thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Awww Now, little frogs I could handle...Glad though you didn't have to sit in a chair in front of the fridge all day. :lol:

:lol:

I just spotted this article in the Calgary Herald - thought it was kind of interesting - the place was really packed when it first opened - lines at the drive through etc.

Krispy Kreme exits Calgary

Herald News Services

Published: Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Doughnuts - Krispy Kreme rode into Calgary just over four years ago boasting a cult-like brand, a reputation for freshness and an air that was expected to put a double-double dose of humility into Tim Hortons fans.

But the same store that saw people lining up for its 6 a.m. opening in 2004 is now shut.

At the northeast location is posted a simple notice stating: "Sorry, this Krispy Kreme location is closed as of August 1, 2008."

As retail analysts tell the Herald's Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary never warmed up to the franchise, opting instead to stick with the likes of Tim Hortons, Starbucks and Good Earth Cafe.

A Krispy Kreme representative told the Herald the store is a victim of Krispy Kreme's "turnaround strategy," which includes closing "underperforming stores." link

Indeed, Krispy Kreme's Canadian stores are in bankruptcy proceedings I think.

Ah...Just found this...

The 18 stores which opened in Canada, out of 32 planned, have since been reduced to 6 stores. Three of those exist in Quebec (in Laval, Greenfield Park, and Quebec City) while the other three stores are in Calgary, Mississauga, and Surrey, British Columbia. Krispy Kreme's Canadian assets were put up for sale in 2005 seven weeks after the U.S.-based doughnut company had the firm that owns and operates stores in Canada placed under bankruptcy protection. On August 1, 2008, Krispy Kreme in Calgary officially closed it's doors giving no prior notice.

I know before they opened one near my parents, there was a lot of concern because of the "stuff" they make their donuts with? Anyway, in fact, and I'm just out the door so I can't research it now, Krispy Kreme does put some stuff in their donuts that were either not allowed in food products in Canada, or something, because they actually had to change some of their recipes for Canadian Food standards. They were actually less chemical or less fat or something. I know that there was lineups at the one near my parents, and we did in fact try one while I was visiting there. I had a glazed one, and I swear, I took a bite, and grease squirted out the other end and splashed on the floor. :lol: They were horrible.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I had a glazed one, and I swear, I took a bite, and grease squirted out the other end and splashed on the floor. laughing.gif They were horrible.

That was my experience with them too. Never again - blech!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
What is BDS? :blink:

Bondage and Discipline Servant

:P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

BDS?

Hahaha!

Good Morning One & All,

I miss this place at times.

And when I get back to my other home I will read back a little and catch up with all of you.

My cup has refilleth and I am good to return tomorrow.

So much emotion and so much processing...you'd think I was put to the test; again! :P

I threw a beach party/get-together extrvaganza yesterday and it lasted over 10 hours. (2 - midnight)

And some of the people I thought would come, did not, and some people I never met came and became instant family.

I love this kind of shtuff.

I figured I was running too much and invited people to come to me at the beach and hang out.

And it worked; quite different from what I had imagined, and worked.

Perfect....as is. :D

It would have been even more perfect if the sky had cleared so that we could have seen the meteor showers.

Each place and person I visit with, well, I die a little death each time I leave.

Hmmmm...so blessed to have so many homes and people to love, and so cursed as it is so challenging to say, "See ya"....never "Bye".

The stay is too short.

And I am coming back Chicago, so brace thyself.

Nothing will be the same!

Full-on and inspired.

Yippee!!!!!!!!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I like Krispy Kreme donuts! The one here is amazing. I know it's terrible for me, so it's definitely only a once in awhile pleasure. I never was a huge fan of Tim Horton's! I know it's a sacrilege to say as I am a full blooded Canadian, but it's true! Tim Horton's are all parboiled and frozen before they get to the store, and when your ex works there for like 4 years it just gets yucky! The smell on him when he would come home used to make me gag!

Okay, that being said....PLEASE don't kick me out! I promise, other than that, I'm a good Canadian! ~giggles~

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

no, Tims donuts do suck!!! lol I'm off to RI tonight and they have a few Timmies! 9/10 times the coffee doesnt quite taste the same, but I'm a sucker and occasionally go back,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I had a glazed one, and I swear, I took a bite, and grease squirted out the other end and splashed on the floor. laughing.gif They were horrible.

That was my experience with them too. Never again - blech!

ewe.. that's gross...

Hubby keeps telling me how good they are straight out of the oven, thankfully we've never been by the local krispy kreme when the sign's been lit (they are hot come 'n get 'em :))

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is my absolute weakness! I almost have to close my eyes when we go by it just in case. It's a good thing he does most of the driving, otherwise we'd stop in there every time that light's on! They are absolutely the best when they come straight out of the oven. Not to mention the fact that if you go in when the light is on they give you a fresh one, warm, for FREE! Now who can resist a warm fresh free donut? :P I certainly can't!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
no", Tims donuts do suck!!! lol I'm off to RI tonight and they have a few Timmies! 9/10 times the coffee doesnt quite taste the same, but I'm a sucker and occasionally go back,lol

they used to be so good too.. it is quite sad that they don't make them fresh in the store anymore...

i used to work in a bakery.. I liked the day old long johns the best... yum...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I went to Krispy Kreme once.. i really don't get the appeal.. the donuts were not that great :no:

They weren't really doughnuts, they were a uber-glazed circles of dough. The rumbling in my gut after I ate one was my pancreas swearing at me. :lol: Seriously, I think Krispy Krap single-handedly doubled the number of diabetics in the communities they operated in. :crying: Tried'em once, never again, they closed down after about 18 mos. in these parts.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

the best doughnuts I have ever had are at this Chinese Fast Food place.. and no I am not talking about those Chinese donut things (which I do love, I get them all the time at our favourite Chinese Buffet place) but real doughnuts, glazed, jelly filled etc... they are sooo good... even better then Tim Hortons used to be... :whistle:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
BDS?

Hahaha!

Good Morning One & All,

I miss this place at times.

And when I get back to my other home I will read back a little and catch up with all of you.

My cup has refilleth and I am good to return tomorrow.

So much emotion and so much processing...you'd think I was put to the test; again! :P

I threw a beach party/get-together extrvaganza yesterday and it lasted over 10 hours. (2 - midnight)

And some of the people I thought would come, did not, and some people I never met came and became instant family.

I love this kind of shtuff.

I figured I was running too much and invited people to come to me at the beach and hang out.

And it worked; quite different from what I had imagined, and worked.

Perfect....as is. :D

It would have been even more perfect if the sky had cleared so that we could have seen the meteor showers.

Each place and person I visit with, well, I die a little death each time I leave.

Hmmmm...so blessed to have so many homes and people to love, and so cursed as it is so challenging to say, "See ya"....never "Bye".

The stay is too short.

And I am coming back Chicago, so brace thyself.

Nothing will be the same!

Full-on and inspired.

Yippee!!!!!!!!

:star:

And still there is room to fill. :thumbs: Always an honour to have you back. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Carla I don't know how you do it.. every morning.. VJ Canada Off Topic Forum is like your job!!! I salute you this am (and if i could figure out how to post an emoticon to salute you I truly would) PLEASE someone help me.. gah.. it's too early to be awake.. see Carla? I'd be a complete failure at bringing coffee in the am :)

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.