thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, I don't know about that Len! Tofu tastes WORSE than nothing! ~giggles~ I keep trying to eat it though. I hear you Krikit. It's easy to put weight on fast. I gained almost 10 pounds in the first month that I was here. I looked at that and quickly put on the brakes! I try to eat organic if possible and the least amount of packaged food as possible. HFCS has no place in food. I just don't get it! I picked up the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels and it's awesome! It's bloody hard, but it's AMAZING. Down 8.75 inches all over in TWO WEEKS! YAY!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can sympathize with the weight thing - I gained about 15 extra pounds that have nothing to do with the quantity of food I eat as I actually eat less than I did in Canada but it is a hassle trying to avoid the HFCS and I guess I don't always succeed. :-(((( It seems harder to loose weight too after you go through menopause - now it is settling in places it never settled before and my body shape is changing - which I don't like!

About those little lizards - we have them climb across the screens outside which causes the cats no end of enjoyment trying to chase them, but fortunately they haven't made it inside yet. The life of any lizard would be worthless the moment it crossed the sill of a door or window though - these cats are hungry for live prey. Bear and Lion stalked a moth inside for 2 days before it was foolish enough to swoop low (probably looking for water) and Bear made short work of it. I have actually put up removable inner screens (the ones that slide open to fit the space and you can get for under $10 at any place selling hardware) to protect the outer screens. They work great!

This morning one of our neighbour cats (the one who tries to attack ours through the window) caught a Mockingbird and didn't kill it. Poor bird - I 'rescued' it - it kept squawking at me and trying to fly away but seemed winded more than really injured. As the neighbour's cat was still trying to get to it/play with it, I picked it up and carried it around to the front of the house and placed it underneath some bushes there with a little dish of water. The neighbour cat stayed in the backyard still 'stalking' the bush where I found the bird. The bird was still under the bush I placed him when I left to get groceries but wasn't there anymore when I came back so I sure hope he was okay and flew away. I couldn't see anything wrong with him - she was trying to suffocate him and I think that is what got to him rather than any injuries. I don't like it when the cats hunt and kill birds - especially when they don't need them for food- but I like it even less when they injure them and don't kill them and they end up dying slowly. So, I really hope this bird recovered and flew away. I just love the mockingbirds - they are so active and pretty and sing beautifully - even at night.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
Oh, I don't know about that Len! Tofu tastes WORSE than nothing! ~giggles~ I keep trying to eat it though. I hear you Krikit. It's easy to put weight on fast. I gained almost 10 pounds in the first month that I was here. I looked at that and quickly put on the brakes! I try to eat organic if possible and the least amount of packaged food as possible. HFCS has no place in food. I just don't get it! I picked up the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels and it's awesome! It's bloody hard, but it's AMAZING. Down 8.75 inches all over in TWO WEEKS! YAY!

Naaaaaa --- tofu doesn't really taste at all. It grabs its flavor from whichever you cook it with. I usually get some nice tika masala sauce from Trader Joe's and after frying the tofu in peanut oil (first coat it with some flour), I let it simmer in the sauce. Pretty yummy.

p.s. ####### is HFCS??? Me don't underssstand :unsure:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my hubby likes the tofu in the sweet and sour soup he always gets at our favourite Chinese buffet place...

Naaaaaa --- tofu doesn't really taste at all. It grabs its flavor from whichever you cook it with. I usually get some nice tika masala sauce from Trader Joe's and after frying the tofu in peanut oil (first coat it with some flour), I let it simmer in the sauce. Pretty yummy.

p.s. ####### is HFCS??? Me don't underssstand :unsure:

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup....

tofu is kind of like water chestnuts.. if you eat them by themselves they don't taste like anything but if you mix them in with other stuff it grabs the flavour from the other ingredients...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I put on 40 pounds or so in the first 8 or 9 months after I moved here , thankfully I didn't really gain anymore weight after that and then last December I lost about 15 pounds on the hospital food diet :P and I kept it off for the longest time but now I have put 10 lbs back on :( .. I really don't eat that much but I am not very active... must get more active :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Everyone says that tofu doesn't have much taste and that it tastes like what you put it with, but unless I cut it into VERY small chunks and marinate it, I still think it tastes like tofu. I dunno. ~shrugs~ I will keep trying though. Maybe it will eventually grow on me. It's a great source of protein, that's for sure.

