NickGoodfella

K1 Visa Interview Consulate ~ Northern Ireland

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

My fiancée is from Belfast, Northern Ireland(Born and Raised) and we are in the process of filling out the K1 Visa

She is an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, but we are unsure what Consulate/Embassy she will go to. 

Would it be Dublin? Or does Belfast do K1 Visa's? 

I've seen some people say London?  I am totally lost on trying to figure which one to put on the I-129f

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Nick

Edited by NickGoodfella
Missed a word

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought Belfast only did non immigrant?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Back in 2002 when I applied for spousal visa I had to go to London for the visa interview even though there is the US embassy in Belfast. It’s been a while but I’d be surprised if it’s changed. Your fiancé could call up the US embassy in Belfast and ask them probably.

1 minute ago, jan22 said:

Per the US Consulate General Belfast website (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/) immigrant visas for citizens/residents of the United Kingdom (that includes Northern Ireland) are processed at the US Embassy in London.

Even if my fiancée is an Irish citizen? She doesn’t have dual national status with the United Kingdom since the Good Friday agreement allowed people of Northern Ireland to choose 

Timeline
Just now, NickGoodfella said:

Even if my fiancée is an Irish citizen? She doesn’t have dual national status with the United Kingdom since the Good Friday agreement allowed people of Northern Ireland to choose 

We are talking about cases processed in the UK and where they are done.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, NickGoodfella said:

If she is resident in Belfast, yes — according to the website.  It says UK citizens or residents of the UK.

Regardless of what you put on the petition, It would likely be assigned to London, based on the address of her residence.  If she would prefer Dublin, she could request a transfer and likely get it moved.

Edited by jan22

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

We are talking about cases processed in the UK and where they are done.

I understand, but I guess I was just confused on which one to list on the i129f, I guess I will leave Dublin.

1 minute ago, jan22 said:

If she is resident in Belfast, yes — according to the website.  It says UK citizens or residents of the UK.

It would likely be assigned to London, based on the address of her residence.  If she would prefer Dublin, she could request a transfer and likely get it moved.

Okay thank you! Appreciate it

22 hours ago, NickGoodfella said:

Hello everyone!

My fiancée is from Belfast, Northern Ireland(Born and Raised) and we are in the process of filling out the K1 Visa

She is an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, but we are unsure what Consulate/Embassy she will go to. 

Would it be Dublin? Or does Belfast do K1 Visa's? 

I've seen some people say London?  I am totally lost on trying to figure which one to put on the I-129f

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Nick

I am from N Ireland and done the K1 Visa back in 2017 (now a US Citizen). Your fiancé will be interviewed in London not Belfast.

Timeline
Just now, NickGoodfella said:

Thank you for the info! So in this case citizenship does not matter. The address takes precedent. 

No

On 4/28/2024 at 9:43 AM, NickGoodfella said:

Thank you for the info! So in this case citizenship does not matter. The address takes precedent. 

No. N Ireland is considered UK so by default the interview would be held in London. Exactly everything Jan22 quoted is fully accurate. London is a wonderful embassy by the way! 

Timeline

So is Dublin, OP has the option.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So is Dublin, OP has the option.

Exactly! N Ireland is very unique in that sense.

Good luck with whatever option your fiancé chooses. Ultimately, it’s the same K1 visa type they’d interview for whatever Embassy choice they go for so truly makes no difference! 

Edited by Vegas i-751

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.