Ryan & Rachaya

I-130 Estimated Time expires, resets, expires, resets,...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We submitted an I-130 in Aug 2022 but there were errors so we cancelled and refiled in Sep 2023 (both electronically).

This second one was received and marked as "Being Actively Reviewed" almost immediately.

The "Estimated time until case decision" initially said 6 weeks (!).

This made us very happy as we thought maybe someone was being merciful given the year we'd just lost due to the previous filing error.

But that counted down and nothing happened except the status changed to "Taking longer than expected".

It remained that way for a few weeks and then the Estimated Time reset to 2 months (but still Being Acively Reviewed).

That counted down and (now Jan 2024) the status again changed to "Taking longer than expected."

It remained that way until just last week (April 2024) and now has reset to 7 months.

We are no longer so happy.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before, know what it could mean, or if we should try to do anything about it?

On the one hand, even 7 months from now is still very shy of the "15 month" general estimate for I-130's at Texas, so by that count we should not contact USCIS until well into 2025.

On the other hand, it really looks like something is wrong here and we don't want to wait until mid-2025 to find out what it is. Losing that first year was quite a blow and is not an experience we want to repeat.

Any advice?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
16 hours ago, Ryan & Rachaya said:

We submitted an I-130 in Aug 2022 but there were errors so we cancelled and refiled in Sep 2023 (both electronically).

This second one was received and marked as "Being Actively Reviewed" almost immediately.

The "Estimated time until case decision" initially said 6 weeks (!).

This made us very happy as we thought maybe someone was being merciful given the year we'd just lost due to the previous filing error.

But that counted down and nothing happened except the status changed to "Taking longer than expected".

It remained that way for a few weeks and then the Estimated Time reset to 2 months (but still Being Acively Reviewed).

That counted down and (now Jan 2024) the status again changed to "Taking longer than expected."

It remained that way until just last week (April 2024) and now has reset to 7 months.

We are no longer so happy.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before, know what it could mean, or if we should try to do anything about it?

On the one hand, even 7 months from now is still very shy of the "15 month" general estimate for I-130's at Texas, so by that count we should not contact USCIS until well into 2025.

On the other hand, it really looks like something is wrong here and we don't want to wait until mid-2025 to find out what it is. Losing that first year was quite a blow and is not an experience we want to repeat.

Any advice?

Filed our I130 in March 2022 for stepson to join us in USA. Few months ago said processing time 3 months. Two months later said 1 month. Then 4 weeks, 3 weeks, to 1 week. After one week, the processing time projections dissapared. Now back to saying actively working on your case. That was three weeks ago and still no status. I would disregard that timeline. It's meaningless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.