Oh and Len, the High Fructose Corn Syrup is in almost EVERYTHING! Even bread! It weirds me out. Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

I know nothing about weight loss or gain, not a thing. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Welcome back krikit!! How was your holiday....stories to tell!?

Thanks, Trailmix! My holiday was fabulous. Except when British Airways lost my luggage in Barcelona. Did you know that one pair of men's underwear in London costs $50? :angry: We just got back last night. Well, technically, we got back August 4th, but we just had time to do the laundry, re-pack, then drive to Myrtle Beach to spend the rest of the week with my husband's family. I am SO glad to be back home. But I do have a great tan. :P And, yes, I have many stories to tell. But my brain is too fried to process it all at the moment. :lol: Plus, we've just had some terrible news and I'm very sad right now, so I'm still processing that. You know you're not thinking straight when you come to VJ for a bit of normalcy. :blink:

Glad to have you back and a $50 pair of underwear, maybe at Harrod's or on Savile Row but at Marks & Spencer???

Normalcy and VJ, I thought that those two terms were mutually exclusive. :lol:

IR5

Timeline
I know nothing about weight loss or gain, not a thing. :lol:

Shut up and eat your tofu.

No and you can't make me. :P BTW, if you don't give me any pudding, I'm going to sit on you. :lol:

IR5

Good morning! This morning's coffee is brought to you in celebration of all kitties out there. I'm not a pet owner, but do love everyone's pictures! Enjoy your day!

funny-pictures-kittens-coffee-cups.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline
Glad to have you back and a $50 pair of underwear, maybe at Harrod's or on Savile Row but at Marks & Spencer???

There's a story with every statement, isn't there? lol. Unfortunately (fortunately?) we were staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court in Central London and were nowhere near a Marks & Sparks. Harrods and Piccadilly and Savile Row, yes..... but M&S, no. Plus, we were on a strict schedule with various events booked months in advance (dinner at Pearl, Shakespeare at The Globe, afternoon champagne tea at Fortnum & Mason) so there was very little time left to search for underpants. Had to run down the street to find a pharmacy which sold toothbrushes, deodorant, makeup, etc. Which reminds me.... I need to write a letter requesting reimbursement for my expenses. :angry:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning everyone.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning!

So my Mom called me yesterday, there was a big fire yesterday morning at the apartment building where she lives - they got woken up by the alarms at around 5 a.m. - lucky for her she is one of the people who live on the 3rd floor so she was back in her apartment around noon.

It's a seniors complex - but not a 'care' facility - completely independant living - the fire station is on the next block. So her friend that lives in the complex came and got her and helped her down the stairs and then parked her in his van. Then they wheeled her down to the fire station - then they all got on a bus a few hours later and then they all ended up at the seniors community center down the street.

Anyway, they figure the guy was smoking in bed - no mention of the fact that he's an alcoholic and that he is also unwell and no doubt on some kind of medication.

450_CGY_fire_seniors1_080811.jpg

On another note, my BIL went for an interview at the Hormel plant yesterday - machine something person - anyway, they told him to expect to spend 1 hour there - half an hour with the HR person and half with the department person.

So he goes to the interview at 2:00 a few hours later i'm talking to my Sister and she is wondering where he is. He finally calls around 5ish I believe it was...he is still there, doing written tests etc etc, while they are talking he says "I have to go take a welding test now" - she says so you will be home in about an hour? He says yes and hangs up.

Around 7 she is STILL waiting for him to get home - I'm saying do you think they are holding him hostage at the Hormel plant or?? (I am really helpful as you can see).

He finally arrives home at 7:15 - a 5 HOUR 'interview'!!!!

So after all that, they will let him know next week.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have everyone in for the 1 hour interview and then once you have a short list put them through the 5 hour interview!? And at least warn them so they can bring snacks and a thermos :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.