narutama

I did not have a N-400/I-751 combo interview

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys! I just want to know if this has happened to someone else and what was the timeline/waiting time for the case to be resolved.

My 2-year green card expired and I submitted the paperwork on June 24, 2022. It has been pending ever since (I have a 48-month extension letter). So, I applied for citizenship when I was eligible.

I had my N-400 interview yesterday (but I have an I-751 pending). Just in case that it was going to be a combo interview, I brought all of our evidence of bona fide marriage and brought my partner with me. However, when I told the officer about my pending I-751, he said this was going to be a N-400 interview ONLY and my partner couldn't be with me.

N-400 interview went well, the officer hardly asked me for any documents (interview notification and expired green card). Civic and English tests were easy, and after I passed everything the officer said they couldn't make a decision because I have the I-751 pending. He said that I am going to receive a N-14 form requesting more evidence or something, or telling me instructions for the next steps, etc.

My case has been pending since 2022! I had hoped the N-400 process was going to speed it up, but now I don't know. Has anyone experienced this? How long did it take for them to solve this bureaucratic bs?

I was hoping for a combo interview to get it over with :( oh well.

Now I don't know, if they solve the pending I-751, would I have to apply and pay for N-400 again?

1) Did you request a combo interview in cover letter when applying for N-400?

2) Did you attach copy of I-751 in your N-400 submission?

I does happen, your case is not extraordinary. 

40 minutes ago, narutama said:

Now I don't know, if they solve the pending I-751, would I have to apply and pay for N-400 again?

No, you don't have to apply for N-400 again or pay the fees. When your I-751 will get approved, you'll be placed in line for oath.

Legally, if you don't hear anything 120 days from N-400 interview, you can sue USCIS (Writ Of Mandamus) and they'll have to give you a decision.

Hang in there, your journey is almost completed!

1.  I did not request a combo interview in the cover letter, since I didn't even submit one :( (I filed online and just submitted the paperwork that they were asking for). I didn't know we could have requested it!! (kicking myself now)

2. I attached a copy of my receipt of notice/extension letter with the N-400 submission and the expired GC.

It makes me feel better to know that combo interviews are not the norm! Sadly, I was under the impression that if you had a pending I-751 and submitted the N-400, it was a given that they were going to do both at once and speed up the process.

Also, I am very relieved to know that I don't have to apply to the N-400 again and pay the fees. Thank you! I guess, I'll just keep waiting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, narutama said:

1.  I did not request a combo interview in the cover letter, since I didn't even submit one :( (I filed online and just submitted the paperwork that they were asking for). I didn't know we could have requested it!! (kicking myself now)

2. I attached a copy of my receipt of notice/extension letter with the N-400 submission and the expired GC.

It makes me feel better to know that combo interviews are not the norm! Sadly, I was under the impression that if you had a pending I-751 and submitted the N-400, it was a given that they were going to do both at once and speed up the process.

Also, I am very relieved to know that I don't have to apply to the N-400 again and pay the fees. Thank you! I guess, I'll just keep waiting.

While many do get a combo interview, a ton of people don't. Here on VJ a lot of people are requesting to get a combo interview by typing up and uploading a regular Word document (or similar, some use a cover letter) when they file their N-400. I don't know if it makes a difference or not - but definitely worth a try as it doesn't cost anything and is of minimal effort. It's hard to know how far in advance they look into your case at the field office, the i-751 with aaaaall of its supporting documents need to be shipped there and may or may not make it on time for your interview.

Either way, perfectly normal to not have a combo interview. Once you have submitted what they need/want you're probably getting approved without having to go for another interview. Many times, when a case has been pending for a long time, they want to see updated evidence from the time of filing to the RFE date. A lot can happen in 2 years, they are making sure everything is still good to go.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.