8,274 posts in this topic

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
We have rats in the attic. Me and Mel were sitting outside one night and saw one scurrying across the powerline than leads to our roof. We started hearing scuffling coming from the attic. Mel threw a bunch of poison blocks around up there. I keep hearing noises up there- some of the noises may be them flip flopping around because of them dying from the poison, I don't know.

And don't get me started on cockroaches- they are everywhere here in New Orleans. We have an exterminator that comes once a month- but roaches can come in on anything you bring into the house.

Sigh- I miss Alberta- no roaches or rats.

Ew. Are you sure they're rats? I guess it's kind of inevitable with all the devastation in NO. In any case, I'd be concerned about the poison blocks though. Once they start dying, the maggots will be all over, and they'll start coming through any cracks they can get through. The ones that live will turn into flies and you'll be infested. He really needs to get the rats out of there. Best thing to do is call the rodent/wildlife experts and have them install a one way door where they're coming in, then have it sealed. Otherwise you'll just have new ones moving in. Good luck.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
We have rats in the attic. Me and Mel were sitting outside one night and saw one scurrying across the powerline than leads to our roof. We started hearing scuffling coming from the attic. Mel threw a bunch of poison blocks around up there. I keep hearing noises up there- some of the noises may be them flip flopping around because of them dying from the poison, I don't know.

And don't get me started on cockroaches- they are everywhere here in New Orleans. We have an exterminator that comes once a month- but roaches can come in on anything you bring into the house.

Are you sure they weren't bankers? :lol:

Love that commercial!! I told Mel about it and he laughed his a$$ off. He said he never saw it- I saw it in Canada and am not sure if it was only aired there. I don't remember what company or bank or what it was for.

Timeline

Ew. Are you sure they're rats? I guess it's kind of inevitable with all the devastation in NO. In any case, I'd be concerned about the poison blocks though. Once they start dying, the maggots will be all over, and they'll start coming through any cracks they can get through. The ones that live will turn into flies and you'll be infested. He really needs to get the rats out of there. Best thing to do is call the rodent/wildlife experts and have them install a one way door where they're coming in, then have it sealed. Otherwise you'll just have new ones moving in. Good luck.

EW!! That is nasty!! We will head up there when he gets home and take a look. I'm pretty sure it is rats. I saw the size of it when it was on the powerline.

I saw a rat for the first time recently (besides in a pet store) when we were in the French Quarter. We were walking back to our car- it was in a lot near the river- it's not uncommon to see them down by the river. I didn't think they would be in the area we live in.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

EW!! That is nasty!! We will head up there when he gets home and take a look. I'm pretty sure it is rats. I saw the size of it when it was on the powerline.

I saw a rat for the first time recently (besides in a pet store) when we were in the French Quarter. We were walking back to our car- it was in a lot near the river- it's not uncommon to see them down by the river. I didn't think they would be in the area we live in.

OMG.....Have you seen nutria rats yet? HUGE! When i was still living in NOLA someone tried to get people in on the fad of EATING those nasty buggers.... blech.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Stacey - we used to have squirrels and skunks running around the rafters of our house. My aunt was so cheap that she "exterminated" them herself. Don't ask me how, but the skunks made the house reek for DAYS.

Some perks of not being at home, I guess :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

get a cat :thumbs: they kill both roaches and rats.

as someone mentioned previously, poison blocks will solve that problem but create new ones. i agree with the attic needing to be sealed to prevent further invasions.

coffeebk6.jpg

gotta have my yummy canadian coffee! :)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
OMG.....Have you seen nutria rats yet? HUGE! When i was still living in NOLA someone tried to get people in on the fad of EATING those nasty buggers.... blech.

:o

No..... I haven't seen them. And I hope to God I never do. :lol:

I have seen them in the canals. They are very similar to a muskrat- and they have these long orange teeth.

And I have seen some TV shows where they do get eaten- Bizzarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman if I remember correctly did an episode in Louisiana and he ate it.

Edited by Stacey33

I'd rather have rats than roaches :unsure: I hate bugs.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'd rather have rats than roaches :unsure: I hate bugs.

rats eat roaches, so with roaches one usually will have rats too :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

get a cat :thumbs: they kill both roaches and rats.

as someone mentioned previously, poison blocks will solve that problem but create new ones. i agree with the attic needing to be sealed to prevent further invasions.

coffeebk6.jpg

gotta have my yummy canadian coffee! :)

I did think of that. We have a lot of cats in the neighborhood- I told Mel we should round some up and throw them in the attic for a few days :)

We did go to Lowes last night- we got more poison to put down. Mel said the shelves were pretty bare compared to when he bought the first box a few days ago- I assume many are having this problem, And we also bought this big round plastic thing to attach to the powerline so they can't get on the roof.

Had a little mice infestation last year, PB and cheese on mice traps...that worked the best :thumbs:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline
Had a little mice infestation last year, PB and cheese on mice traps...that worked the best :thumbs:

We had a mouse infestation in our tool shed back home years ago. It started after we put up a bird feeder near the shed and the mouse were coming for the food on the grass that fell from it.

My dad put together all the traps with the little pieces of bread and Peanut Butter. My father is horrified of any type of little critters so it was my job to lay them down and collect and throw out the bodies. Yuck.

I'm not scared of the animals themselves- although I would jump if something all of a sudden ran across me- I was always more scared of any diseases that they might carry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.