thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Well my Husband has gone off to show our car to whomever has to look at it before we can register it here. He has to drive all the way to Deland - which according to google is about a 40 minute drive each way.

Later today we will go back to the county tax collectors office to register the car - which is about 20 minutes from here - you would think we were living in a back water instead of just outside Orlando!

The import lady just met me at our local tax collector's office so I wouldn't have to drive to Ocala. She told me they are assigned to regions and just travel to each area as the need arises.

Oh, well that would have been incredibly handy!

Yeah. Would have been nice if they'd bothered to inform your husband that that option was available to him. <_<

iagree.gif

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

On my second day here, my husband's coworker stopped by to say that there's something I need to warn you about. Steve is 62 years old and close to retirement. The Weather Service here has a club called the Weather Service Wives Club and once a month they meet, go out for lunch and have a general hen party. My wife never goes and always has an excuse pre-made a month in advance. Once you get into this cult there is no getting out. :lol:

My husband looks at me and laughs because he knows how generally antisocial I can be. So I ran into the boss' wife yesterday who was a gem and she cornered me about going to the lunch this Saturday. I didn't have an excuse prepared and am a terrible liar. I couldn't do anything else other than just stutter and say sure that sounds nice - what time? :bonk:

Since then I have had 3 phone calls to the house to greet me to the club and the island. Saw Steve and he laughed and said - see you should have started on an excuse as soon as I told you. They're like ninjas waiting for the perfect opportunity to ask. :help:

Actually, I'm game for anything once. Maybe we have our own tattoos and secret handshake?

11540__yaya1_l.jpg

Timeline
Well my Husband has gone off to show our car to whomever has to look at it before we can register it here. He has to drive all the way to Deland - which according to google is about a 40 minute drive each way.

Later today we will go back to the county tax collectors office to register the car - which is about 20 minutes from here - you would think we were living in a back water instead of just outside Orlando!

The import lady just met me at our local tax collector's office so I wouldn't have to drive to Ocala. She told me they are assigned to regions and just travel to each area as the need arises.

Oh, well that would have been incredibly handy!

Yeah. Would have been nice if they'd bothered to inform your husband that that option was available to him. <_<

Umm..yeah!

Anyway, when he got back we took off for Sanford, to the tax collector's office. It used to be an old hospital, it looks like a school.

Anyhoo, we handed over all the paperwork and she said she needed the 'title' - I pointed to the registration and said that is our title.

She went to check with her supervisor and all was ok with the registration as title.

Long story short, we have our Florida plates, I paid an extra $7 to have them issue the title today and there you go.

Just as we were paying/leaving I asked her if she was going to give us back our Alberta Registration - she said no, that all goes to Tallahasse - 'you are a resident of Florida now'.

So I guess we are residents of Florida now. :lol:

Oh and I think it's cool that we got to name our own 'fair market value' for taxes!

Edited by trailmix

Anyway, when he got back we took off for Sanford, to the tax collector's office. It used to be an old hospital, it looks like a school.

Anyhoo, we handed over all the paperwork and she said she needed the 'title' - I pointed to the registration and said that is our title.

She went to check with her supervisor and all was ok with the registration as title.

Long story short, we have our Florida plates, I paid an extra $7 to have them issue the title today and there you go.

Just as we were paying/leaving I asked her if she was going to give us back our Alberta Registration - she said no, that all goes to Tallahasse - 'you are a resident of Florida now'.

So I guess we are residents of Florida now. :lol:

Oh and I think it's cool that we got to name our own 'fair market value' for taxes!

Hmm. Glad I didn't go to Sanford's tax collector. I got to keep my Ontario registration. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline
Hmm. Glad I didn't go to Sanford's tax collector. I got to keep my Ontario registration. lol

They didn't cut the corner off your Canadian driver's license either did they? At the Daytona DMV they gave Mike 2 choices - he could get a Florida only license and keep his Alberta license or he could get a 'good in all States' license and they would cut the corner off his Alberta license. He did the latter.

They didn't cut the corner off your Canadian driver's license either did they? At the Daytona DMV they gave Mike 2 choices - he could get a Florida only license and keep his Alberta license or he could get a 'good in all States' license and they would cut the corner off his Alberta license. He did the latter.

No. But they also didn't mention anything about a license which only allows me to drive in Florida???!!! I've checked the dmv website but there's nothing in there about it, either. What the heck?

iagree.gif

Timeline

No. But they also didn't mention anything about a license which only allows me to drive in Florida???!!! I've checked the dmv website but there's nothing in there about it, either. What the heck?

This is probably what she was talking about:

Part-time Resident

Part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only."

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On my second day here, my husband's coworker stopped by to say that there's something I need to warn you about. Steve is 62 years old and close to retirement. The Weather Service here has a club called the Weather Service Wives Club and once a month they meet, go out for lunch and have a general hen party. My wife never goes and always has an excuse pre-made a month in advance. Once you get into this cult there is no getting out. :lol:

My husband looks at me and laughs because he knows how generally antisocial I can be. So I ran into the boss' wife yesterday who was a gem and she cornered me about going to the lunch this Saturday. I didn't have an excuse prepared and am a terrible liar. I couldn't do anything else other than just stutter and say sure that sounds nice - what time? :bonk:

Since then I have had 3 phone calls to the house to greet me to the club and the island. Saw Steve and he laughed and said - see you should have started on an excuse as soon as I told you. They're like ninjas waiting for the perfect opportunity to ask. :help:

Actually, I'm game for anything once. Maybe we have our own tattoos and secret handshake?

11540__yaya1_l.jpg

:lol: Can't wait to hear about it!!

If they start all bringing out the hand mirrors- run!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am heading back to bed for a few hours... just saw hubby out the door.. he is gong to help his dad today which is what he did yesterday too.. he did go to Labor Ready but he waited there for 3 hours and only one of the regulars got any work :blink:

hopefully he starts back at his old job next week.... they are just running the background check and drug test right now.. which I think is weird because he just worked there like 4 months ago :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
:lol: Can't wait to hear about it!!

If they start all bringing out the hand mirrors- run!

Yeah cat, I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes too!!

Good morning everyone. For the first morning in months, when I got up, there wasn't any condensation on the sliding doors, much cooler out there this morning.

It's interesting that because of the humidity here, temperatures that are quite warm in dry Calgary are really quite coolish here - which I expected, but interesting none-the-less!

While we were out yesterday we came across one of the Linen and Things stores that's closing, so we popped in to take a look. They are so overpriced - this is where I would point the finger, without looking at the books, if someone asked me why they are closing, I doubt they will :hehe:

beignetscafe-du-monde.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tonight is Tegan & Sara night for me and mandy (thetreble).

:D

I always find it so hard to work on the day of a concert. I get too excited. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

morning all.. can i have an XL coffee today? Man.. i dreamt about my ex husband last night.. bah! Hate it when that happens.. it's never good. :blink:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just saw this on the Yahoo.Ca homepage: Black Bear goes into Subway shop in B.C.

Hope the link works. The bear is cute though!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/081001/cana..._food_kitimat_1

Timeline
I just saw this on the Yahoo.Ca homepage: Black Bear goes into Subway shop in B.C.

Hope the link works. The bear is cute though!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/081001/cana..._food_kitimat_1

Until they shot the poor thing :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.