thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
This is probably what she was talking about:

Part-time Resident

Part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only."

Oh, okay. Phew. Must have something to do with all the seasonal residents. Well, that's a relief. *wipes brow* Though I'm wondering why they would even mention it to him since he's not a seasonal resident. :unsure:

Good morning!

We went to look at another house for rent yesterday - we might have a winner! The owner just called actually to make sure we are still interested, so I need to give her a call back.

One thing she mentioned, which I thought was a tad different - was that she has pest control spray the house and yard every three months? Does that seem excessive to anyone else (krikit?) ?

I saw the house next door being sprayed the other day, so it must be the same thing. (They're seasonal residents.... they're only here two weeks per year.) In our case, we don't get spraying. We have subterranean termite protection where there are bait traps set around our property and the inspector comes to check them and replace the bait quarterly. Then, once a year, they inspect the inside of the property also. I guess that's the difference between a green and a none-green application. (chemical vs natural) So I would guess that quarterly is probably not excessive.

Where's the new house, Trailmix? Still in Lake Mary? What's it like?

iagree.gif

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
This is probably what she was talking about:

Part-time Resident

Part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only."

Oh, okay. Phew. Must have something to do with all the seasonal residents. Well, that's a relief. *wipes brow* Though I'm wondering why they would even mention it to him since he's not a seasonal resident. :unsure:

Good morning!

We went to look at another house for rent yesterday - we might have a winner! The owner just called actually to make sure we are still interested, so I need to give her a call back.

One thing she mentioned, which I thought was a tad different - was that she has pest control spray the house and yard every three months? Does that seem excessive to anyone else (krikit?) ?

I saw the house next door being sprayed the other day, so it must be the same thing. (They're seasonal residents.... they're only here two weeks per year.) In our case, we don't get spraying. We have subterranean termite protection where there are bait traps set around our property and the inspector comes to check them and replace the bait quarterly. Then, once a year, they inspect the inside of the property also. I guess that's the difference between a green and a none-green application. (chemical vs natural) So I would guess that quarterly is probably not excessive.

Where's the new house, Trailmix? Still in Lake Mary? What's it like?

Yes in Lake Mary, and in fact I just got off the phone with her and we are renting the house! My Husband will be meeting her over there today to give her the deposit cheque and pick up the lease for us to read/sign.

It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, a small patio in the back (not screened in, just paving stones - which could be a problem since the cat is now used to being able to trot out to the patio whenever she likes).

She had rented to people who lived there for 6-7 years, during that time, they went back to texas and casually sublet to the woman's Daughter. Well they trashed the house basically. Between that house and the house next door, rent was unpaid, drugs, blah blah blah.

This is in 'old' Lake Mary, not far from the Farmer's market - the really really nice thing is that she has just redone the whole place. New appliances, all new paint, I think the carpet is new too (carpet in the bedrooms, tile in the rest of the house). It doesn't have a garage but it does have a carport.

Anyway, the other nice thing is she has agreed to rent to us month to month. She originally wanted at least a 1yr lease, however I explained to her that we didn't really want to get in to that long a lease as we wanted to buy a house etc etc.

So she said she would consider it for the right people, we met at the house yesterday and talked and I guess she liked us - we move next weekend, maybe even sooner!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Oh wow. That's exciting Trailmix! I feel sad for Meowmix, though, not being able to go out on the porch anymore. :( Her (his?) meows are going to be so pitiful. lol

I'm thinking nutmix will have to dust off his carpentry skills and build a screened in area!

Or, we could probably get some kind of pre-made thing.

Hopefully she will be so happy to see her cat condo she will be happy just sitting on it looking out the window :hehe:

Oh wow. That's exciting Trailmix! I feel sad for Meowmix, though, not being able to go out on the porch anymore. :( Her (his?) meows are going to be so pitiful. lol

I'm thinking nutmix will have to dust off his carpentry skills and build a screened in area!

Hopefully she will be so happy to see her cat condo she will be happy just sitting on it looking out the window :hehe:

I hear the cages are fairly inexpensive. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I hear the cages are fairly inexpensive. :thumbs:

Is this some kind of screen cage thing you put over a patio?

I really should install MSN messenger again. :lol: (It looked like it was the culprit for my computer crashing so I removed it.)

Yes, a screen cage which goes over the patio. If the house already has a covered patio then they just attach the screens to that. If not, they just build one and attach it to the house. It's pretty basic..... just some aluminum and netting. That's why it's so inexpensive.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I really should install MSN messenger again. :lol: (It looked like it was the culprit for my computer crashing so I removed it.)

