's been more than 30 days by now, so we sent request about our case on their support line. it's so frustrating..

1 minute ago, JaneStaark said:

no news. the check wasn't even cashed..it's been more than 30 days by now, so we sent request about our case on their support line. it's so frustrating..

Non receipt of receipt notice inquiries are sent by email to the Lockbox.

Check out the USCIS Contact US webpage for details.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Non receipt of receipt notice inquiries are sent by email to the Lockbox.

Check out the USCIS Contact US webpage for details.

sorry I meant email. We sent it to lockboxsupport yesterday (May 30.) All what we know for now that somebody signed up and picked up our package (it was part of our delivery) 

28 minutes ago, JaneStaark said:

sorry I meant email. We sent it to lockboxsupport yesterday (May 30.) All what we know for now that somebody signed up and picked up our package (it was part of our delivery) 

Did you ship via USPS mail or UPS courier?

4 hours ago, JaneStaark said:

USPS and we ask for signature from receiver 

That could be why you've experienced problems. 

Applications mailed to USCIS via USPS go to a Post Office Box at the local post office. There would be no one there to sign for it from USCIS.

Signature on receipt applies to only courier shipments as that address is an actual desk AT the lockbox which is manned by a person.

My guess is you are stuck in USPS limbo as they cannot comply with your requirement to have someone sign for your package.

I'd call the number on your shipping receipt and confirm it was actually signed for and by who and then you can add that to your email inquiry to the Lockbox.

Timeline
5 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Signature on receipt applies to only courier shipments as that address is an actual desk AT the lockbox which is manned by a person.

My guess is you are stuck in USPS limbo as they cannot comply with your requirement to have someone sign for your package.

I'd call the number on your shipping receipt and confirm it was actually signed for and by who and then you can add that to your email inquiry to the Lockbox.

We shipped everything to the address listed on USCIS website. The package was delivered and actual person signed for it. So we already add and email everything to our inquiry. Hope we'll get some updates soon. But thank you so much for all the advices! this forum is really helpful 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.