thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just thinking of this again, I don't know if I mentioned it or not - but anyway.

A few weeks ago we pulled in to the Walgreen's parking lot. In front of the store a nice little Florida woman was getting out of here SUV - looking as harmless as can be.

On the back of her vehicle she had a bumper sticker:

"You're in America now, speak English!"

I still think about that - I find it so offensive...and weird!

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
The side of our house has been washed away from the torrential downpours and the water is seeping through in one corner.

I just re-read what I wrote and realized I made an error. I still have a side to my house. In fact, I have four of them. It's the ground that's been washed away. Not the house. :lol:

I was just thinking of this again, I don't know if I mentioned it or not - but anyway.

A few weeks ago we pulled in to the Walgreen's parking lot. In front of the store a nice little Florida woman was getting out of here SUV - looking as harmless as can be.

Wow. How welcoming. People have no idea how ironic (and moronic) that is. They think they're being smart when they say/do things like that, but it just highlights how ignorant they are. I would never sport a bumper-sticker that says "Hey! Look at me! I'm an idiot!"

iagree.gif

Timeline
The side of our house has been washed away from the torrential downpours and the water is seeping through in one corner.

I just re-read what I wrote and realized I made an error. I still have a side to my house. In fact, I have four of them. It's the ground that's been washed away. Not the house. :lol:

And I, on the other hand, read that the side of your house was washed away and it only slightly registered - glad to hear all 4 are standing :thumbs:

And I, on the other hand, read that the side of your house was washed away and it only slightly registered - glad to hear all 4 are standing :thumbs:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense because who wouldn't be sitting on the computer writing about garage sales and cats when half their house is missing. I mean, seriously. This is VJ, you know. I gotta get my fix. (Not to mention that the computer is on the side of the wall which would be lying in the mud. :lol: )

iagree.gif

Oh, and thanks for the support! "The sun will shine." Of course it will shine.... there's a hole in my house! :bonk:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hehe besides which - she's got it wrong - she's saying you're in the United States now so speak the language we borrowed from one of our original founding countries - England :lol: - I think she mean's "speak 'Murican" - as Joe's Mom pronounces it!

Did you read the research that shows people - anyone - who has any type of bumper sticker on their vehicle is more likely to particpate in road rage or 'possessive' road behaviour, even those with the feel good religious slogans? I found that interesting, indeed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Dear Krikit,

I hope things are getting better for you and those around you.

Do take care...as I am sure you are doing.

(L)

And dear Trailmix,

I have yet to see that bumper sticker, and my sweetie just informed me that that is quite popular around here.

Hmm...it is totally offensive and creates more hatred and separation.

Together we stand folks...

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

I've always wanted the darwin fish w/ the legs. I always laugh when I see that.

Though I am not a bumper sticker type, but if I were...I would get the darwin fish.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning everyone

logo.gif

coffee460.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Interesting discussion on bumper stickers all!! Hubby & I were shopping in East Hartford one day and we went to Walmart, and literally no one spoke English there - not the customers or the check out people - it was all Spanish..as we were leaving the store my husband says - are we still in America? :blink:

I just gave him "the look" as I recall.. :bonk: honestly... My hubby bless his dear little heart - I never classify as intolerant, but everyone has blind spots I think when it comes to this stuff.. We had a long discussion how I didn't find that weird at all.. it's perfectly normal to go to Monton (for example) and hear mostly French.. I think it's amazing, and I'm the dumb one for not being able to speak more French after all..

I really want to learn Spanish.. that way when (and this has happened) I go to a store and people stop speaking English and switch over to Spanish, I can know what the heck is going on! :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Good morning!

The today show is on and they are focusing on Michelle Obama.

Right now they are having a long conversation about what she wears.

Now the interviewer - Harry - (who is interviewing some 'fashion' person) - says something along the lines of - do you think it's unusual that we are focusing on this.

Fashion person says she thinks Michelle is happy to be known as a "budding political fashion icon".

It just makes me shake my head, I could care less what Michelle Obama wears....I mean really. She seems like a very nice, well spoken, intelligent woman - that is probably what she wants to be known for, rather than what she is wearing.

Edited by trailmix

Good morning!

The today show is on and they are focusing on Michelle Obama.

Right now they are having a long conversation about what she wears.

Now the interviewer - Harry - (who is interviewing some 'fashion' person) - says something along the lines of - do you think it's unusual that we are focusing on this.

Fashion person says she thinks Michelle is happy to be known as a "budding political fashion icon".

It just makes me shake my head, I could care less what Michelle Obama wears....I mean really. She seems like a very nice, well spoken, intelligent woman - that is probably what she wants to be known for, rather than what she is wearing.

Ah, yes, the deep philosophical discussions of drivel.

Hmmm...

I am with you Trailmix.

Any one with any substance of character would not waste a single precious moment about this country's future on what clothing the potential president's wife is choosing.

Besides Michelle is a classy woman, on every level - as far as I have seen. which is not that much.

(I choose to have no TV.)

So.

Where does that leave the USian public, when all they have is media bent on superficial analysis?

People need to stop playing toss the bean bag games and focus on our current issues (politics, environment, people, etc.).

Think, I say.

Think.

Silly, huh?!

Hahahaha!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

I read a fascinating article a few weeks ago about Michelle Obama - one that discussed her accomplishments and her ideals. I was blown away by the woman and think, on her own, she would be a wonderful presidential candidate herself. Together with her husband they are definitely a powerful pair, both of them equally demanding of respect and admiration for their accomplishments. It is kind of sad that all of that gets overlooked to see if she wears the right 'fashionably correct' clothes. Knowing her, however, I suspect she does - she's multi-talented! :D

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

My husband and I laugh about the random tidbits the media introduces so they can keep the story going. I think he does that so I won't go off the deep end. :lol:

So. Big thunderstorm going on here. Oh, and look! More rain. Coming down in buckets. How novel. Anyway.... if I should stop posting but yet I am still logged on, you will know that my power has gone out. Because that's what it does here when it rains. :angry:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.