Yes, a screen cage which goes over the patio. If the house already has a covered patio then they just attach the screens to that. If not, they just build one and attach it to the house. It's pretty basic..... just some aluminum and netting. That's why it's so inexpensive.

I wonder if they have a kit for that...hmmm....something to go look up.

When I was looking at patio enclosures earlier I came across The Patio Scupper - which some smart person invented, basically a little insert thing you install on your patio so you can hose it out or sweep it and have somewhere to let the water run out or dust out.

It's rather annoying with one that is completely anchored and has no opening - I use buckets of water to clean it and swish the water (as best I can) with the broom, through the screen. Not a very effective method.

Happy Monday morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend. I have been laughing here with tears running down my face for a few minutes now, reading those two mirror comments of charles and trailmix. :lol: That is the FUNNIEST. :lol:

Here's coffee this morning. Enjoy your day!

untitled.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Morning all! Hope you had a good weekend. We are having a photo shoot next weekend with a friend of ours who is a photographer. He's trying to build a portfolio and needs willing victims.. so we offered! Hey! Cheap pictures for us!! :)

He also said that he needs a couple to pose for pictures for a wedding shoot he wants to do in Rhode Island.. it's basically get all dressed up in a dress etc. from a local bridal boutique and they'll take the shots and you just have to pose.. that would be fun!! :) it's nice to know people like that :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds fun E. Good morning every one and thanks for the coffee Carla. I recently started drinking coffee in the hopes the caffeine would take away my headaches a little bit. Well my headaches have been pretty non-existent lately (great!) but my stomach can't handle the coffee. Within the hour I'm running for the bathroom :lol: I guess I'm not meant to be a coffee drinker and should stick to tea.

I continued to look at houses this weekend. It's harder than I thought! I've seen about 15 so far and just a few that I like. I don't want this process to take forever.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning everyone. it was a horrifying week of yard work at home, i had to come to work to relax. :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Thanks for the coffee Carla! Em that sounds like fun, hope you will post some of the pictures!

Well, I will call ABF U-Pack this morning to see if we can have our relocube delivered this Friday.

I posted on craigslist for 2 people to unload it this Saturday. I got quite a few replies within an hour or two, so took the ad down, but it kind of made me feel bad. I had email from a guy who was laid off, from a Father who said he and his Son could help and that they really need the money. I had already emailed back the first person, who just had to check with his Brother.

On the other hand, I had a nice email from a guy who introduced himself, he is a UCF student and he and his friend would really like to do it - he even offered to lower the price (I would still pay them the original rate, of course, which is $25 per person for about an hour of work).

So the first guy, who was checking with his Brother, said he would email me back last night, which he didn't, however he did email me back this morning. I want to hire the 2 students now though.

Oh well!

Timeline

So I called U-Pack, they don't deliver Saturday (not surprising) so they can deliver between 7-3 on a week day.

Mike starts back with the Elections people on Wednesday, we only have 1 car.

So anyway, I organized it to be delivered tomorrow and left voice mail for the college student to see if he's available to unpack it tomorrow and voice mail for the house owner to check with her that it's ok.

At some point this week we will be sleeping in OUR bed!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
So I called U-Pack, they don't deliver Saturday (not surprising) so they can deliver between 7-3 on a week day.

Mike starts back with the Elections people on Wednesday, we only have 1 car.

So anyway, I organized it to be delivered tomorrow and left voice mail for the college student to see if he's available to unpack it tomorrow and voice mail for the house owner to check with her that it's ok.

At some point this week we will be sleeping in OUR bed!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Note: No real reason to read what I wrote below, i'm just in organization mode and rambling :lol:

So it looks like we will probably move over there Thursday night. I have pretty much been on the phone/internet all day with mover/u-pack/electricity/cable/bank/mail forwarding/netflix and mailed car registration and Mike's license change of address.

He has gone to the city to organize the water/garbage for tomorrow - they only do it in person.

When I called to hook up the electricity they said there would be a $380 deposit - but it might be waived if I have good credit.

So she did a credit check and came back and said "you have excellent credit and we will waive the deposit".

So I guess a 'non' credit check is excellent!

One slight annoyance is I can't get hold of the home owner, I left her voice mail about 3 hours ago and she hasn't returned my call, need to drop off the lease and rent and get the key from her.

Oh and Mike found out he has a work thing at 9 tomorrow - so I have to call U-Pack back around 7 a.m. to see if I can get ANY idea when they might deliver it tomorrow - I may end up having to take a cab over to the house.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.